Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 04:16 AM

10,156 posts, read 11,124,514 times

Advertisements

Today's Question:
Are there any flowers blooming where you live?
If so, which ones?

I Have Tulips, that have Sprung almost 2 weeks ago

If not, what's green or growing?

Tons of weeds - dandelions!

Nostalgia Question:
Who was your favorite teacher and why?

Mr. B - He was cute and I got to clean his blackboards - for extra credit points toward my report card

What grade or subject did he or she teach?

8th Grade - Math

Inquiring Minds Question:
Are you or have you ever been a smoker? If so, of what?

Cough, Cough, NO

If you're not a smoker, who do you know that is?

I know many who smoke, but it's their life. I'm not one to judge..

Just for fun:
Can you drive a standard or stick shift?

Sure Can!

Or do you wish you did?

its really not that hard, really it's not
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 04:17 AM

4,045 posts, read 1,866,657 times
Today's Question:
If so, which ones?
crocuses and daffodils
Nostalgia Question:
Who was your favorite teacher and why? Mrs. Kearns is always the first person who comes to mind, though I had many good teachers. She was an older lady teaching first grade. Never having been to school before & being quiet and shy, I needed some TLC the first few days. She was patient and kind and I loved her. My second grade teacher was a man who taught us "tricks" to help in remembering things like how to spell arithmetic and how to multiply by 9. I teach my kiddos some of these tricks today, though now we teach "math" and kids don't know what arithmetic is! Oh, and the man who was my second grade teacher was also the man who hired me as a specialized reading teacher when I graduated from college. That was 39 years ago this next summer.
Are you or have you ever been a smoker? If so, of what? Tried it in college..... cough, cough.......
If you're not a smoker, who do you know that is? I was married to a smoker. I know, watching him, how hard it is to quit.
My mother was a smoker. After visiting her I'd come out of the house tasting the smoke. We have spent hours and hours washing the walls in her house, trying to get rid of the smell.
Just for fun:
Can you drive a standard or stick shift? I can. After I got my license at sixteen I wanted to drive a jeep we had. A friend offered to teach me. We ended up on a dirt road, headed up a fairly steep hill when I stalled it. I asked her to drive and get us up the hill and she informed me she knew "how" to drive stick but had never actually done it... so I ended up backing down the hill. I did learn, destroying a few clutches. There was a time I preferred driving stick, though not so much anymore.

Beautiful place! Thanks for the questions today, bjh! Have a good day, all!

Last edited by kpinvt; 04-05-2012 at 04:49 AM..

Old 04-05-2012, 04:24 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,079,404 times
Thought I ought to post now. Might not get to it later in the morning. Happy Thursday, all!

Today's Question:
If so, which ones?
There are alot of trees flowering..
Not sure what flowers on the ground are flowering , but i have noticed
Seems awfully early this year.

Nostalgia Question:
Oh that is easy my third grade teacher.
Why.... She used to let me come and visit with her and would tell me stories from around the world..

she left a lasting impression.

Third grade..
She taught all subjects

Are you or have you ever been a smoker? If so, of what?
If you quit, how did you do it?

Smoked years ago
Just stopped

Pretty much no one.

Just for fun:
Yes

Or do you wish you did?

BTW
Love the picture from England that is inspiring.

Old 04-05-2012, 04:31 AM

51,696 posts, read 15,651,500 times
[quote=bjh;23721308]Thought I ought to post now. Might not get to it later in the morning. Happy Thursday, all!

Today's Question:
Are there any flowers blooming where you live? Yes
If so, which ones? tulips and daffodils in front of our house.

If not, what's green or growing? grass is growing... the dogwood trees look pretty along with the other trees in the area.

Nostalgia Question:
Who was your favorite teacher and why?My 4th grade teacher,Mrs.McGowan. She always took the extra time with me when I needed help with math,especially fractions and multiplication. Although she's passed on, I think of her from time to time.

What grade or subject did he or she teach? See answer above

Are you or have you ever been a smoker? Use to smoke 30 plus years ago. If so, of what? Cigars,cigarettes tiparillos........LOL!!! For some reason that jingle just popped in my head. Some of you may remember the commercial with the beautiful girl saying those words. To answer the question though,I smoked cigarettes.
If you quit, how did you do it? I did it cold turkey.

If you're not a smoker, who do you know that is? A few of my son's friends.

Just for fun:
Can you drive a standard or stick shift? Not really

Or do you wish you did? Not really..especially with my coordination.

Today in History:
1614 Indian princess Pocahontas married English colonist John Rolfe
1722 Dutch explorer Jacob Roggeveen arrived at Easter Island in the southeast Pacific Ocean
1753 British Museum formed in London, later opened to the public in 1759
1896 1st modern Olympic Games officially opened in Athens, Greece
1923 Firestone began production of inflatable tires in Akron, Ohio
1943 Chinese sailor P-oon Lim who had been working on a British ship that was torpedoed in the Atlantic Ocean was rescued by fisherman off the coast of Brazil after being adrift in the open sea for 133 days, the longest time anyone has been known to survive on a raft in the ocean.
1962 St. Bernard Tunnel finished linking Martigny, Switzerland and Saint-Rhemy, Italy. The tunnell is 5798m or 3.6 miles long.
1964 First driverless trains ran on the London Underground
1974 Then tallest building, World Trade Center opened in New York City (110 stories)
1998 In Japan, the Akashi-Kaikyo Bridge linking Shikoku with Honshu and costing about $3.8 billion USD, opened to traffic, becoming the largest suspension bridge in the world.

Today’s Word:
con·trap·tion [kuhn-trap-shuhn] noun
Informal: a mechanical contrivance; gadget; device.

Today Is:
Caramel Day
D.A.R.E. Day (Drug Abuse Resistance Education)
Deep Dish Pizza Day
Fun at Work Day
Raisin and Spice Bar Day

A Picture for Today:
Today's picture is courtesy of CDer elgin loon. This is a view of the Cheshire plain in England. Great picture, elgin loon. Thanks for sharing.

Have a nice day everyone.

Old 04-05-2012, 04:40 AM

27,264 posts, read 27,326,525 times
Right now tulips are blooming around the front and back porch but soon there will be more. Grass is growing like crazy now.

I know of a few people that smoke. But Im a non-smoker.
Yes I can drive any stick shift and own one now. In trucking you do 12, 13 or even 15 speed Eaton-Fullers.

Bring on the deep dish pizza, with everything!
Happy Thursday.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:10 AM

11,045 posts, read 17,432,078 times
Today's Question:
Are there any flowers blooming where you live? Yup
If so, which ones? Our tulips and hyacinths have already bloomed, dogwood and redbud have also bloomed already here. Even our rose bush has buds about ready to pop open!

If not, what's green or growing? Mowed my yard for hte third time in 2 weeks yesterday.

Nostalgia Question:
Who was your favorite teacher and why? I had several because they acted like they cared

What grade or subject did he or she teach? In high school

Are you or have you ever been a smoker? If so, of what? Have been and still do occasionally. Like to light up a King Edwards cigar once in a very great while when I'm out by myself

Just for fun:
Can you drive a standard or stick shift? Yup

Or do you wish you did? When I got my license my dad said I would learn to drive a straight shift. That way, if you needed to drive one somewhere in an emergency you wouldn't have any trouble.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:31 AM

1,906 posts, read 1,611,675 times
Mornin' all!

Today's Question:
Yes
If so, which ones?
Dogwoods, Tulip Trees, Lilacs, Daffodils, Tulips, Dandelions, and a bunch of other things I don't know the name of.

Nostalgia Question:
I liked several of my teachers, but I'll pick Mrs. Fleming. She was very nice.

She was my 5th grade teacher.

Are you or have you ever been a smoker?
Yes
If so, of what?
Cigarettes
Cold turkey. It wasn't that hard, but only because I was never a heavy smoker, about half a pack a day.

Many people I know who used to have quit. I think that's good, but I'm not militant about it.

Just for fun:
I learned in 1998, but haven't driven a stick since then. The friend who taught me was good. He took me to a small county park with a hill and made me start from a complete stop on the hill.

Or do you wish you did?

Today in History:
1722 Dutch explorer Jacob Roggeveen arrived at Easter Island in the southeast Pacific Ocean
1943 Chinese sailor P-oon Lim who had been working on a British ship that was torpedoed in the Atlantic Ocean was rescued by fisherman off the coast of Brazil after being adrift in the open sea for 133 days, the longest time anyone has been known to survive on a raft in the ocean.
1962 St. Bernard Tunnel finished linking Martigny, Switzerland and Saint-Rhemy, Italy. The tunnell is 5798m or 3.6 miles long.
1974 Then tallest building, World Trade Center opened in New York City (110 stories)
1998 In Japan, the Akashi-Kaikyo Bridge linking Shikoku with Honshu and costing about $3.8 billion USD, opened to traffic, becoming the largest suspension bridge in the world.

Today’s Word:

Today Is:
Caramel Day
Deep Dish Pizza Day Awesome!!!
Fun at Work Day
Raisin and Spice Bar Day

A Picture for Today:
Today's picture is courtesy of CDer elgin loon. This is a view of the Cheshire plain in England. Great picture, elgin loon. Thanks for sharing.

Have a good one everyone!
Thanx elgin loon, and bjh!

Old 04-05-2012, 05:51 AM

4,704 posts, read 3,268,094 times
Today's Question:
Are there any flowers blooming where you live? Yes, a few.
If so, which ones? Lillies and flowering bushes.......I don't know what they are called.

Nostalgia Question:
Who was your favorite teacher and why? Mrs. V......a very tiny lady. She was tough as nails and well respected by everyone and a very good teacher.

What grade or subject did he or she teach? High school English Lit.

Are you or have you ever been a smoker? If so, of what? No

If you're not a smoker, who do you know that is? I know several people who smoke and several of them have quit over the years.

Just for fun:
Can you drive a standard or stick shift? Both

Or do you wish you did?

Today in History:

Today’s Word:

Today Is:
Caramel Day Love these!!!
Deep Dish Pizza Day YUM
Fun at Work Day
Raisin and Spice Bar Day

A Picture for Today:

Great pic!!!!

Old 04-05-2012, 05:52 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,493,796 times
Good morning all! What a wonderful picture!

Today's Question:
Are there any flowers blooming where you live? Yup...but it's year round here.
If so, which ones? The orange blossoms are about done...bummer, I love the smell!

If not, what's green or growing? I'm in Florida, it all grows year round...allergists make bookoo bucks down here!

Nostalgia Question:
Who was your favorite teacher and why? Mrs Stewart...she was very strict but I thrived in that environment.

What grade or subject did he or she teach? 6th grade...I wish I could have had her throughout 12th grade.

Are you or have you ever been a smoker? I was a smoker
If so, of what? Cigs
If you quit, how did you do it? I was ready....very very important for YOU to be ready...and I used the store brand patches...don't know how much that played a part but for ME because I was ready, it wasn't that bad.

If you're not a smoker, who do you know that is? I know many.

Just for fun:
Can you drive a standard or stick shift? Both

Or do you wish you did? I'll tell this story on myself so you'll understand I'm been a smart aleck for a longggggggggggggg time.

I was learning to drive and of course knew it all. Then my mother buys a stick-shift and decides I need to learn how to drive it. So after many grinded gears, many frustrated sighs from my mother (bless her heart) she threw up her hands and stated..."I can't believe you can't do this!"..My response..."Why in the heck did you have to buy a stick-shift?" Mom...."In my day that's all we had!!!"
Stupid me replies...."I didn't know that horse and buggies had stick shifts!!!!"

End of lesson.

Have a great day everyone!!

Old 04-05-2012, 06:21 AM

18,936 posts, read 11,543,792 times
Are there any flowers blooming where you live? yes
If so, which ones? lots - I notice the tulips a lot

Who was your favorite teacher and why? I had several favorites - all of them challenged me and appreciated me as I was.

What grade or subject did he or she teach? The two that always come to mind first were English teachers - one in middle school and one senior school.

Are you or have you ever been a smoker? never

If you're not a smoker, who do you know that is? I've known plenty - hard not to here in Pittsburgh - but I'm pretty sure that I don't currently love anyone who is a smoker.

Can you drive a standard or stick shift? yes, learned on one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics