Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2012, 02:17 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,391,254 times

Advertisements

NEW YORK, April 15 (UPI) -- Catholicism, Protestantism, Islam and most branches of Judaism endorse organ donation as the highest gesture of humanitarianism, U.S. doctors say.

Yet, each year, more than 100,000 Americans will need a life-saving organ transplant, but last year fewer than 22,000 U.S. transplants took place, said physicians at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital in New York.

Read more: Organ donor: Highest form humanitarianism - UPI.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 03:20 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,084,990 times
I've always said organ donation is your way of cheating death in a way. If you donate your organs and then that person donates theirs and so on you technically could live forever.

Old 04-21-2012, 07:39 AM

20,549 posts, read 30,275,117 times
I'm an organ donor

Old 05-04-2012, 03:12 PM

325 posts, read 1,016,824 times
younglisa7

Hats off to you and God Bless You for giving life and or making someones life healthier.

Since hearing about Facebook helping people to sign up to become organ donors, I did an article on Squidoo and my blog on how to sign up to register. As I was researching organ donation facts and watching these touching videos of lives saved and lost, I just cried.

Please help to spread the word about registering to become an organ donor. My neighbors life was saved with a live donor.

I hope there will be more people like you lisa.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 05-27-2012 at 12:46 AM.. Reason: No links to personal blogs

Old 05-04-2012, 05:54 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,147,140 times
I'm on the organ donor list, too.

Interesting what is said in the OP about Islam encouraging organ donation. I didn't know that. When I was in Saudi Arabia in '92-'94, I knew of not one single organ donation coming from a Saudi. (I was a dialysis nurse, closely allied with the organ donation program in the hospital I worked at.) Don't know if this was a Saudi thing or not. However, almost all the organs donated came from poor workers from other Islamic countries, such as Pakistan and Bangladesh.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:31 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,748,237 times
I’d been giving blood for a long time until I started failing the test with low iron or something. Nothing that was a health risk to me or others but they didn’t want unless I could get two points higher on the test they did.

As for organ donor,,,, I too have always been on the list for that. People forget that blood is just as valuable as organs for donations and you can replenish your blood within a day or so. It saves lives and there is always a shortage of blood.

Spoiler
And if Mike reads this post,,,, no they don’t want your piano they just want the organs.

Old 05-05-2012, 08:54 AM

43,854 posts, read 50,867,688 times
My parents and I are not only organ donors, but also cadaver donors (medical school).
It was a decision we all made way back.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:22 AM

20,549 posts, read 30,275,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
My parents and I are not only organ donors, but also cadaver donors (medical school).
It was a decision we all made way back.
That's cool. I contacted a medical school a few years ago to be a cadaver donor. They never called me back I guess they have so many donated for science that they weren't interested in mine

Old 05-05-2012, 12:29 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,748,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
That's cool. I contacted a medical school a few years ago to be a cadaver donor. They never called me back I guess they have so many donated for science that they weren't interested in mine

Wow,,,, another rejection in life. Some body (lol) wants you don’t worry, try again and let them know that you’re still alive at this time.

Check the yellow pages for anyone dealing in recycled body parts. I’m sure you’ll find an interested party who can use whatever you have that’s working or not.

Old 05-10-2012, 01:53 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,276,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
NEW YORK, April 15 (UPI) -- Catholicism, Protestantism, Islam and most branches of Judaism endorse organ donation as the highest gesture of humanitarianism, U.S. doctors say.

Yet, each year, more than 100,000 Americans will need a life-saving organ transplant, but last year fewer than 22,000 U.S. transplants took place, said physicians at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital in New York.

Read more: Organ donor: Highest form humanitarianism - UPI.com
That is very interesting. I don't think it is the highest form of humanitarianism though. If u donate ur organs ignore the health needs of the poor and discriminate against ur fellow human being on the basis of religion, national origin, color, gender, social/financial status how could u be considered a humanitarian just because u donate ur organs??? Organ donation maybe a good thing, but it does not make one more humane or less humane if a person does not donate organs. I think the US doctors are just saying whatever it takes to get more people to be organ donors

Thanks John I love this thread
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics