Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 06:10 PM

72 posts, read 153,289 times

Advertisements

I've noticed that people sometimes get teased because of their names. I was wondering if anyone else had been teased about this too.

I once got a comment about my name. My name is Zaki, which is an Arabic boys' name meaning "pure". A young girl I knew asked me "why do you have a girls' name?" I was taken aback, but I told her it's a boys' name. She must have thought that it was a girls' nickname along the lines of Tori, Danni, or Jamie.

My name does have a female form, though - the female form is Zakiyya. Most Arabic names ending in I are masculine, but some, like Nazli and Amani, are feminine.

I once got even worse because of the last letter of my name. A few times people have told me that my name sounded immature, since it kinda sounds like a nickname for the English name Zachary. I don't have a problem with being called Zack, though. I did gotten a dumb comparison to Zac Efron once. Some guy said to me "Oh, like Zac Efron?"

So, have you or anyone that you know been teased because of their name?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 07:43 PM

866 posts, read 1,132,158 times
As a kid I was teased or made fun of by the other school kids...
When I got older and joined the military, people made comments about my last name(mostly the guys)

Now, I really don't pay any attention to those crude people who find it amusing to make wise cracks
about my name. It's my name and I'm proud of it...

Old 03-23-2012, 10:37 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,204,490 times
Other than having one dipshidiot who insisted on calling me Pammy Whammy in high school, no.

I have had friends with very unusual names though and people made fun of them. One reason why I gave my kids normal, everyday names.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:45 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,124,125 times
I can't say that I have had anyone made remarks about my first or last name, however I was teased about the corrective shoes I had to wear in elementary school. Kids are basically cruel and it makes them feel much better when they can berate another. I believe this is why W C Field said he liked children as long as they were properly cooked.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:46 PM

61,290 posts, read 87,099,452 times
yes i got beat up, and i beat them. it was pretty rough either way.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:30 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,746,783 times
Only a nickname. It's a bear to OWN it!

Old 03-23-2012, 11:34 PM

39,031 posts, read 22,947,135 times
I've never been made fun of for my name as it is common (sort of) but so many nicknames have been created by friends and family out of my name.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:35 PM

44,257 posts, read 19,919,237 times
I was teased about my last name throughout my school years, but it never bothered me. It was never cruel. I have a short name that rhymes with a lot of words, and kids had a field day with it! I still, at age 58, occasionally have someone make a funny comment about it. One of my co-workers kids me about it every time we pass in the hallway, and I don't mind a bit! I just laugh along with him.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:46 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,457,808 times
Yes, constantly, about my last name. Still do. But I notice it's mainly by people who are not around other cultures. I don't let it bother me now. In fact, I have learned to expect it from certain kinds of people.

Old 03-24-2012, 07:21 AM

1,011 posts, read 1,253,498 times
Yes and someone just also bullied my spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics