Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 10:00 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,796,183 times

Advertisements

The days of getting called and having people dial the wrong number seems limited anymore. I have the same telephone number for 30 years old and only a few wrong numbers years ago. I don’t get called with “sorry wrong number” nor do I seem to dial the wrong number when I’m calling. So what is it, am I the only one or are there others who seem to have fewer wrong number phone calls?

Years ago it was always happening when the phone would ring at home and callers simply dialed the wrong number.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 10:25 AM

4,704 posts, read 3,268,094 times
I think most of us have numbers programed into our phones......thus less chance of misdialing the number. I can't recall the last time I've gotten the wrong number when I've called out. My home phone number is similar to a couple of local businesses and I get wrong number calls quite often.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:35 AM

4,486 posts, read 5,210,528 times
Back before we eliminated our land line we got frequent wrong number calls.

One woman just couldn't quite understand that her boyfriend's number wasn't the one she kept dialing. After the 15th or so call I was getting really annoyed.

She called again so I told her that "Leroy" was on a date and not expected back until the next day but I would be happy to take a message.

She never called back after that.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:47 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,911,031 times
True story: Many years ago, when I lived in D.C., I was busy painting my apartment and with two little kids underfoot, it was quite a task. One afternoon, while I was up on the ladder, the phone rang and it was a wrong number. I told the woman on the other end and she said she was sorry. I climbed back up the ladder and the phone rang again. Same lady, same conversation. "Wrong number." "Sorry." Hang up and back up the ladder. When the phone rang for the third time I was more than a little annoyed. I answered the call with "You have the wrong number" and the coo-coo on the other end said to me, (I swear!) "Well, stop answering, I'm running out of dimes!"

Old 04-03-2012, 10:53 AM

16,579 posts, read 17,348,993 times
We used to live in a small town. It was so small our telephone number was 230.

However the local police station was 320 and the dairy was very similar.

So, despite having a simple number we used to get a few people ringing the wrong number.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:53 AM

11 posts, read 18,689 times
Most cases, it's a number that was written down, and sometimes that 7 looks more like a 1, vice versa, or the wrong area code. Wrong numbers happen alot less now with programmed numbers, business cards and older phone numbers. (It's much less likely your new phone number was somebody's old number.) Also take into account that social networking sites can take some of the guess work out of calling numbers these days.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:57 AM

61,386 posts, read 86,312,362 times
I have more "wrong number callers" to my land line home phone than to my cell phone. But those are much less frequent that years ago.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:37 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,796,183 times
I think phones with a visual display of what number you enter to calling helps as well the programmed list of name & numbers to reduce the errors in calling others.

And a big help is very very few rotary dial phones anymore. I think those added to a lot of miss-dialed numbers.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:24 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,793,663 times
We get wrong numbers all the time. Several years ago I found a whole series of messages on my cell phone from someone I didn't know. If I recall correctly, they were trying to contact someone from an airport. I felt bad, so I called the number back and left a message that they've been dialing the wrong number.

Old 04-03-2012, 04:04 PM

224 posts, read 544,768 times
When we used to have a party line ( showing my age, now ) we would constantly pick up on the wrong ring.
This is totally off topic, but one of the parties on our line was my Sunday School teacher. I used to take perverse glee in listening in on her gossip and conversations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics