U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 09:45 PM

10,464 posts, read 7,414,883 times

Advertisements

Here's hoping everyone gets some action under the mistletoe this weekend.

Today's Question(s):

Are you still living in the town/city where you grew up?

If you are, why did you stay?

If not, why did you leave? Do you get homesick?

Extra Credit Question(s):

Does/Did your place of work give holiday bonuses?

Was it a good bonus like cash , or more along the lines of a membership to the jelly of the month club ?

Bonus Question(s):

Are you a fan of the home shopping channels?

Have you ever bought anything? Do tell.

Just For Fun:

Does your family send out a holiday card to friends and extended family?

Is it a traditional family photo card or do you make it something fun and unusual?

Superfluous Question(s):

Have you ever won a bet or a wager? What did you "win"?

Have you ever lost one? What did you "lose"?

Today is:

Crossword Puzzle Day
Forefathers' Day
Humbug Day
National Homeless Persons Remembrance Day
Phileas Fogg Win A Wager Day
World Peace Day/Winter Solstice
Yalda

Today in History: (I don't normally do this one, but I feel like shakin' it up.)

1620 - The Pilgrims land at Plymouth Rock
1898 - Scientists Pierre and Marie Curie discover radium
1913 - First crossword puzzle published
1967 - The Graduate opens in New York
1988 - Pan Am Flight 103 explodes in midair over Lockerbie, Scotland
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 09:55 PM

3,646 posts, read 1,688,270 times
[quote=spinx;22207064]Here's hoping everyone gets some action under the mistletoe this weekend. LMAO!!!!

Today's Question(s):

Are you still living in the town/city where you grew up? yes

If you are, why did you stay? moved away for a while because of the military. Moved back because family was here and I like living in a small town.

Does/Did your place of work give holiday bonuses? yes

Was it a good bonus like cash , or more along the lines of a membership to the jelly of the month club ? $50

Bonus Question(s):

Are you a fan of the home shopping channels? no

Have you ever bought anything? Do tell. A long time ago I bought some kind of frying pan and a food dehydrator.

Just For Fun:

Does your family send out a holiday card to friends and extended family? yes

Is it a traditional family photo card or do you make it something fun and unusual? no

Superfluous Question(s):

Have you ever won a bet or a wager? What did you "win"? I don't remember but it would have been something mundane and only a dollar wager.

Have you ever lost one? What did you "lose"? probably a dollar.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:02 PM
bjh

20,417 posts, read 12,222,675 times
Today's Question(s):
No. Partly for work, partly because I like the area. I don't get homesick.

I have worked at a company that gave bonuses.
Was it a good bonus like cash , or more along the lines of a membership to the jelly of the month club ?
It was a month's pay. Not too shabby.

Bonus Question(s):
No, never have.

Just For Fun:
Is it a traditional family photo card or do you make it something fun and unusual?
We send ordinary Christmas cards. No photo, no newsletter.

Superfluous Question(s):
Both won and lost. Nothing I can remember, just little things.

Today is:
Crossword Puzzle Day puzzling
Forefathers' Day Where would the forefathers be without the foremothers?
World Peace Day/Winter Solstice and tomorrow . . .
Yalda Gonna have to look that one up.

Last edited by bjh; 12-20-2011 at 10:16 PM..

Old 12-20-2011, 10:11 PM

5,685 posts, read 5,583,118 times
Why, how nice - I stopped in one last time before heading to bed, and here's the new question for Wednesday already! Thanks, Spinx, it'll be another busy one tomorrow, so this is likely my only chance to stop by.

Today's Question(s):

Nope, haven't lived there since I was 18 years old.

If not, why did you leave?

I left initially to go to college, then discovered I liked the new city much better, plus I met my spouse there, and what with one thing and another, I never had any real reason to move back to my birthplace. The economy there was awful in the 1970s and isn't any better now, so it would have been pretty tough to raise a family there anyway.

Do you get homesick?

Not for the city where I grew up. I was very homesick for the Midwest in general when we moved elsewhere in the country in 1981, and was overjoyed to get back here 18 years later.

My first real professional job gave out holiday bonuses. I left that employer twelve years ago, though, and they may have discontinued it since then. It was a huge boon to get an extra something at the holidays, though; I remember my first bonus there was $50 (this was back in 1981), and that was all the money we had for Christmas gifts for each other and the whole family.

Was it a good bonus like cash , or more along the lines of a membership to the jelly of the month club?

It was a check every year, and was always very welcome.

Bonus Question(s):

I never watch television, so I've never bought anything from a TV show.

Just For Fun:

Yes, we do. This year we sent out around 75 or so total cards.

Both my spouse and I are allergic to having our photos taken, and our kids are in their late 20s, so we don't do family photos. We generally get two styles of cards, one traditional for the older generation and one funny for the middle-aged/younger set, and we hand-write a note in each one of them. We try to make the notes funny, with mixed success. A lot of our relatives don't understand our humor, although those who do seem to find the cards quite amusing.

Superfluous Question(s):

Sorry, not a betting person.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:34 PM

34,137 posts, read 6,793,658 times
Today's Question(s):

Are you still living in the town/city where you grew up? No, but I'm only about 20 miles away.
If not, why did you leave? Because the city I grew up in is now a wasteland of dilapidated buildings, is overrun by gangs and is a very dangerous place to live. Do you get homesick? Only for the simple life I had as a child growing up in the 50s and 60s. Our city was so beautiful back then.

Does/Did your place of work give holiday bonuses? I've received small bonuses a couple of times when the economy was better. Nothing so far this year, but it's possible the boss will give us a little something extra before the week is out. I'm not counting on it though. It'll be a pleasant surprise if it happens. I did receive a lovely flower arrangement from my boss on Monday.

Was it a good bonus like cash , or more along the lines of a membership to the jelly of the month club ? Haha - no jelly. I got a turkey last month, though.

Bonus Question(s):
Are you a fan of the home shopping channels? Nope.

Just For Fun:
Does your family send out a holiday card to friends and extended family? I send out a lot of cards.
Is it a traditional family photo card or do you make it something fun and unusual? No photos. Just a card. I hand-write a separate letter to go in almost every card (about 70 total), which is getting harder and harder to do each year because I'm gettin' old and have arthritis in my hands. I refuse to generate one of those insipid tomes that people send out as mass-produced family newsletters.

Superfluous Question(s):
Have you ever won a bet or a wager? What did you "win"? I've gone to horse (harness) races several times and bet a couple bucks on each race. Last time I went, about a year ago, I came out about $25 ahead at the end of the night. THAT was a FIRST! If you're asking whether I've ever had a bet with an individual about something, no - I don't think I've ever done that.

Today is:
Crossword Puzzle Day I enjoy doing crossword puzzles, though I'm not very good at the really difficult ones. They have a language all their own, and I'm not familiar with the lingo. I'm a lazy crossword puzzle doer - if it takes more than an hour, I lose interest.
Forefathers' Day Okay.
Humbug Day No humbug here!
National Homeless Persons Remembrance Day I volunteer sometimes at our local homeless shelter. These people should be remembered every day, not just around the holidays.
Phileas Fogg Win A Wager Day Hmmm. Maybe I'll make a wager at the office.
World Peace Day/Winter Solstice Shortest day of the year. Yippee! Each day will be a little longer now, until summer solstice.
Yalda Say WHAT?

Happy hump day, everybody!

Last edited by PJSinger; 12-20-2011 at 10:49 PM..

Old 12-20-2011, 10:38 PM

9,664 posts, read 10,863,732 times
Default Today's Question(s)

Are you still living in the town/city where you grew up?....well i live in the town where I spent the most time but we moved a lot

If you are, why did you stay?....i stay here because i have a good job and my parents were here. I actually did leave for two years I went to No. Calif. but ended up coming back.

Does/Did your place of work give holiday bonuses?....One of them did but not the present one.

Was it a good bonus like cash , or more along the lines of a membership to the jelly of the month club ? ....It was a nice cash bonus plus food baskets and all sorts of stuff.

Bonus Question(s):

Are you a fan of the home shopping channels?...nope

Have you ever bought anything? Do tell........I bought a sandwich cooker and a Nuwave oven both work well and i still use them

Just For Fun:

Does your family send out a holiday card to friends and extended family? ...No

Superfluous Question(s):

Have you ever won a bet or a wager? What did you "win"?...I don't bet it's just a sure way for me to lose

Last edited by Roaddog; 12-20-2011 at 11:53 PM..

Old 12-20-2011, 10:50 PM

4,318 posts, read 3,198,785 times
Today's Question(s):

Seeing how I grew up in 7 different towns, it is a safe bet I am not living in at least 6 of them. Actually I am not living in any of them.

6 of the 7 places I did not have much choice. My dad transfered every few years. I do not really get homesick. I was never in one place long enough to be from there. While I always made friends wherever we moved to, I was still an outsider.

Sometimes

Usually cash. Being salaried (sort of) I do not get overtime. However If I work Christmas I get an extras days pay. Seeing how there is no way they can get me home before Christmas, it is looking good for getting the extra days pay.

Bonus Question(s):

Not even remotely. I am a real hands on kind of person when it comes to buying stuff. There is little chance of me buying something I have not been able to touch first.

Nope

Just For Fun:

Seeing how there is just the three of us (me, myself, and I) we never seem to get around to sending cards.

The cards I do not send are pretty Plain Jane.

Superfluous Question(s):

I have won many bets. Usually a buck or two or a round of drinks.

I rarely lose bets. It is not often I bet on something that I do not already know the outcome.

Last edited by Alaskan Mutt; 12-20-2011 at 11:09 PM..

Old 12-20-2011, 11:01 PM

28,311 posts, read 21,324,391 times
Today's Question(s):

Are you still living in the town/city where you grew up? No, thank God.

If you are, why did you stay? n/a

If not, why did you leave? Do you get homesick? No way, it's an Industrial Park now..

Does/Did your place of work give holiday bonuses? Some did some didn't.

Was it a good bonus like cash , or more along the lines of a membership to the jelly of the month club ? Cash.

Bonus Question(s):

Are you a fan of the home shopping channels? No.

Have you ever bought anything? No. Do tell.

Just For Fun:

Does your family send out a holiday card to friends and extended family? Yes about 60.

Is it a traditional family photo card or do you make it something fun and unusual? Regular cards with a note/letter.

Superfluous Question(s):

Have you ever won a bet or a wager? Several times. What did you "win"? Alot.

Have you ever lost one? Yes. What did you "lose"? Alot.

Today is:

Crossword Puzzle Day I do up to 10 a day.
Forefathers' Day I only have one.
Humbug Day Bah!
National Homeless Persons Remembrance Day I remember them all the time.
Phileas Fogg Win A Wager Day
World Peace Day/Winter Solstice
Yalda

Let's all enjoy hump day today...

Old 12-20-2011, 11:02 PM

1,011 posts, read 578,735 times
Here's hoping everyone gets some action under the mistletoe this weekend.

I already got Even we do not have that way...

Today's Question(s):

Are you still living in the town/city where you grew up? No

If not, why did you leave? Do you get homesick? Studyings... Not so much anymore it has grown huge

Superfluous Question(s):

Have you ever won a bet or a wager? What did you "win"? I do not bet on real life

Have you ever lost one? What did you "lose"? No

Today is:
Humbug Day Yessss!!!!!!

Old 12-20-2011, 11:05 PM

7,710 posts, read 1,500,962 times
Today's Question(s):

Are you still living in the town/city where you grew up? No, I live on the other side of the world!

If not, why did you leave? I grew up in England. Didn't like the weather. Plus my best friend and I had become friends with a lot of Australians and New Zealanders while living in London. We figured they would return to the Antipodes at some point, and it only cost ten pounds to emigrate to Australia - a bargain too good to pass up!
Do you get homesick? Nope.

I had my own business and never gave myself a bonus!

Bonus Question(s):

Are you a fan of the home shopping channels? Absolutely not!

Have you ever bought anything? Nope

Just For Fun:

Does your family send out a holiday card to friends and extended family? Some years I send out cards, other years not. This was a 'not' year.

Is it a traditional family photo card or do you make it something fun and unusual? Just standard cards.

Superfluous Question(s):

Have you ever won a bet or a wager? What did you "win"? I've been to the races a few times, but never bet more than I'm prepared to lose. Sometimes I lose the entire amount ($20 or so) and sometimes I win a few bucks. I sometimes make bets with friends, but not usually money bets... just silly bets.

Happy Hump Day!

Last edited by Kobber; 12-20-2011 at 11:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics