Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 05:26 AM

26,273 posts, read 8,393,082 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone from a cloudy England. I am doing this in my local library, without glasses, hope it makes sense!! The strangest incident I was involved in a restaurant was about 30 years ago. I was out in my home town Oldham drinking in a few pubs. I met a guy who had been in the army like me. We got chatting, and agreed to go to a nightclub. I got talking to a barmaid in there. We had no real luck with the girls, so left to go for a late night meal. We'd had a few drinks of course. All of a sudden. the barmaid I had met in the club came in alone, I asked her to join us. All of a sudden, the guy fell forward, his face fell in the food, and he ended up on the floor. I rang a taxi for him to take him home, but when it arrived, he was too drunk to say where he lived, and I did'nt know!! So, we finished our meal, and I said I'd walk the girl, who was a nurse back to the hospital where she lived in the nurses hall of residence. I put the guy under a shelter as it was raining. The hospital was nearby, so I thouight I'd collect him later, and take him back to my house where he could sober up. Trouble was, the nurse invited me in to her room. I felt guilty, but, what are you to do?!! I did go look for him the morning after, but of course, he was gone. Happy Easter everyone.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 06:27 AM

4,704 posts, read 3,268,094 times
Today's Questions:

What was the funniest cooking experience you ever had? My nephew and I were making carmel corn when we were popping the popcorn in the air popper I forgot to put the lid on and popcorn was popping out and going all the way to the ceiling.

What’s the funniest, strangest or just plain thing that’s ever happened
when you’ve been out at a restaurant? I was at a mexican restaurant during my lunch hour and I got a pitcher of coke spilled on me and the kid that did it ran to the back and never came to clean it up or even get me a towel to dry off with. And they charged me for my meal.........

Bonus Questions:
In honor of the US finding their lost H-bomb back in '66

What is the most important thing you’ve ever lost? A gold bangle bracelet.

Did you find it? After I had replaced it I found the original one in my jar of jewerly cleaner.

Just for Fun

What age did you enjoy the most? Probably 31ish
What made it so enjoyable? I had a career that I loved and I hadn't lost any of my family members.

What age did you not like so much? 32 to about 40.
Why? I lost my sister and Mom to cancer, my brother was murdered six months afer my Mom passed away. My Dad was older and not able to handle all of this. He passed away about 18 months after my brother was killed.

Today in History:

1827 - English chemist John Walker invents wooden matches
1959 - Oklahoma ends prohibition, after 51 years
1966 - U.S. recovers lost H-bomb from Mediterranean floor
1983 - Oldest human skeleton, aged 80,000 years, discovered in Egypt
1985 - 1st live telecast of Easter Parade
2011 - Bolstered by strong employment figures for March, the Australian dollar
reaches a 28-year high against the U.S. dollar

Quote of the Day:

“As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell
the roses, for you only get to play one round.”

~~ Ben Hogan

Today is:

World Health Day
Public Television Day (1927)
No House Work Day I'll be breaking this rule today.......
International Day of Gratitude

Happy Easter everyone!!!!!

Old 04-07-2012, 07:49 AM

259,023 posts, read 90,331,271 times

Today's Questions:

What was the funniest cooking experience you ever had? Doctoring up my mom's pot of chili with salt and sugar.

when you’ve been out at a restaurant? I got served mullet for red snapper.

Bonus Questions:

What is the most important thing you’ve ever lost?
Did you find it? I've lost track of the things I've lost but I still miss my old brown hat.

Just for Fun

What age did you enjoy the most? Maybe the 20's.
What made it so enjoyable? Raising you kids.

What age did you not like so much? 60's.
Why? Pain.

Today in History:

Quote of the Day:

~~ Ben Hogan

Today is:

World Health Day
No House Work Day

Old 04-07-2012, 08:51 AM

44,291 posts, read 19,957,759 times
Today's Questions:
What was the funniest cooking experience you ever had? When we were about to have Thanksgiving dinner at my aunt's home once, about 15 years ago. She had never used her oven before, and when she turned the knob to ON in order to bake the turkey, she didn't understand that she needed to line up the number (temperature) that she wanted with the little mark above the knob. She turned it just a tiny bit, and the oven hardly heated up at all. The turkey was still raw when we arrived for dinner. No turkey that Thanksgiving!

I ended up showing my aunt how to properly set the oven, and so the turkey cooked while we ate the other fixin's and visited afterward. We had carry-out turkey to take home that night.

What’s the funniest, strangest or just plain thing that’s ever happened when you’ve been out at a restaurant? The day I got near the bottom of my salad bowl and found a large, live, green caterpillar in it who apparently was enjoying the lettuce as much as I. Eeew! At least I didn't stick it with my fork. That would've put me over the edge.

Bonus Questions:
What is the most important thing you’ve ever lost? My mother's HS class ring, when I was about 19. It was very important to me because my mom died when I was a junior in HS and I wore it to remember her. I was outdoors with friends, playing volleyball, and the ring flew off my finger during the game. Everyone looked for it for hours. We even went back with a metal detector, but never found it.
Did you find it?

Just for Fun
What age did you enjoy the most? I've always been a fairly happy camper, but I've got to say I had an absolute blast when I was a kid growing up in a great neighborhood with a bazillion other kids, from the mid-50s to the mid-60s.
What made it so enjoyable? Naivete.
What age did you not like so much? I've liked all of my decades so far.
Why? I'm very blessed with good health and people in my life who love me, so I can't think of a reason not to like any age in my life. I've had some crosses to bear along the way, just as everyone has, but I haven't let that turn me sour on living. I try to never take life for granted.

Quote of the Day:
~~ Ben Hogan
Good one, Ben!

Today is:
World Health Day
Public Television Day (1927) I love public TV and watch it a lot. Love the nature and science shows, as well as history, travel and cooking shows.
No House Work Day I'll only do a little. Having Easter dinner here tomorrow, so need to dust and do a little touch-up. The house is in relatively good shape, so I've nothing to stress about this time.
International Day of Gratitude Every day.

Hope everyone has a great weekend, and

Great job on the QOTD, Joy! Have a super Saturday, everyone!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 04-07-2012, 09:18 AM

4,037 posts, read 2,897,002 times
Low 80s and sunny in the NV desert today.

Today's Questions:

What was the funniest cooking experience you ever had? I made a pavlova (meringue dessert) and put a cloth over it as it cooled. My son was searching for a saucepan and put one on the top of the pavlova and flattened it! It's amazing what a topping of whipped cream and kiwi fruit will do to disguise a flattened pavlova. Still tasted great!

when you’ve been out at a restaurant? I wasn't there, but my daughter was a waitress at a local restaurant. She served a really horrible table who complained loudly about everything, and then left a one cent tip. She returned the tip and gave them a piece of her mind. The manager backed her up and told the customers they would not be welcome back.

What age did you enjoy the most? Teen years.
What made it so enjoyable? School, friends, sports.

What age did you not like so much? My 30s -- bad marriage.

Quote of the Day:

~~ Ben Hogan Great quote!

Happy Saturday everyone.

Old 04-07-2012, 09:45 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,167,901 times

Today's Questions:

What was the funniest cooking experience you ever had? The first cake I ever baked tasted really odd. It had buttermilk in it and I forgot to put the baking soda in it. Bleeeech!!!

when you’ve been out at a restaurant? A woman seated a few tables away from me was there having lunch with her mother and she had her (about) 18 month old in a high chair. Baby mum and her mother were taking their time, chatting, eating, chatting, eating. To keep baby occupied and quiet Mum kept handing him the crackers in the little cellophane packages which he would open and then crumble up and drop onto the floor. After awhile the floor around baby looked like it had snowed indoors, it was so thick with cracker crumbs and the cellophane wrappings. Everyone in the restaurant was staring at them and the servers were giving her the evil eye as they walked past. Eventually, the two finished their meal and Mum got down and brushed up as much of the mess as she could into a plate. A waiter walked by and must have said something because I heard Mum say, "Well, I picked up MOST of it." The staff had to get out the vacuum cleaner to clean up the mess after they left.

Bonus Questions:

Did you find it? The acute eyesight I had up until about the age of 40. No, corrective lenses don't do the job but I can still see fairly well.

