Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 01:29 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,004,153 times

Advertisements

Today's Question:
Are there any flowers blooming where you live?
Not in my yard....lol. My next door neighbor has some nice flowers growing in his flower bed.

If so, which ones?

If not, what's green or growing? Grass and weeds.

Nostalgia Question:
Who was your favorite teacher and why? My high school band director. He taught us not only about music and precision marching but also about the importance of team work and striving to be the best that you can be. He was tough but he was fair and was very good at what he did. We won regional competitions every year I was there and did very well in state competitions (usually in the top 10). We often marched in parades and even an NFL halftime show. Right after I graduated they won 4th place at the Texas state marching band competition. We worked very hard but we had a lot of fun too!

What grade or subject did he or she teach? Band.

Inquiring Minds Question:
Are you or have you ever been a smoker? If so, of what? No.
If you quit, how did you do it?

If you're not a smoker, who do you know that is?

My dad smoked for years but quit about 15 years ago. My brother smokes, mostly cigarettes.

Just for fun:
Can you drive a standard or stick shift? Yes

Or do you wish you did?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 01:41 PM

61,375 posts, read 86,287,266 times
Happy Thursday Everyone!!

Today's Question:
If so, which ones? Bluebonnets

If not, what's green or growing?

Nostalgia Question:
Who was your favorite teacher and why? Biology teacher

What grade or subject did he or she teach? She made me love biology

Are you or have you ever been a smoker? If so, of what? Yes, Camels
If you quit, how did you do it? Cold turkey

Just for fun:
Can you drive a standard or stick shift? yes

Or do you wish you did?

Old 04-05-2012, 03:36 PM

581 posts, read 1,184,407 times
Today's Question:
Are there any flowers blooming where you live?Yeppers
If so, which ones? Beautiful bluebonnets in abundance in the great state of Texas. Plus some other ones but I'm not sure on what they are. Gotta ask my resident botonist, my 9yr old niece.

Nostalgia Question:
Who was your favorite teacher and why?Mrs. Williams because she took the time to figure out that I wasn't a "diffcult student," as some adminstrators put it. I was actually very smart and I was bored with the work because I would finish well ahead of most others. Once I was put in a faster class, my behavior got much better and I enjoyed school more.

What grade or subject did he or she teach? 2nd grade

Are you or have you ever been a smoker? If so, of what? Yes, cigarettes and an occasional cigar
If you quit, how did you do it? It comes and goes. I smoked some in the military and now I do it as a stress reaction but it's usually once or twice every 3 months or so.

If you're not a smoker, who do you know that is? Most of my gf's family and some of my friends.

Just for fun:
Can you drive a standard or stick shift? Yup.

Or do you wish you did?

Today’s Word:
con·trap·tion [kuhn-trap-shuhn] noun
Informal: a mechanical contrivance; gadget; device.

Today Is:
Caramel Day
D.A.R.E. Day (Drug Abuse Resistance Education)
Deep Dish Pizza Day
Fun at Work Day
Raisin and Spice Bar Day

A Picture for Today: cool pic. love the view

Old 04-05-2012, 07:36 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,552,525 times
Today's Question:
If so, which ones?

Lilacs, ajuga, crab apples, redbud, tulips, crocus, daffodils, and I'm sure I'm missing lot of others.

Nostalgia Question:
Who was your favorite teacher and why? Mr. Roberts

What grade or subject did he or she teach? Trigonometry

Are you or have you ever been a smoker? If so, of what?
If you quit, how did you do it?

Yes. cigarettes, cigars, and marijuana.

Cold turkey, all of it, 30 years ago.
I used to wake up in the morning and cough non-stop for 15 minutes. There were times I swore my lungs were going to come up. I came close to passing out because I couldn't breath in without coughing. I finally had enough.

Just for fun:
Can you drive a standard or stick shift? Yes

Or do you wish you did?

Today in History:
1614 Indian princess Pocahontas married English colonist John Rolfe
1722 Dutch explorer Jacob Roggeveen arrived at Easter Island in the southeast Pacific Ocean
1753 British Museum formed in London, later opened to the public in 1759
1896 1st modern Olympic Games officially opened in Athens, Greece
1923 Firestone began production of inflatable tires in Akron, Ohio
1943 Chinese sailor P-oon Lim who had been working on a British ship that was torpedoed in the Atlantic Ocean was rescued by fisherman off the coast of Brazil after being adrift in the open sea for 133 days, the longest time anyone has been known to survive on a raft in the ocean.
1962 St. Bernard Tunnel finished linking Martigny, Switzerland and Saint-Rhemy, Italy. The tunnell is 5798m or 3.6 miles long.
1964 First driverless trains ran on the London Underground
1974 Then tallest building, World Trade Center opened in New York City (110 stories)
1998 In Japan, the Akashi-Kaikyo Bridge linking Shikoku with Honshu and costing about $3.8 billion USD, opened to traffic, becoming the largest suspension bridge in the world.

Today’s Word:
con·trap·tion [kuhn-trap-shuhn] noun
Informal: a mechanical contrivance; gadget; device.

Today Is:
Caramel Day
D.A.R.E. Day (Drug Abuse Resistance Education)
Deep Dish Pizza Day
Fun at Work Day
Raisin and Spice Bar Day

Old 04-08-2012, 01:39 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,422,932 times
Today's Question:
Are there any flowers blooming where you live? Just a little too early here, but the bulbs are peeking above the ground.
If so, which ones? spring bulbs that are popping up would be crocus, daffodils, tulips, and hyacinth.

If not, what's green or growing? Really right now nothing is green yet, our snow recently melted.

Nostalgia Question:
Who was your favorite teacher and why? Her name was Mrs. Evans. I liked her because I was really into animals and she had a giant clam shell in the classroom, a stuffed eagle and let us bring cocoons into the classroom and watch them open up and set the butterflies free.

What grade or subject did he or she teach? Grade 6

Are you or have you ever been a smoker? If so, of what? Yes, I smoked heavy for 5 years, 5 packs a day, ugh.
If you quit, how did you do it? I quit cold turkey. It was very hard but I have been smoke-free for 26 years.

If you're not a smoker, who do you know that is? I don't know of anyone now that smokes.

Just for fun:
Can you drive a standard or stick shift? Yes.

Or do you wish you did?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics