U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 05:59 AM

96 posts, read 423,222 times

Advertisements

#1: If you could move anywhere you want, which place would you choose and why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2006, 08:40 AM

622 posts, read 2,535,024 times
I'm dealing with this issue right now-

I'm moving to a city. I've lived in the burbs now for 2 years and I hate it. It is so dull. Your neighbors don't know each other. There is nothing to do. It takes forever to get anywhere. What everyone calls a park is a small section of grass with a few trees... I swear people act as if they have never seen a forest before. "Stale" is the best word I would use to describe a suburb. It lacks the culture, uniqueness of a city.

This small town girl has never lived in a city before, though, and I'm so scared. If it doesn't work out, I'm going to just leave it all behind and get a cabin in the woods so I can finally be at peace where I belong.

So maybe my answer to that question is neither A or B, but C: deep in the woods, far away from civilization.

Old 09-18-2006, 09:13 AM

4,659 posts, read 15,775,199 times
The farther away I am from a huge city, the happier I am

Old 09-18-2006, 09:27 AM

28 posts, read 228,972 times
Love small towns near enough to a larger one to shop in!

Old 09-18-2006, 09:31 AM

Default None of the above

I understand your dilemma. I have been watching the downtown renewal of several cities in expectation of the latest shift of population, and wonder if it will all turn into the next version of slums.

I think many of us who nostalgiacally remember neighborhoods, are longing for them again, but can't seem to find them. Many of our grandparents (and maybe our parents too) moved from the cities to escape the problems of industrialization all around them....pollution, crowded living spaces, and all the images that come to mind with city dwellers of the past. But eventually they were disappointed to learn that, in one generation, it seemed that the dream of being a home owner became too much of a burden.

So, I wonder if this is just a human fault that pervades everything we do.

To be blunt, it seems we ruin one location only to go find a new one to ruin all over again. Is overdevelopment the enemy? Greed? Is it because we have a society that believes that we can continue to consume and dispose of everything we posess without any repercussions?

Sorry, kind of off the mark here....I like choice "C" also, if only I could survive away from every day conveniences...

Old 09-18-2006, 09:49 AM

8,191 posts, read 28,107,596 times
Give me 50 acres of partially wooded land with a creek running through it and no neighbors in sight and I will be in heaven (my dog too!). My husband would curl up in a ball and die. He would be happy living in a tarpaper shack if there was a 7-11 on the corner.

Old 09-18-2006, 11:07 AM

16,475 posts, read 20,755,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post
Give me 50 acres of partially wooded land with a creek running through it and no neighbors in sight and I will be in heaven (my dog too!).
Amen to that!!! I'll only add that I need four season with a good amount of rain in spring and summer, and snow, snow, snow in the winter.

Old 09-18-2006, 11:19 AM

2,814 posts, read 12,072,849 times
I've lived in a city...10 years in San Francisco, and although I appreciate the advantages such as restaurant choices and variety, bookstores, coffeeshops, Opera, high-end shopping, etc., it's not for me over a long period of time, although...for a dense city, San Francisco is probably one of the more pedestrian friendly places. On the other side is a place like Las Vegas where I lived for five years. I loved Las Vegas. The air is good, bright clear open landscape and skies, dramatic natural environment, but it's sprawling and one needs to drive to go anywhere, which doesn't bother me, but it's not condensed like San Francisco or Seattle. Even so, I did love living there. But, my dream has been to live on acreage close to a medium-sized city with decent shopping and amenities in a four-season environment with core American values and somewhere I could afford. I found that place here near Springfield, Missouri and am happily living on 4.3 acres that's half forested and half rolling lawns with oaks and hickory trees. I was watching a doe with her fawn earlier about 30 ft. from the house. Springfield is about 150,000 people and has a good mall and two large department stores, a Sam's Club, an artsy revival theater scene, lots of colleges including Missouri State University and a few bible colleges and business colleges, two good hospitals and the downtown is a classic brickfronted square that has revitalized with new coffeeshops like the Mud House, good restaurants like Flame, specialty shops for clothing and furniture, etc. Yet I can drive back home and be in the most beautiful country I can imagine in 20 minutes. I'm living where I want to live now. If I get a craving for the "city", I can drive to St. Louis, or, since it's not that far really, I can fly into Chicago (another of my favorite big cities). I love where I live

Old 09-18-2006, 11:33 AM

622 posts, read 2,535,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soapboxsallysmom View Post
So, I wonder if this is just a human fault that pervades everything we do.
I don't believe it is a human fault. I believe it is a fault of western cultural ideologies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapboxsallysmom View Post
Is it because we have a society that believes that we can continue to consume and dispose of everything we posess without any repercussions?
Yes. I think so. It also has to do with the fact that the earth is not supposed to be this populated. The human race shows no sign of slowing. This means congestion, overcrowding, development. Development because everyone needs a place to live. Development because we are a society of material possessions and where people live, people shop. So greed is a part of it, too, yes.

But I also think, or hope, that a change is coming. It seems to me, as you pointed out, people are searching for something that has been lost.

Last edited by mariatherese; 09-18-2006 at 11:34 AM.. Reason: sic

Old 09-18-2006, 11:39 AM

MoMark, Thanks for a great reply. I'm packing as I type this
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or