Just for Fun

What age did you enjoy the most? Teen years and middle years.
What made it so enjoyable? I was involved in every activity possible in school and had a lot of fun during those years. Middle years were just a lot more enjoyable than I ever expected them to be.

What age did you not like so much? First 10 years.
Why?

Today in History:

1966 - U.S. recovers lost H-bomb from Mediterranean floor I don't even remember this.
reaches a 28-year high against the U.S. dollar And also bolstered by the FALLING USD$. Even the Canadian $$ is worth more than the USD$

Quote of the Day:

~~ Ben Hogan

Old 04-07-2012, 10:37 AM

27,264 posts, read 27,326,525 times
My funniest cooking experience was when I tried to make home made gravy for the first time, was probably 11 or so. It came out thicker than peanut butter and tasted like flour...but my dad, poor daddy, he ate it anyway!

The funniest thing is a restaurant that I can recall was when my kids were little, we went to some buffet place and one guy who was sadly, severely obese, was pretty much piling a ton of food on his plate. One of my younger kids (age 5 at the time) blurted out 'Mommy, dang, look at all that food on that fat mans plate!!!!' Needless to say, embarrassing!!

Old 04-07-2012, 10:52 AM

24,337 posts, read 25,848,470 times
Today's Questions:

What was the funniest cooking experience you ever had?
Absolutely none as I am not allowed or permitted to touch any pots or pans in the kitchen.

when you’ve been out at a restaurant?
It was probably when a unruly crowd was asked to leave because the were being somewhat destructive and obnoxious.

Bonus Questions:

My drivers license and SS card back in the late 50's.

Did you find it?
Nope, I think the fire pit at the beach consumed it along with my wallet.

Just for Fun

What age did you enjoy the most?
Mid teens to mid 20's.

What made it so enjoyable?
It was in the 50's and 60's.

What age did you not like so much?
Late 60's and early 70's.

Why?
Too many aches and pains.

Old 04-07-2012, 12:01 PM

15,893 posts, read 18,245,571 times
Today's Questions:

What was the funniest cooking experience you ever had?

That would be the time I forgot to take the plastic wrapped giblets out of the turkey before I cooked it. Let's talk explosion.

What’s the funniest, strangest or just plain thing that’s ever happened when you’ve been out at a restaurant?

When I was little we were at a restaurant for breakfast. I was so thirsty and there was a small glass of orange juice in front of me and I picked it up and drank it. Unfortunately it was melted butter for the pancakes.

Bonus Questions:

Did you find it?

Just for Fun

What age did you enjoy the most? Right now.

What made it so enjoyable? I'm retired and having the time of my life.

What age did you not like so much? Age 16.
Why?

We were transferred from Kansas to Texas and I was in love with a pig farmer in Kansas. I was heart-broken.

Today in History:

Quote of the Day:

~~ Ben Hogan

Today is:

World Health Day
No House Work Day Yippee!

Old 04-08-2012, 01:26 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,422,932 times
Today’s Question: Saturday, 7 April 2012

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guess it’s a tad early to say ‘Happy Saturday’

Been a reaal long week and since I’m doing this about now

Thought we should get to . . .

Today's Questions:

What was the funniest cooking experience you ever had? Probably accidently chopping off my fingernail while making lasagna for guests. I didn't know until it was done and in the lasagna somewhere. I wasn't going to toss the whole lasagna. The whole meal I kept waiting to see if someone came up with something strange in their bite of lasagna, no one did, or at least they didn't say so.

when you’ve been out at a restaurant? While honeymooning in Hawaii we stopped at a Korean restaurant because there was nothing else around. What we ordered was horrible and as we were getting ready to leave I felt something on my hand and looked down to see thousands of ants all over the bench seat I was on.

Bonus Questions:

What is the most important thing you’ve ever lost? A ring that belonged to my deceased aunt.
Did you find it? No

Just for Fun

What age did you enjoy the most? My 30's when my children were being born and were little.
What made it so enjoyable? I enjoyed being pregnant and when my kids were little.

What age did you not like so much? My teens
Why? Things were not good at home and I was not a happy camper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics