Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 06:44 AM

4,704 posts, read 3,262,915 times

Advertisements

Today’s Question(s):

Income Tax Day is just one week away! Which of the following describes the stage you are at with your tax preparation efforts this year? Finished and filed.

Return long since filed, refund in the bank!
Return filed, awaiting refund. Filed, but who gets refunds?
Working on it, hope to get it finished and sent in this week.
I’ll be one of those people lining up at the Post Office to drop off my return a week from today.
I’ve given up on meeting the deadline; I’m filing for an extension and I’ll worry about it in August.

Extra Credit Question:

Do you do your own taxes, or do you hire someone to prepare them for you? We have a CPA who does our return.

If you file your own taxes, do you submit them electronically or on paper?

Bonus Question:

If you could choose your own name, would you keep the name you have, or would you pick a different first name? It would be different!!!!

Why? I have never liked my name...it's too old fashioned.

If you’d rather have a different name than the one you’ve got, what name would you prefer? It always changed over the years........since I've gotten older I no longer pick out different names. I just know I'm stuck with the one I have.

Just for Fun:

Are you older or younger than the Houston Astrodome? Older

Today In History:
1585 – An expedition organized by Sir Walter Raleigh departs England for Roanoke Island (now a part of North Carolina) to establish the Roanoke Colony
1682 – Robert de la Salle discovers the mouth of the Mississippi River, claims it for France, and names it Louisiana
1860 – On his phonautograph machine, Édouard-Léon Scott de Martinville makes the oldest known recording of an audible human voice
1865 – Robert E. Lee surrenders the Army of Northern Virginia (26,765 troops) to Ulysses S. Grant at Appomattox Courthouse, Virginia, effectively ending the American Civil War
1867 – Passing by a single vote, the United States Senate ratifies a treaty with Russia for the purchase of Alaska
1939 – Contralto Marian Anderson sings at the Lincoln Memorial, after having been denied the right to sing at the Daughters of the American Revolution’s Constitution Hall
1942 – The Battle of Bataan ends after three months of fighting, and approximately 76,000 American and Filipino prisoners of war begin the infamous Bataan Death March
1947 – The Journey of Reconciliation, the first interracial Freedom Ride, traverses the upper Southern region of the United States in protest against and in violation of the Jim Crow laws
1957 – The Suez Canal in Egypt reopens to shipping following the Suez Crisis of 1956
1965 – The Astrodome opens in Houston, Texas, and the first indoor baseball game in history is played
1967 – The first Boeing 737 aircraft makes its maiden flight

Today’s Word:
Lucullan \lōō kŭl ən\ adjective
1. Lavish; luxurious.
2. Of or relating to the Roman general and consul Lucullus or his luxurious banquets.

Today Is:
Name Yourself Day Don't I wish I could have.
Listening Day You learn a great deal when you listen.
National Former POW Recognition Day
Winston Churchill Day
Bataan Day
National Cherish an Antique Day I love antiques!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 06:55 AM

7,487 posts, read 7,965,385 times
Today’s Question(s):

Income Tax Day is just one week away! Which of the following describes the stage you are at with your tax preparation efforts this year?

Return filed, awaiting refund.
I’ll be one of those people lining up at the Post Office to drop off my return a week from today.
I’ve given up on meeting the deadline; I’m filing for an extension and I’ll worry about it in August.
I am sorta kinda almost ready to file my taxes. The computer program says I need one more tiny piece of useless information which I can get from box "8b" on one of my 1099's. Only problem is there is nothing in that box. I need to call and get the info so that I can file my taxes. Seeing how I am getting money back I guess I sould get going.

Extra Credit Question:

Do you do your own taxes, or do you hire someone to prepare them for you?
I do them myself.

Will be electronically this year.

Bonus Question:

If you could choose your own name, would you keep the name you have, or would you pick a different first name?
I would keep the name I have.

Why?
Most people that go by the name "Bill" are actually named "William" For me "Bill" really is my name. That makes a very common name very unique.

If you’d rather have a different name than the one you’ve got, what name would you prefer?

Just for Fun:

Are you older or younger than the Houston Astrodome?

I am older.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:00 AM

11,319 posts, read 9,201,867 times
Good morning, everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
Good Monday morning, all, and welcome to another week! I hope your weekend was a wonderful one, and that this week brings you no more challenges than you can easily handle. We had a weekend full of yard-work, and I’m honestly looking forward to the chance to work sitting down for a while.

But before we all dive into another busy week, let’s take a few moments together to consider:

Today’s Question(s):

Income Tax Day is just one week away! Which of the following describes the stage you are at with your tax preparation efforts this year?

Extra Credit Question:

I'll do it this week. No big deal as I should either break even or pay a little. I always do my own the old fashioned way - on paper. It's very easy for me to do.

Quote:
Bonus Question:

If you could choose your own name, would you keep the name you have, or would you pick a different first name?

Why?

If you’d rather have a different name than the one you’ve got, what name would you prefer?
Since I've had it for 57 years I'll keep it. I was named after my grandfather.

Quote:
Just for Fun:

Older. I remember when it first opened.

Today Is:
Name Yourself Day
Listening Day
Winston Churchill Day - An interesting coincidence - I just bought Peter Frampton's "Thank You Mr. Churchill" CD and I will be listening to it today.
Love this quote:
"You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
Bataan Day
National Cherish an Antique Day[/quote]

Old 04-09-2012, 07:04 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,472,831 times
Good Morning al! It's Countdown to Granny duties this weekend time! My sweet Bella turns 3 on Friday...so in the car we'll be!

Today’s Question(s):

Extra Credit Question:

I am very capable but....My SIL is a CPA and she does them for us as a B'day present to my DH

If you file your own taxes, do you submit them electronically or on paper? They are done electronically.

Bonus Question:

If you could choose your own name, would you keep the name you have, or would you pick a different first name? I remember when I was younger I wanted a more exciting name.

Why? Susan isn't very exciting.

If you’d rather have a different name than the one you’ve got, what name would you prefer? I'm fine with my name now..but I wanted something regal like Katherine Suzanne!!

Just for Fun:

Are you older or younger than the Houston Astrodome? Older...ya know you could have picked the Suez canal and I could have said younger for once! lol

I hope you all have a wonderful day!

Old 04-09-2012, 07:20 AM

20,549 posts, read 30,275,117 times
Happy Monday!!!!

Return filed, awaiting refund. Refund...ha....I haven't had a refund in decades

None of the above, lol. I have already finished and filed my taxes...and paid

Do you do your own taxes, or do you hire someone to prepare them for you? The same man has been doing them for years. Our taxes can get pretty complicated

If you file your own taxes, do you submit them electronically or on paper? electronically

If you could choose your own name, would you keep the name you have, or would you pick a different first name? My name is fine.

Why?

If you’d rather have a different name than the one you’ve got, what name would you prefer? Hmm!! I never thought about it.

Are you older or younger than the Houston Astrodome? Just younger....barely

Have a great week!!!

For anyone interested I posted a quickie story before posting the landscaping and shed stories

http://www.city-data.com/forum/23775911-post2544.html

Last edited by ylisa7; 04-09-2012 at 08:31 AM..

Old 04-09-2012, 07:31 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,412,629 times
Today’s Question(s):

Extra Credit Question:

Do you do your own taxes, or do you hire someone to prepare them for you? My uncle does all the taxes.

If you file your own taxes, do you submit them electronically or on paper? They have it in electronic format?? I wonder if it’s screen reader accessible…

Bonus Question:

If you could choose your own name, would you keep the name you have, or would you pick a different first name? Different name.

Why?

If you’d rather have a different name than the one you’ve got, what name would you prefer? I don’t know, lol. Just not the one I have. Something gender-neutral.

Just for Fun:

Are you older or younger than the Houston Astrodome? Much younger, like more than 20 years younger, lol.

Today In History:
1585 – An expedition organized by Sir Walter Raleigh departs England for Roanoke Island (now a part of North Carolina) to establish the Roanoke Colony
1682 – Robert de la Salle discovers the mouth of the Mississippi River, claims it for France, and names it Louisiana
1860 – On his phonautograph machine, Édouard-Léon Scott de Martinville makes the oldest known recording of an audible human voice
1865 – Robert E. Lee surrenders the Army of Northern Virginia (26,765 troops) to Ulysses S. Grant at Appomattox Courthouse, Virginia, effectively ending the American Civil War
1867 – Passing by a single vote, the United States Senate ratifies a treaty with Russia for the purchase of Alaska
1939 – Contralto Marian Anderson sings at the Lincoln Memorial, after having been denied the right to sing at the Daughters of the American Revolution’s Constitution Hall
1942 – The Battle of Bataan ends after three months of fighting, and approximately 76,000 American and Filipino prisoners of war begin the infamous Bataan Death March
1947 – The Journey of Reconciliation, the first interracial Freedom Ride, traverses the upper Southern region of the United States in protest against and in violation of the Jim Crow laws
1957 – The Suez Canal in Egypt reopens to shipping following the Suez Crisis of 1956
1965 – The Astrodome opens in Houston, Texas, and the first indoor baseball game in history is played
1967 – The first Boeing 737 aircraft makes its maiden flight

Today’s Word:
Lucullan \lōō kŭl ən\ adjective
1. Lavish; luxurious.
2. Of or relating to the Roman general and consul Lucullus or his luxurious banquets.

Today Is:
Name Yourself Day
Listening Day
Winston Churchill Day
Bataan Day
National Cherish an Antique Day

Enjoy your Monday, folks!

Old 04-09-2012, 07:36 AM

37,734 posts, read 40,776,995 times
Today’s Question(s):

Return filed, awaiting refund. I might actually already have it, I just haven't checked.

Extra Credit Question:

Do it myself.

Paper because it takes me only about 20 minutes and that includes making a photocopy. Although you didn't ask, I think that there are so many people filing electronically now, that paper return filers get their refunds faster than ever because there are less of us.

Bonus Question:

I would definitely stick with the one I had.

Why?

Can you imagine all of the red tape paperwork you would have to plow through with companies where they have your name "on record" as well as federal, state and local governments. You'd be bouncing out of their systems everytime they try to match you with their data or worse trying to explain it to some customer service representative over the telephone that you aren't using a relative's card number. For sure, getting your tax refund would be held up but your tax return would bounce out, too, due to a mismatch with your name and social security number (there is a reason why the husband's social security number is considered to be the primary social security number for married people) and think about purchases and memberships and claims where you would be either bounced from when you tried to buy something or be forced to file the paperwork for in advance to change "what they have on record." You'd definitely miss a few if you tried to do it in advance and then you'd be trying to deal with it electronically or over the phone. Timewise, it would be a nightmare, I think. Change your name when you are young and not in so many data systems like most people are these days.

Older. I remember the Houston Astrodome when it was just a bunch of dirt where Ooburuk invented the wheel.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:40 AM

16,881 posts, read 15,997,735 times
Today’s Question(s): Hello, folks!

* I do not answer such personal things on the internet.
I'll offer this, instead: I baked a giant ham yesterday and I've been chowing on it all day and all through the night. It's a Smithfield, 25% less sodium hardwood smoked ham, over 10 pounds. Yayyyyyy!
The cats get all they can eat, too.

Extra Credit Question:
Hoorayyyyyy!

~ What a gyp!

~
Here, take my social security number, too: 921-48-2014
Oh, I forgot my bank account number: 1-4039-6554-4998-3 Wells Fargo.
Mother's maiden name: Smithfield

We had really good Sausage McMuffins with egg the other day. 2 for $3.00.

Bonus Question:

~ I'd keep it and spend the name change fee at the Chinese buffet.

Why?
~ Because we love to eat at the buffet and we're not stupid enough to pay to change our names.

~ I wouldn't.
If I had to, I'll go with Brock Nouveau or Jim Sealy - two alter egos I created about 30 years ago.

Just for Fun:

~ What's that? Who knows, who cares....

Thanks, everyfolky! Thanks for the questions, wormykins!
Hi Larry! Hi David! Hi Pam! EAT!

Last edited by rainroosty; 04-09-2012 at 07:58 AM..

Old 04-09-2012, 07:45 AM

44,542 posts, read 61,215,278 times
Today’s Question(s):

Extra Credit Question:

Do you do your own taxes, or do you hire someone to prepare them for you? We hire an accountant.

If you file your own taxes, do you submit them electronically or on paper? E

Bonus Question:

If you could choose your own name, would you keep the name you have, or would you pick a different first name? Mines OK. Really never gave it a thought to change it.

Why? Why, "because we like it" said Mr. Rogers.

If you’d rather have a different name than the one you’ve got, what name would you prefer? If I was forced to change it then I'd name meself 'Percival'.

Just for Fun:

Are you older or younger than the Houston Astrodome? Astrodome, heck I'm older than the Roman Colosseum...:

Happy Monday everyone, try to make it a good week, enjoy...

Old 04-09-2012, 07:54 AM

36,334 posts, read 15,932,517 times
Today’s Question(s):

I owe the state so that will go in the mail this week!

Extra Credit Question:

Do it myself
Fed~electronically, State~paper

Bonus Question:

Same
Why?
Having a different name won't change who I have become.

Just for Fun:

Are you older or younger than the Houston Astrodome? Older~~~again!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics