Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 06:08 AM

6,441 posts, read 5,236,912 times

Advertisements

All good tips! The thing with someone wearing the long garments when not used to it as the norm is the likely possibilities of getting feet caught not to mention keeping it out of the car door. For a while I wore suits with long skirts and had to be very careful not to get it caught in my high heels shoes or high heel boots.

The tips on natural fabrics and linings are good for anyone who gets too hot and sweats. If all you can afford is cheap cotton then go for it and take the time to iron. It's a good plan to wear natural fabrics when on an airplane or anyplace where there may be a disaster with fire. The unnatural fabrics like polyester will quickly melt right into the skin with intensive heat even if you're not on fire yourself.

• Textured fabrics such as seersucker, madras, hopsack, oxford and linen all keep part of the fabric away from your skin. This allows more air flow, and more comfort.
  • If you must wear a blazer for work or whatever, wear one without a lining. Linings are usually silk, satin or polyester, none of which breathe well, and can be unbearable in hot weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 06:32 AM

11,874 posts, read 11,025,057 times
Great tips, Pam, and very timely. I think it's going to be scary hot this summer in many places around the world.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:03 AM

43,854 posts, read 50,976,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoy View Post
Great tips, Pam, and very timely. I think it's going to be scary hot this summer in many places around the world.
It's only April and it was 90 degrees in Orlando yesterday!!
We are even discussing not getting our annual theme park tickets until
AFTER the summer. It's just too hot to go.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:27 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,590,340 times
Great tips Pam!! But I think I'll just go nekked!

Old 04-04-2012, 08:01 AM

12,114 posts, read 14,930,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
I live in sweat central.....I used to love to rip my shirt off after work and drive home with the windows down. Pulling off your cap or hat and running a water hose over your head is common. Nice tips Pam..every trick is used here in the Texas heat.
Me too, but that was in the 70's.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:32 AM

15,927 posts, read 8,121,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
I live in sweat central.....I used to love to rip my shirt off after work and drive home with the windows down. Pulling off your cap or hat and running a water hose over your head is common. Nice tips Pam..every trick is used here in the Texas heat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper1 View Post
Me too, but that was in the 70's.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:15 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,796,183 times
Hot summertime weather calls for cold beer or wine, forget the hats or umbrellas.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:46 AM

44,569 posts, read 61,347,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilene wright View Post
great tips pam!! But i think i'll just go nekked!
lol

Old 04-04-2012, 09:55 AM

44,292 posts, read 19,960,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageLife View Post
So far we here in California are having very cool temps,not sure what that means in the summer. Thanks pammy for the logical ideas,but I just don't know how those Saudis survive with so much on?
It's all about the air flow! Those linen robes are loose and the fabric breathes. It's a lot more comfortable than fabric which fully touches the skin, as we have in most of our outfits. Their robes are lightweight and keep them much cooler than traditional western clothing would.

Hey - they've had thousands of years to figure out how to beat the desert heat!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:00 AM

44,292 posts, read 19,960,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Beware, be very aware, it's going to be hot this summer. Especially in the desert areas. When wearing a hat wear a wide brim one to prevent skin cancer on your head and face, and a long sleeve shirt if possible to prevent skin cancer on your arms. I can attest to that, I'm paying the price now for not following those rules over the years.
Excellent tips Pamster.
Great advice, nitram. Don't mess around with those UV rays, folks. Use plenty of sunscreen and a big hat!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics