Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 01:14 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,909,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara0815 View Post
Whats a party line ????
Tara, dear, the best way I can explain it is imagine that every house on your "party line" had the extension of your phone. The people could pick up the phone while you were talking to your friend and they could listen to your conversation (if they wanted to). If you were talking for a really long time and they had to use their phone, they would sometime ask you to please relinquish the line so they could make their call. Each "party" had a distinctive ring. Our ring was one long. When the phone rang two short, that was for the other party.

Most folks tried to be considerate and not hang on the phone for hours on end. Made it tough on me when I was a teen-ager but I got over it. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 06:38 PM

8,804 posts, read 21,221,088 times
Originally Posted by Tara0815
Whats a party line ????

Ohhh, to be so young as to not know what a "party line" is .......

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 04-04-2012, 08:50 PM

Nomadicus reminded me of this one..... "don't know what a slide ruler's for...."

Sam Cooke - Wonderful World (lyrics) - YouTube

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 04-05-2012, 08:45 AM

15,972 posts, read 9,349,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post

Something I was just thinking of, do you all remember your old phone numbers, maybe from when you were a kid, or your friends or families numbers? I mean back when people just had landlines, in the dark ages. I remember some from way back when.
I remember every phone number I've had and a lot of friends' old numbers as well. That changed when I went to cell phones.. Put the number in the library so you don't have to dial it. Now I don't have anyone's number memorized... Last summer, my cell phone died and they weren't able to save my contacts. I was screwed!

I remember the summer before I started kindergarten. My mom wanted to make sure I knew how to use a telephone and remember our home phone number just in case. She gave me an unplugged rotary dial phone and made me practice dialing the number.

I don't have a landline anymore, but when I did I kept an older phone just because I prefered the actual bell ringer and I set it in the soft, low volume ring. I'm not that old, but I just prefer that sound over the digital warble ring.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:00 AM

428 posts, read 899,116 times
LOL Im 36..... Now that I know what it is.. I gotta ask didnt that mean ALOT of people could know your business if you had nosey neighbors?

Last edited by Tara0815; 04-05-2012 at 09:11 AM..

Old 04-05-2012, 09:05 AM

10,156 posts, read 11,124,514 times
I don't have a land-line anymore, but I can tell you - I Still get wrong numbers on my cell phones..

Old 04-05-2012, 09:12 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,793,625 times
Talking .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara0815 View Post
Whats a party line ????
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Originally Posted by Tara0815
Whats a party line ????

Ohhh, to be so young as to not know what a "party line" is .......
I always thought it was "hey good looking, lets leave this place and go have a real party at your place or mine?" "we can call a few friends over and have some real fun".

HELL NO!

Old 04-05-2012, 11:55 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,254,922 times
Oh, it happens here! And I think it's because we have to dial the damn area code for LOCAL calls. I know that I make a lot more dialing mistakes from having to include an extra 3 digits. I get a fair amount of wrong numbers in our lan-line's answering machine, and a lot of hang-ups.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:45 PM

23,130 posts, read 28,863,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisconsin woman View Post
This brings back a memory, someone calling relentlessly to my home phone, a long time ago, asking for 'Suzanne'. I finally called back the number they left on my machine, and they were asking for Suzanne K______. Almost the same last name! But this person was 6 months behind on a payment for their 'Vette. I told him Ive only had that number for a month, never had a 'Vette neither do I even like them, this number was new to me. Their last name was spelled one letter differently! Never heard from that collector again either.
Mischievious me, I would have had some fun with this one! 6 months late on payments for a Corvette?

"Yes, this is Suzanne! But my friends call me Suzanna! I just got back from a 6 month trip to Europe, and what would you expect!!! I was having so much fun, I forgot to make my car payments! But right now, my credit card is maxed out so please be patient! I'll get caught up eventually!! So don't call me again for another 6 months!"

Old 04-05-2012, 07:13 PM

Party lines....Now that I know what it is.. I gotta ask didnt that mean ALOT of people could know your business if you had nosey neighbors?

Absolutely. If you had someone as we did like Ruth Winterbottom, you would always know that she would be listening in. Sometimes we would make up things to say just so that she would be shocked & then tell everyone things that turned out to be false.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics