Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 02:39 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,787,488 times

Advertisements

These three shorties come and spend the night, or weekend with us every other month. We have no children so this is really special for me. I had a really rough 6 day stretch at work and had to drive 45 min. to pick up the girls. I was exhausted after I took them home and had to stop at the store to pick up a few essentials. This kind man let me go ahead of him and after I got to the car another man took my cart after I put my things in the car. I was so grateful as I was exhausted. Then I realized that I was missing a bag and had to go back in the store. Damn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 04:57 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,983,041 times
I wrote Oprah in hopes of getting more media attention to help find missing person, Phoenix Coldon, from St. Louis, Missouri. I think a show about those missing that the media has largely ignored would be helpful. Imagine the anger and frustration, your child is missing and no one seems to care but you. How alone these poor people must feel. That has to be the ultimate nightmare. Some that go missing get a huge amount of attention, others hardly any at all. Some say race plays a factor in that, it may, but in any case it isn't right at all. So I hope somebody reads my letter and it will help bring attention to her case as well as to others.

Old 04-19-2012, 05:11 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,256,282 times
Todd, let the folks on The View know about this. They've been doing stories like that lately and it actually led to finding a young girl who was safe and sound.

Our community has an annual Candlelighters Day where we turn it over to kids w/cancer & their families. They get to golf, fish, play teenis, bocce, shuffleboard, etc. We also feed them, do crafts, arrange motorycycle rides and pony rides, we have a bounce house, etc. It's a day for them and their families to forget about being sick and to have some fun. DH and I are making cookies for them again this year. Last year, we did over 800 cookies.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:57 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,983,041 times
That's nice of you all to do, NMS. Thanks for the suggestion, I will contact The View. Some people have such a heavy load in this life. When things get better I hope to be able to do more.

I guess it was in 2010 I tried to help a kid that needed a double lung transplant. I called the La Petite Childcare centers corporate office as they had done some stuff with the Make a Wish Foundation. But man what a cold fish. She was not willing to help at all nor did she offer any suggestions. If it hits closer to home it becomes an entirely different story. She should have been a banker, the one that forecloses on little old ladies.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:52 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,814,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Human beings are 93 and a one half percent good...The rest are damaged children in adult bodies..You can be kind to them and they will never appreciate it..which is real kindness...something that is not done for emotional profit....

Was wondering about the old British noble title..."Your Grace"...............then I looked up the old meaning of the word..."The undeserved mercy of God."..............I guess real nobility and class is to show kindness not only to those that deserve it but to those that don't.
What I said in the above might be why I don't believe in capital punishment...it seems clear to me that those who scream and lust for the death penalty...are not the high class...but actually the lower class....Mercy...can some times be difficult to extend...but the more mercy and kindness that is given makes for a better world...even the greatest human monster will finally surrender to love and kindness..and those that don't...well - that is Gods business and he and time can deal with broken people.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:10 PM

3,947 posts, read 2,571,125 times
I'm trying to remember the kind things people have done for me, there has been many. (sure wish I had written them down!)

I live alone here in a medium/ smallish town. I know just a few people from when I went to Grad school here. I don't have close friends but the few I have have helped me when I've called. One friend gave me a ride to an interview, and to the bank to cash a check to have gas money. She also came and gave me a ride home last week when I missed the last bus home. Another friend has loaned me $5 twice! LoL I was sure glad I'd paid him back the first time. He was so kind and brought the $5 right to me the second time.

I am one that talks to strangers in the grocery store (ha) but really, I've had kind people listen to me when I was distraught and frustrated. Sometimes I initiated talking to them, other times people have asked if I was okay and listened to me.

I also remember a day I was walking to an appt. a good 15 blocks away. I was late and I was trying to walk fast when a lady stopped and asked if I wanted a ride. Very kind.

A long time ago when I was traveling, I saw a family stopped in Minneapolis, on a major bridge. I stopped and took the mom to get gas and returned to fill her tank. I remember that I asked if the mom would go with me instead of the father. There was nothing I thought wrong with him, I just felt more comfortable with her.

Then, recently, when I have been broke, needing money for the bus, some kind strangers offered me a couple of dollars.

One man gave it to me and said, oh no, I wasn't asking (I had been talking to a friend of mine)... but he said. It's okay, I have it and now you do.

There are very kind people out there. I appreciate every one of them and hope to be more like them.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:00 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,256,282 times
DH and I just finished the cookie frenzy about an hour ago - 1,037 cookies baked. We're both a bit tired. But happy we were able to do it.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:43 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,869,458 times
^^ All those cookies and I didn't get even ONE of them to eat!

Spoiler
Job well done NMS & DH

Old 04-20-2012, 10:14 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Have you ever had someone else make your day with an act of kindness? Or have you ever made someone else’s day by helping them in some way?

Seems the world is made up of so many wonderful people yet their lives are so busy that they take less time to deal with someone else who might be in need of just a simple “good morning”, a smile or someone to offer and buy a cup of coffee for a stranger. Yes,,, “stranger”. An act of kindness isn’t just helping someone we know and deal with each day.

What “act of kindness” have you seen (or did) recently?

Be the change that you wish to see in the world. ~ Gandhi

Early April 2 I had to call 911 because my husband was having internal bleeding. It was just a freak thing. He ended up in intensive care before the end of the day and had to have an operation to stop the bleeding. I was with him all day at the hospital but the rules would not let me spend the night in the hospital.

I went home exhausted and e-mailed everybody in my address book that we needed prayer. The next morning while I was getting ready to go back to the hospital I got a call from one of his relatives demanding to know why she had not been called. Not how are you, is there anything I can do to help, etc. she was just angry she had not been called. I thought my e-mail should have taken care of letting her know he was sick. And frankly the last time he was sick she had worn me out more than having to be at the hospital, so I am guilty, I hadn't called. And I won't the next time either. It is enough to have to deal with a sick husband without his critical relative at the same time.

So on Thursday after I had vacuumed and cleaned the entire house because I knew I would probably have company, I got the call that he would get to come home that day. The bleeding had stopped and was healed. But he would need to eat things like jello and applesauce, and other soft things so on the way to the hospital I stopped at Dollar General to quickly pick up a few things so I would not have to go back out and leave him alone when I got him home.

I almost ran through the store throwing things in the shopping cart and when I got to checkout my purchases looked a little strange, so I explained to the person behind the register that I was picking my husband up at the hospital and had just gotten things he would be able to eat.

Then the sweetest words came out of her mouth, "Isn't he lucky to have you to take care of him." I thought "well, yes he is!" She really made my day.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:48 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,120,376 times
Default Some misc thoughts & observations on "every-day-life" & how it effects "people"''

....I am aware of a man (who occassionally confides in me) who has had what I would call "an unusual life, 51 yrs of marriage, untold health problems involving All members of his immediate (small family)" and really doesn't know how to handle what he calls; "his exceptional Good luck",................
He is a considerate person, does good deeds when the occasion arises etc.
He is going on 81, lives alone, gets along well with being a cancer surgery survivor (10 yrs now). L
Lives with the long term aftermath of the effect of being the only survivor of an auto accident (many years ago) that left him with several broken vertebrea; a broken pelvis; several broken ribs, fractured sternum; broken knee; arm, wrist, shoulder & collar bone & a few fingers. After 5 months in the hospital he was able to continue physical therapy treatmnets for several months afterward that enabled him to go back to college (work his way through) and graduate w/ a degree in business.

His father was diagnosed with brain tumor when he was 13 & died 26 months later; his mother died from Alezheimers after 8 years of "living hell"; his only daughter was diagnosed with malignant melanoma in the lymph nodes & has had 15 surgically removed (10 yrs now)........
His wife of 51 years died from cancer (a few yrs ago) of the lungs, brain, liver and pancrease after over a year of chemo & radiation...... & in their early years of marriage she had (8) mis-carriages in the 12 years following the birth of their only child.

He is a church-going Christian and wonders why he has had the "good-luck" that anables him to lead the type of life that he is leading "today":..driving, no money worries, a decent number of friends etc.

I tell him,......it's just God's plan & to accept it as a "gift". I really don't know what else to tell him.

.....(It doesn't seem very appropriate to "lean over after a couple of beers" and say:>>"Hey,...Don't kick a winnin' horse!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics