Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 03:09 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,532,273 times

Advertisements

My flower beds around the house have soaker hose threading through them and I'm adding it to the areas out front that dry out quickly. Great stuff soaker hoses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2012, 04:26 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,542,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post

Happy weekend, kids! It's that time of year for many of us, when we think about sprucing up our landscapes for the upcoming summer season. Some areas have an ongoing problem with drought, and even when we're not in drought, we should still conserve water. How to do that? Scroll on down for Today's Tip!

TIPS FOR PROTECTING YOUR YARD AND CONSERVING WATER DURING DROUGHT

Water trees first. Trees reduce the temperature of everything around them and are the most expensive things to replace. Drill several 4" wide holes about 24"-30" deep around the base of the tree, being careful not to damage large roots. [Check with your local utility company before you dig!] Fill the holes with compost, which helps water to reach the roots of the tree. Another option is to put your garden hose on a timed, low drip so that the water will seep deep into the ground.

Mulching flower and soil beds will help keep moisture in.

Don't mow your grass too short; 3 to 3.5" is best.

Don't use high-nitrogen fertilizers during a drought.

Repair any leaks in your hose or water spigot.

Attach a water-efficient spray nozzle to the hose.

Water early, before 9 a.m. so that the water doesn't quickly evaporate in the heat of the day.

If you have an irrigation system, set the timer to run only half the normal time. Then run a second cycle after a half-hour has passed. This gives the water a better chance to seep deep into the ground without runoff.

If you can easily jab a 6" screwdriver into your lawn, you can wait a week before watering.

Source: TLC Home "How to Protect Your Yard During a Drought"

I love gardening Pammy...thanks for the tip!

Old 03-31-2012, 10:10 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,535,575 times
Another great tip Pammy. Nitram TY for your input also.

Everyone enjoy your weekend .

Old 04-01-2012, 12:19 AM

44,283 posts, read 19,943,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Kitty View Post
Excellent tips! If I ever have another "yard" these will come in handy. My last tree planted was the desert willow in Texas. It's drought resistant but needed a nudge for a baby tree so did the back and forth thing with the hose. I didn't know about the round-about thingy. The desert willow has a gorgeous flower. I can imagine whoever is now in that house is enjoying what I left behind.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/08...sertwillow.jpg
Wow, Dallas. That is, indeed, a lovely flower!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 04-01-2012, 07:26 AM

11,874 posts, read 11,020,934 times
Quote:
Excellent tips! If I ever have another "yard" these will come in handy. My last tree planted was the desert willow in Texas. It's drought resistant but needed a nudge for a baby tree so did the back and forth thing with the hose. I didn't know about the round-about thingy. The desert willow has a gorgeous flower. I can imagine whoever is now in that house is enjoying what I left behind.

Wow! What gorgeous flowers, Kitty!

Old 04-01-2012, 12:16 PM

8,746 posts, read 8,999,488 times
Very nice tip Pam, thanks! I have three trees I've been trying to keep alive through the recent drought here in Texas. It hasn't been easy! I'll try some of these tips.

Old 04-01-2012, 05:40 PM

24,319 posts, read 25,828,457 times
Most of our water water issues are gone replaced with drought resisting landscaping. Much like a AZ yard in CA.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:09 PM

15,927 posts, read 8,117,544 times
Quote:
Hey, I almost got one of these at the Wild Seed Farm near Fredericksburg, Tx. this past Thursday. Now I wish I had.

Sorry you had to leave yours behind Kitty.

Thanks for the watering tips Pam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics