Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 03:02 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,664,957 times

Advertisements

Kids were free to ride there bikes everywhere and roam around w/o worry

Dogs too there were no leash laws

Could buy a R&R records for around $3 -4 usually came with a poster and liner notes

Everyone talked about Rock & Roll. What concert you were going to, and what is the newest R & R band.

Sodas (coke, 7up, fanta etc.) were sold in glass bottles in machines

Everything was made well - cars, household appliances, etc. things were made with pride and would last.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 03:13 AM

Kids were free to ride there bikes everywhere and roam around w/o worry

Dogs too there were no leash laws

Could buy a R&R records for around $3 -4 usually came with a poster and liner notes

Everyone talked about Rock & Roll. What concert you were going to, and what is the newest R & R band. (There was so much interest and excitement about music, especially R&R)

Sodas (coke, 7up, fanta etc.) were sold in glass bottles in machines

Everything was made well - cars, household appliances, etc. things were made with pride and would last.

Kids didn't ask or expect anything.
Kids were happy and polite overall (not ill mannered and complaining like today)
Girls usually were babysitting and boys had paper routes or did yard work (usually for the neighbors) kids were paid very little for these jobs but were grateful and if you got an allowance believe me you earned it.

Old 06-26-2014, 09:36 PM

24,772 posts, read 28,419,342 times
Back in the day....

Harikrishna would be in the airports giving out flowers for pocket change as you rushed towards your plane. No TSA -- No Screening --- people smoked in the waiting area.. and waited for the smoking sign to go off after take off. Mixed drinks $1.00 a can of pop and a 2oz. bottle of booze.. In Military Uniform it was free.. by the time you got to your destination the cabin was full of smoke and every one was very very happy.. Cigars - Pipes - Cigarettes you had a hazy cloud just above the seat backs..

Old 06-27-2014, 03:33 AM

11,336 posts, read 9,226,797 times
Default Back in the day....

people were a whole lot nicer, especially when it comes to backstabbing, lack of manners and tact, and being rude to others like we have in today's times.

I often wish I could go back to the 1970s.
I only want the advancement in science.

Old 06-27-2014, 10:16 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,158,778 times
Back in the day:

You relied upon signs and fold-able maps to drive

There was no people finder online dating and match sites. You got out there and learned about people by meeting them face to face.

No Cellphones to cause distracted driving.

People actually spoke with you instead of being engrossed in their Smartphones. I am someone in my early 20's who still values face to face communication in physical presence, and its sad to see my current generation forgetting how to hold an effective conversation .

Really, on the whole its sad to see ourselves being controlled by 4"*2.5" rectangular touchscreen devices. Smartphones are an essential tool, no doubt. But one should never use it to control their daily lives and leave their brains to rust.

Last edited by Adi from the Brunswicks; 06-27-2014 at 10:29 AM..

Old 06-27-2014, 11:29 AM

11,336 posts, read 9,226,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Back in the day:

You relied upon signs and fold-able maps to drive

There was no people finder online dating and match sites. You got out there and learned about people by meeting them face to face.

No Cellphones to cause distracted driving.

People actually spoke with you instead of being engrossed in their Smartphones. I am someone in my early 20's who still values face to face communication in physical presence, and its sad to see my current generation forgetting how to hold an effective conversation .

Really, on the whole its sad to see ourselves being controlled by 4"*2.5" rectangular touchscreen devices. Smartphones are an essential tool, no doubt. But one should never use it to control their daily lives and leave their brains to rust.
Bolded: I disagree.

I have no desire to ever own one.

Good post. I agree with the rest of what you said.

Old 06-27-2014, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
people were a whole lot nicer, especially when it comes to backstabbing, lack of manners and tact, and being rude to others like we have in today's times.

I often wish I could go back to the 1970s.
I only want the advancement in science.
I feel the same way

Old 06-29-2014, 05:10 PM

8,578 posts, read 7,052,369 times
This thread is amazing! So many good memories!!!

About all I can add is

Back in the day...
If Mom didn't have enough money for all four of us kids to go to the 'big' pool with the high diving board, we'd stay home, set up the slip-n-slide, invite the neighbor kids and have a blast all afternoon until the other kids had to go home.

Slip 'n Slide - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia#

Old 06-29-2014, 08:54 PM

44,569 posts, read 61,347,806 times

Remember When - Back to the 50's & 60's - YouTube

Old 06-29-2014, 10:22 PM

24,772 posts, read 28,419,342 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiCnqSPFoRQ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics