Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 06:32 PM

1,738 posts, read 766,200 times

Advertisements

no
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 05:59 AM

13,539 posts, read 9,967,984 times
Since it was me that started this thread, I suppose I really should give an answer of my own.

Yes, in myself, I am, (at the moment), I can’t say content though, I’ve still got many things about my life that need to be settled, (as have many of us do).

Last edited by BECLAZONE; 04-05-2012 at 07:08 AM..

Old 04-05-2012, 07:52 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,169,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I take every precaution not to be happy with life, as every time I become happy with life, I pee my pants!

Answer: No!

I can relate to this. Every time I have become ecstatically euphoric about something, there is ALWAYS the big freefall that follows.

"The higher you fly, the further you fall."

That's why I don't let myself reach those heights of ecstasy anymore. Keep cool and roll with the punches.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:16 AM

54,482 posts, read 33,796,391 times
I'm happy with my life, even though I've been single all my life.. I'm content with everything else. I also know that if it's meant to be, some day Mrs. Magnum will show up.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:11 AM

2,755 posts, read 4,392,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post
I'd venture to guess that many, if not most, happy people are not as "fortunate" as you think. They have suffered tragedies in their lives but have overcome adversity and appreciate the positive things, however small those things may be.

That is not to downplay whatever misfortunes you have encountered along the way, sfcambridge. Just understand that many people can empathize with you. Happy people aren't necessarily "lucky," but manage to be happy despite facing awful tragedies in their lives. I think some folks are just wired that way. Perhaps therein lies the good fortune.

Ok.

But I think you didn't read my post correctly. I never said that people who have been through hardship can't be happy. They can be happy, or not. Actually, I didn't even say if I was happy.

Honestly, I feel like that is a silly question about something as complex as life.

I only said that I can't relate to people who haven't been through some real hardship in their lives.

I find that most people who have not been through hardship tend to have difficulty understanding/supporting people who have. But I also realize that perhaps it is because you cannot truly relate to some things until they happen to you. I guess it has been a surprise to me that empathy isn't quite what I thought it was. I also find that people who haven't been through any true hardship or tragedy tend to feel that most people "get what they deserve", and that they have earned their good fortune.... in every sense of the word.

Last edited by sfcambridge; 04-05-2012 at 10:23 AM..

Old 04-05-2012, 11:52 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,256,180 times
Not nearly as much as I would be if I could retire.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:07 PM

4,704 posts, read 3,268,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
Ok.

But I think you didn't read my post correctly. I never said that people who have been through hardship can't be happy. They can be happy, or not. Actually, I didn't even say if I was happy.

Honestly, I feel like that is a silly question about something as complex as life.

I only said that I can't relate to people who haven't been through some real hardship in their lives.

I find that most people who have not been through hardship tend to have difficulty understanding/supporting people who have. But I also realize that perhaps it is because you cannot truly relate to some things until they happen to you. I guess it has been a surprise to me that empathy isn't quite what I thought it was. I also find that people who haven't been through any true hardship or tragedy tend to feel that most people "get what they deserve", and that they have earned their good fortune.... in every sense of the word.

I've had some pretty trying times in my life........things I would never wish upon anyone. But I do have to say that it has made me a better person and has taught me to look on the bright side of things rather than to dwell on the unpleasant things.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:43 PM

20 posts, read 39,001 times
yeees Iam happy

If you want to be happy you must Be close to Allah

Old 04-05-2012, 06:56 PM

23,133 posts, read 28,869,286 times
If I had All, ah would be happy with life!

Old 04-23-2012, 01:14 AM

18,748 posts, read 11,737,193 times
I'll let you know after the love of my life retires next year and we see each other every day. You may be seeing me on the evening news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics