Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 12:56 AM

8,798 posts, read 21,205,573 times

Advertisements

I walked out of a bar once. The alternative was being delivered to the morgue.

I can be a fast talker when I need to be.

Would like to know more about this story.....

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 01:00 AM

When I went to school in Superior (Wisconsin), I had to change planes at Midway & take a little hopper plane up to Duluth. Once the pilot was so drunk (actually drinking from a bottle) and it was in the middle of a blizzard. How we didn't crash, I'll never know.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 04-22-2012, 01:15 AM

51,696 posts, read 15,638,311 times
A friend and I were walking up the stairway to my apartment when some guy we knew followed us up and tried to pry his way into the apartment as I was closing the door.. so while I had my friend run in the kitchen to grab a knife (the kitchen was close to the door) and call the cops I slammed his arm in the door a couple of times. When Roberta brought me the knife I told the guy if he took another step in I would cut his throat and the cops were on their way. I'm happy to say all turned out okay for us.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:35 AM

18,750 posts, read 11,719,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
We were sailing from San Francisco to Oahu (Hawaii) for our second transfer there. In the middle of the Pacific we were hit by a hurricane.
The ship was listing badly but we made it through. I was so sick for the entire trip that I lived on consumé the whole time.
OMG I would lose it. We were on a boat with friends on Lake Michigan waiting for the fireworks when a storm blew in. We only had tarps and umbrellas for cover and I was fine with that until the lightening and winds started. I was even more terrified in that situation then when that kid had his hands around my throat. I couldn't imagine going through a hurricane. Weren't you scared?

Old 04-22-2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
When I went to school in Superior (Wisconsin), I had to change planes at Midway & take a little hopper plane up to Duluth. Once the pilot was so drunk (actually drinking from a bottle) and it was in the middle of a blizzard. How we didn't crash, I'll never know.
I would have reported him and definitely not gotten on that plane.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Lady123 View Post
A friend and I were walking up the stairway to my apartment when some guy we knew followed us up and tried to pry his way into the apartment as I was closing the door.. so while I had my friend run in the kitchen to grab a knife (the kitchen was close to the door) and call the cops I slammed his arm in the door a couple of times. When Roberta brought me the knife I told the guy if he took another step in I would cut his throat and the cops were on their way. I'm happy to say all turned out okay for us.
Where's a gun when you need one? When I lived alone I had a doberman and a 22. I never locked my door and I never knew who would be in the apt. when I came home. (Ah the good old days ) The dog knew who belonged and who didn't, and at night if you made it past the dog you wouldn't make it past the 22.

Old 04-22-2012, 12:47 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,155,873 times
I was within 30 feet of an avalanche once many years ago. Scared the **** out of me because I had my 2 year old with me at the time. Fortunately, it was a small one and no one was killed but a teenage boy was buried in the snow for several hours.

Old 04-22-2012, 02:11 PM

3,923 posts, read 2,552,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
I'm sorry. I've been so poor that I've been down to $20 in my checking account. Are you able to draw unemployment?

No, I haven't worked in a while! I tried (for a little over a nanno second, okay, an hour...) to have a yard sale but it is too cold today. I did get $6 from a neighbor for my three drawer plastic rolling cart.

At least I tried.

Old 04-22-2012, 02:27 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,418,495 times
When I was totally deaf and blind, I got into a fight with my partner at the time and she slammed the door on my hand, breaking three fingers and causing my pinky to dangle by skin. We went to the E.R. and were made to wait three hours before I was given any pain medication, and before they reattached the finger. They told me I would probably lose the finger and need physical therapy for my hand to work. I used that hand to use sign language, receive sign language, and it’s my dominant braille-reading hand. Also as a jazz pianist, it is crucial in harmony. So the idea that I might not have full function of my hand, and that I might have only 9 fingers was the scariest thing I could possibly hear. It turns out that my finger was saved, though I lost some sensation in it. My hand dexterity is fine, though. When I use my hands a lot, and when it rains, I feel pain in the bones that had been broken. Since then I’ve gotten my hearing back (which was related to the same physically abusive situation that almost cost me my pinky).

I wasn’t scared while this happened, because I didn’t know any better, but my roommate relayed the whole story to me much later, since he didn’t think I could handle knowing what had happened at the time. My roommate and I were hanging out at a coffee shop. I was in a lot of pain that day so I wasn’t swinging my blind cane, but instead, had it folded up under my arm and was holding onto him for sighted-guide. I sat down for a moment, and while my roommate went to order us some coffee, a cop saw my cane and thought it was a gun. He told me to drop the weapon but I didn’t hear him cause I was deaf. Since he thought I was ignoring his command, he was just about to pull the trigger when my roommate turned around and yelled, “She’s deaf and blind! That’s a cane, not a gun!” He yanked the cane out from under my arm and extended it to its full length. I go to a deaf school now and it scares me that a deaf person could be walking down the street, an officer could issue a command, and because they wouldn’t hear it, they would be shot. Stories of deaf people being shot cause they didn’t hear an officer command have made the news before.

Old 04-22-2012, 05:30 PM

I would love to hear more about how you manage what must be a very difficult lifestyle.
I'm glad you are on this forum.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics