Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you share your food with strangers?
Yes, if I am flirting 4 12.12%
Yes 11 33.33%
No 7 21.21%
What the heck? 11 33.33%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 03:41 AM

9,006 posts, read 13,785,413 times

Advertisements

Call me any name,but I don't like when people offer the homeless food that they ate off or was part of their meal(someone said they gave french fries to a hungry kid).
I just buy them their own meal,no one wants food someone breathed on.

No to the op,you said you walk past and ask them how their meal was?
As in a stranger,or someone you know?
If its a stranger,that sounds creepy on your part.
If someone did that to me,I would ask them if they wanted some in a sarcastic way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 07:23 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,137,208 times
The only time I share food is with someone I know. There are restaurants where we'll order a bunch of food, put it in the center of the table and nom on everything.

Now, if a random person offered me food, I would have to decline because who knows what they could have put in it.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:44 AM

3,884 posts, read 6,792,407 times
I have never been offered food from a stranger, nor have I offered food from a stranger. On a related note though, I was at the bar the other night and I thought my beer tasted stale. So I had a friend try it out, he worked at the bar, so he let his manager try the same beer. I have known the manager, but not very well. It was a little odd to me, but overall I didnt mind.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:29 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,750,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
No to the op,you said you walk past and ask them how their meal was?
As in a stranger,or someone you know?
If its a stranger,that sounds creepy on your part.
If someone did that to me,I would ask them if they wanted some in a sarcastic way.

Usually it happens when someone is an adjacent table or bar stool. I will fully admit, I am the queen of small talk. In a crowded place, the odds of me making small talk increase, since you have much less personal space.

In some cases, the strangers look genuinely sad if I turn down their offers of tastes of their food. I wish I was kidding. One day my friend and I were waiting at the bar for our table, a guy was eating dessert. I said, "How is it, I haven't tried it here?" He said, "it's delicious, but I can't finish, can you two help me eat it...."

Last week, a chatty guy was sitting next to us and we were in the middle of brunch, he had some pie, and said "please help me eat my pie." (in addition several other propositions.)

I have sat next to people doing food tastings (wine, beer, etc) and they have offered up tastes of food. I was in a restaurant and the people next to us ordered champagne and they said, hey help us drink it, and then asked the water for more glasses.....

Like I said, I must have a sign as this doesn't seem to happen to anyone else.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:30 AM

3,295 posts, read 6,997,225 times
A total stranger? Never.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:34 AM

2,942 posts, read 5,992,405 times
If you were sitting alone, having a meal and you see a single female sitting at the bar, don't see why you couldn't use the food as a prop to being an "icebreaker". Judging from some of the responses to the poll, I see why a number of people are having a difficult time chatting up members of the opposite sex. You guys really need to start thinking a bit more creatively.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:09 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,074,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by behindthescreen View Post
Yes this happens a lot when people are drinking and having a good time.
Absolutely right. People also buy drinks for each other if they have a rapport. I will not hesitate to offer a mozzarella stick or a buffalo wing to a guy or gal I am having a nice conversation with. From there it's over to the jukebox ( Old school term I know) to discuss music and play it. A great feeling socializing with nice folks and everyone enjoying life and In a good mood, Ignoring the anger, strife and darkness that remains in the world and living. Cause it's true-Tomorrow is promised to no one.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:13 AM

2,006 posts, read 4,296,888 times
Not in a relationship context.

I do it all the time though, I'd rather not see someone reach into a dumpster or a garbage pale and treat them to a nice dinner or meal.

You'd be surprised with the stories of their life and how they got to where they are. When I was growing up I had befriend one of the most impressionable people in my life like this. He was an old man from eastern europe (RIP). I'd see him on the street and we'd go to this caribbean place, discuss philosophy etc. dude taught me the basics of conversational german (using faust!). It was something that I used years later while living abroad.

There was one small period in my life when I lived like this and the shoe was on the other foot, I can empathize with those situations.

but giving my food to some chick that I don't even know? man I don't even do that on dates.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:21 AM

2,942 posts, read 5,992,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordlife View Post

I do it all the time though, I'd rather not see someone reach into a dumpster or a garbage pale and treat them to a nice dinner or meal.

You'd be surprised with the stories of their life and how they got to where they are. When I was growing up I had befriend one of the most impressionable people in my life like this. He was an old man from eastern europe (RIP). I'd see him on the street and we'd go to this caribbean place, discuss philosophy etc. dude taught me the basics of conversational german (using faust!). It was something that I used years later while living abroad.

There was one small period in my life when I lived like this and the shoe was on the other foot, I can empathize with those situations.

but giving my food to some chick that I don't even know? man I don't even do that on dates.
Try grapes....feed them to her......

Old 03-26-2012, 10:47 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,074,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordlife View Post

This is true, You never know who you will meet in life. One of the great mysteries.

As for giving food to a woman you do not know, This can be a great ice breaker! Then you can plan for a private meal for 2 later on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics