Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 11:35 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,796,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Ok, Here's what happened. I was working at one of the hospital's and was entering my patient's room through the isolation room when I noticed him sitting on the floor looking like something you'd see on Halloween. I hit the code alarm and started CPR but he didn't make it. I found out later that he was homeless and had $10,000 dollars in his room that nobody knew was there. How many of you out there would have kept the money? Be honest, don't make me come over there!
It's his money however I'm sure the hospital management took it to help pay for part or all of the bills. If I had found it, I'd make sure he and he only would get it back without anyone else having knowledge of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 11:44 AM

202 posts, read 862,263 times
I think the more important question is where did that guy get it? He likely did not earn it so there is someone out there missing $10Gs. Leave it up to the police to figure that out I guess. I know I wouldn't take it but I'm sure some in the chain of command would, either in the hospital or the police department...

Old 04-15-2012, 11:55 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,074,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Finding a wad of cash on these 'homeless' types is not that uncommon.

We found 27k on a train hopper.
there are those that have a fascination about freight-hoppers from the days of old. For an able bodied person who has cash to fall back on I can imagine it is some adventure. An American part of history.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:58 AM

12,981 posts, read 14,499,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaJay87 View Post
I think the more important question is where did that guy get it? He likely did not earn it so there is someone out there missing $10Gs. Leave it up to the police to figure that out I guess. I know I wouldn't take it but I'm sure some in the chain of command would, either in the hospital or the police department...
You couldn't possibly know that to be true. Some homeless people do have money, but for whatever reason, they choose to be homeless.

I find it VERY hard to believe that no relative wanted it, regardless of how they felt about the man. That doesn't sound normal.

Oh yeah, keeping it would never even enter my mind. That would be stealing--stealing from a homeless dead person-heck, that can't look good on your final resume!

I am sure someone, somewhere will decide that they are owed that amount, and that will be the end of it.

Old 04-15-2012, 12:13 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,696,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymystic View Post
You couldn't possibly know that to be true. Some homeless people do have money, but for whatever reason, they choose to be homeless.

I find it VERY hard to believe that no relative wanted it, regardless of how they felt about the man. That doesn't sound normal.

Oh yeah, keeping it would never even enter my mind. That would be stealing--stealing from a homeless dead person-heck, that can't look good on your final resume!

I am sure someone, somewhere will decide that they are owed that amount, and that will be the end of it.
I absolutely agree. Everyone who is homeless, is not poor. Investments? Pension? A complete lack of faith in a system, that they see as corrupt. Mental illness? There are all kinds of possible scenarios and reasons that a person may choose to keep their money on them and not have an "address".

Old 04-15-2012, 12:16 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,074,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
I absolutely agree. Everyone who is homeless, is not poor. Investments? Pension? A complete lack of faith in a system, that they see as corrupt. Mental illness? There are all kinds of possible scenarios and reasons that a person may choose to keep their money on them and not have an "address".
Off the grid living is certainly one. Being "in" society but not if in a major city. Invisible men or women.

Old 04-15-2012, 01:27 PM

44,256 posts, read 64,165,784 times
Police. Locked up in hospital safe as his property...then he died. So to police.

Old 04-15-2012, 01:56 PM

27,264 posts, read 27,328,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Kitty View Post
I would never take anything that wasn't mine. If I found the money I would turn it in to police and also let the media know in efforts to deter any police person capable of taking things from the evidence room.
Wise idea, I'm right behind you here. Good post!

Old 04-15-2012, 02:44 PM

54,482 posts, read 33,796,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Ok, Here's what happened. I was working at one of the hospital's and was entering my patient's room through the isolation room when I noticed him sitting on the floor looking like something you'd see on Halloween. I hit the code alarm and started CPR but he didn't make it. I found out later that he was homeless and had $10,000 dollars in his room that nobody knew was there. How many of you out there would have kept the money? Be honest, don't make me come over there!
It doesn't belong to me so I won't keep it, besides somebody has to pay for the expenses he incurred in his hospital stay. If the expenses total less than $10,000, somebody in his family should get what's left.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:31 AM

18,748 posts, read 11,737,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
What does that mean?? You paint a frightening picture here.

Why was he homeless if he had 10 K on him? It could at least put a roof over his head somewhere, Even if not permanently.

At any rate, I would not take it. To take cash from a dead man who was homeless to boot is insidious.
When I had found him he had been gone for I'm guessing about 10 to 15 minutes. At that stage he was incredibly blue and other things that are to graphic for the sensitive. I talked to his RN and she said she had seen him around 30 min. prior to my finding him. He may have been staying at homeless shelters or transient hotels from time to time, thus no permanent address. We had a lot of people in that situation at that hospital.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics