Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 02:00 AM

38,651 posts, read 22,646,027 times

Advertisements

Today's Question:
Who has had the longest marriage of any couple you know?
Currently, it's my uncle (dad's older brother) and my aunt. They have been married going on 54 years in June.
What's their secret?
They both played golf and they both go to church on a regular basis. They really do enjoy each other's company.

Who has had the briefest marriage?
A family member's marriage lasted about a year.

Bonus Question:

Do you look forward to swimming or other water fun during warmer months?
I don't go swimming but I enjoy walking along the beach--when it's not crowded.

Foodie Question:

How do you want your grilled cheese sandwich?
Lightly buttered on both sides and slightly crispy, please.

Just for fun:

What kinds of fish or other aquarium pets have you kept?

I've been a fishkeeper since I was in 6th grade and I've kept all kinds of freshwater tropical fish, both big and small. I currently have a 60-gallon tank with 3 tinfoil barbs and 3 clown loaches. I'm thinking seriously of trading in the tinfoil barbs for something smaller and more colorful.

Tinfoil barb:

Clown loach:

Have a great Thursday!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 02:14 AM

26,273 posts, read 8,385,413 times
Good-morning-everyone.-Congratulations-bjh-on-your-parents-50th-wedding-anniversary.-The-couple-with-the-longest-marriage-I-know-of-have-been-married-60-years.-They-live-in-my-home-town,-and-are-the-parents-of-my-childhood-friend.-I-still-keep-in-touch,-they-were-very-kind-to-me-when-I-was-a-boy.-I-don't-swim.-I-come-from-a-family-of-non-swimmers.-Sisters,-cousins-parents.-I-knew-from-my-first-time-in-a-swimming-pool-as-a-boy-and-sank-like-a-stone,-the-tradition-would-continue.-I-like-my-grilled-cheese-sandwich-made-with-strong-cheddar-cheese,with-tomato-on-top-mmmmmm.-In-1606-the-Union-Jack-was-adopted-huh?-Scotland-is-discussing-leaving-the-Union-at-the-moment.-We-shall-see.-There-is-a-flagpole-I-can-see-out-my-bedroom-window-right-now-flying-the-England-flag,-which-is-a-red-cross-on-a-white-background.-You-never-used-to-see-that-till-recent-years,-it-was-always-the-Union-Jack.-Anyway,-that-s-all-for-now.-Have-a-good-day-everyone.

Old 04-12-2012, 04:02 AM

37,746 posts, read 40,814,062 times
Today's Question:

Marge and Homer Simpson after I just found out Mickey and Minnie never got married.

What's their secret?

Their kids never become teenagers which would cause them to fight with each other.

Britney Spears who was once married for 55 hours to that guy she knew from her childhood.

Bonus Question:

Do boat tours and water photography count?

Foodie Question:

No frills: buttered grilled bread and melted cheese.

Just for fun:

I had a small turtle named Portifoy. The name came from a butler character on some Rod Serling's Night Gallery TV episode in 1969. Roddy McDowell was in the episode but he wasn't the butler. That's all I remember about it. I just liked the name.

Old 04-12-2012, 04:15 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,365,201 times
bjh - congrats to your parents. I hope they enjoy their anniversary! More than 50 years - good job!

Today's Question:
Who has had the longest marriage of any couple you know? My grandparents. They've been married for 53 years this May.

What's their secret? I guess with so much family around (4 children + their husbands and wifes, 8 grandchildren (some now with partners also) and 2 grandchildren (and all living within throwing distance ) I guess they just don't have time to think about themselves and each other

Who has had the briefest marriage? Don't know any divorced couples personally

Bonus Question:
Do you look forward to swimming or other water fun during warmer months? Yes, of course. I love going to the beach with the kids. We often make breakfast picknicks on Sunday mornings. That's the time we're all alone at our small beach.

Foodie Question:
How do you want your grilled cheese sandwich? Never had a grilled cheese sandwich. Want to send one over???

Just for fun:
What kinds of fish or other aquarium pets have you kept? Guppies, neon tetras, angel fish and the likes. Large snails and also shrimps once.

Today Is:
Grilled Cheese Sandwich Day Now I'd love to try one!!!
Look Up at the Sky Day
Teen Literature Day
Walk on Your Wild Side Day Don't know if I'll find time for that

The weekend is just around the corner. Have a terrific day all!

Old 04-12-2012, 05:18 AM

27,246 posts, read 27,310,999 times
The longest marriage, I would say probably my grandparents. Next to that, a friend of mine out here. Though Ive had to refereee them a couple of times recently, but after 25 years, are still together.
I dont know anyone who has had a marriage very brief.
In the warmer months yes, i look forward to staying cool at the lakes.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:40 AM

51,696 posts, read 15,639,741 times
[quote=bjh;23822190]Welcome to the Thursday QotD!

April 12th is my parent's anniversary. They've been married over 50 years! This leads to our first question.

Today's Question:
Who has had the longest marriage of any couple you know? My uncle and his wife. They have been married close to 60 years.
What's their secret? Love,trust and understanding.

Who has had the briefest marriage? Idk, Kim Kardashian!

Bonus Question:
Do you look forward to swimming or other water fun during warmer months? Not really

Foodie Question:
How do you want your grilled cheese sandwich?Bread lightly buttered with a piece of onion on top of the cheese.

Just for fun:
What kinds of fish or other aquarium pets have you kept?We've had guppies,mollies,angelfish,tetras,spotted catfish,ciclids and some others that I can't recall their names right now. We also have had snails and newts.
If you haven't, what home acquarium critters have you seen?

Today in History:
1606 England adopted the Union Jack flag
1770 The Townsend Acts, partly designed to raise taxes in the British colonies of North America, were repealed
1844 Texas became a U.S. territory
1857 Gustave Flaubert's novel Madame Bovary published in Paris
1861 Fort Sumter, South Carolina shelled by the Confederacy, thus starting the US Civil War
1911 1st non-stop London-Paris flight by Pierre Prier in 3 hours and 56 minutes
1927 General Chiang Kai-shek began a counter revolution in Shanghai against communists
1961 Russian Yuri Gagarin became 1st person to orbit Earth in Vostok 1
1981 Maiden voyage of space shuttle Columbia

Today’s Word:
cairn·gorm [kairn-gawrm] noun
smoky quartz ~ also called Cairngorm stone
Origin: 1785–95 ~stone from Scottish mountain so named

Today Is:
Grilled Cheese Sandwich Day
Licorice Day
Look Up at the Sky Day
Space Flight Day
Teen Literature Day
Walk on Your Wild Side Day

A Picture for Today:
Smokey Quartz

Old 04-12-2012, 06:02 AM

5,987 posts, read 11,637,472 times
Today's Question:
Nancy and I were married for 42 yrs. She left me for a Jewish Carpenter named Jesus.
What's their secret?
Believe your wedding vows and keep that Jewish carpenter at the center of your marriage.

Bonus Question:
Not really

Foodie Question:
On someone elses plate.

Just for fun:
Don't think I know anyone wih an acquarium

Today in History:
1606 England adopted the Union Jack flag
1770 The Townsend Acts, partly designed to raise taxes in the British colonies of North America, were repealed
1844 Texas became a U.S. territory
1857 Gustave Flaubert's novel Madame Bovary published in Paris
1861 Fort Sumter, South Carolina shelled by the Confederacy, thus starting the US Civil War
1911 1st non-stop London-Paris flight by Pierre Prier in 3 hours and 56 minutes
1927 General Chiang Kai-shek began a counter revolution in Shanghai against communists
1961 Russian Yuri Gagarin became 1st person to orbit Earth in Vostok 1
1981 Maiden voyage of space shuttle Columbia

Today’s Word:
cairn·gorm [kairn-gawrm] noun
smoky quartz ~ also called Cairngorm stone
Origin: 1785–95 ~stone from Scottish mountain so named

Today Is:
Grilled Cheese Sandwich Day
Licorice Day
Look Up at the Sky Day
Space Flight Day
Teen Literature Day
Walk on Your Wild Side Day

A Picture for Today:
Smokey Quartz

This picture of was taken by a US government employee so is in the public domain.[/quote]

Old 04-12-2012, 06:33 AM

11,019 posts, read 17,405,692 times
Today's Question:
Who has had the longest marriage of any couple you know? My parents. Mama died March 14, 12 days after their 66th anniversary.
What's their secret? Just get along! Mama's birthday was Dec. 27. Being that close to Christmas, Daddy used to give her a half birthday on June 27. One year he ordered half a cake with just "Hap" and "Birt" (half of happy birthday. lol)

Who has had the briefest marriage? A year. Only reason it lasted that long was he was deployed to Afghanistan for a year.

Bonus Question:
Do you look forward to swimming or other water fun during warmer months? Fishing!

Foodie Question:
How do you want your grilled cheese sandwich? On my plate! lol Seriously I LOVE grilled bacon and cheese sandwiches!!

Just for fun:
What kinds of fish or other aquarium pets have you kept? Gold fish and whatever was cheap at the fish store. lol

Old 04-12-2012, 06:39 AM

20,549 posts, read 30,292,835 times
Good morning!!!

Who has had the longest marriage of any couple you know? My in-laws. They have been married almost 60 years.

What's their secret? My MIL is a saint, lol. My FIL is funny but he could drive you crazy

Who has had the briefest marriage? IDK...most people I know have been married for quite some time.

I'm more of a wader than a swimmer anymore. But I don't go swimming/wading around here. I do love water slides and water parks but I don't think I will be going to any. Looking forward to some road trips this summer

I've tried all different kinds but I still like the basic. Velveeta is the best melting cheese

What kinds of fish or other aquarium pets have you kept? I have only had goldfish.

If you haven't, what home acquarium critters have you seen? Sorry I don't remember the names.

Have a great day.

I wrote a another story..this one about landscaping
http://www.city-data.com/forum/23816637-post2553.html

Old 04-12-2012, 06:43 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,482,985 times
Good morning all! Short work day today and Granny duty tomorrow! I'm so excited!

50 years! That's wonderful!

Today's Question:
Who has had the longest marriage of any couple you know? 65 years..both my grandparents and DH's grandparents.
My sister has been married 32 years
My older brother 26 years
I've been married 22 years
and my younger brother 17 years
Luckily we didn't follow our parents example lol

What's their secret? Deafness...and a lot of laughter.

Who has had the briefest marriage? One friend...less than a year...silly children!

Bonus Question:
No, I'm not a water person.

Foodie Question:
How do you want your grilled cheese sandwich? Hot with dill pickles please!

Just for fun:
What kinds of fish or other aquarium pets have you kept? My mom kept one when we were younger.

If you haven't, what home acquarium critters have you seen? My uncle had a really cool on...a saltwater tank with seahorses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics