Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 06:53 AM

4,045 posts, read 1,866,657 times

Advertisements

Today’s Question(s):

When was the last time you honked your horn at another car?
Rarely at another car. I find it annoying that some people are so impatient and honk at the slightest hesitation of the person ahead of them. The only time I honk is if someone is backing up and about to run into me. Two people have backed into my car at the grocery store...
And then, not at another car but I honk sometimes to say good bye when leaving a friend's house.
Oh, and probably the most often is when I'm not even in the car, but accidently hit the wrong button on the keyless remote.

Extra Credit Question:

Does your current or most recent employer or school hold fire drills?
Fire drills and lock downs.
Do you have a household emergency preparedness plan?

No, it's just me now, so the plan would be to run....

Bonus Question:

Do you have a camera? Not anymore.

If so, is it a film camera or a digital camera? Last one was a digital.

Is your camera the basic kind where you pretty much just push a button and the camera does the rest, or do you have all the fancy gadgets to enhance your photos? Point and shoot

Just for Fun:

What was your favorite book when you were a child? Hard to choose since if I wasn't out in the fields and woods my face was stuck in a book. I will say Nancy Drew.
Does anyone else remember learning to read with Sally, Dick and Jane?

Spring vacation week for me. Today I will go to recycling and then to get groceries. Have a good day, all!

Last edited by kpinvt; 04-23-2012 at 07:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 06:55 AM

1,906 posts, read 1,611,675 times
Mornin' all!

It's good to be back from the Canadian Maritimes, although it is my favorite place! Thanx younglisa7 for filling in for me last Wednesday!

Today’s Question(s):

Do you honk your horn:
If someone cuts you off?
If someone turns in front of you?
In traffic jams?
If the light turns green and the car in front of you doesn’t move? Only after a "polite amount of time."
If someone is going too slowly in front of you?
If someone is hesitating unnecessarily in taking a turn?
To say “hi” to a friend you see? Only if there are no other cars in the area.
Other reasons?

Extra Credit Question:

My most recent former employer required it, as we were personal caregivers for people with special needs.

Hubby grabs the dog, I get the kitties, and we gather appropriate to the disaster.

Bonus Question:

Do you have a camera?
Several

If so, is it a film camera or a digital camera?
Yes

Is your camera the basic kind where you pretty much just push a button and the camera does the rest, or do you have all the fancy gadgets to enhance your photos?
The one with all the fancy gadgets was my favorite, but it broke, and most places near me have stopped processing standard film, let alone B&W, which is my favorite.

Do you have a photo you’ve taken recently that you’d like to share here?
Why yes, yes I do (see below)!

Just for Fun:

What was your favorite book when you were a child?
Why Have the Birds Stopped Singing? by Zoa Sherburne

Today in History:
1564 – Birth of playwright William Shakespeare
1616 – Death of playwright William Shakespeare Weird!
1635 – The first public school in the United States, the Boston Latin School, is founded in Boston, Massachusetts
1662 – Connecticut is chartered as an English colony
1900 – The first known appearance of the word “hillbilly,” in the New York Journal
1940 – The Rhythm Night Club fire at a dance hall in Natches, Mississippi kills 198 people
1945 – Flossenbürg concentration camp in Bavaria, Germany is liberated by the 90th and the 97th Infantry Divisions of the US Army I'd only recently heard about this camp.
1985 – Coca-Cola changes its formula and releases New Coke. After an overwhelmingly negative response, the original formula is back on the market within three months. It was pretty much just like Pepsi, which was why us loyal Coke drinkers were loyal Coke drinkers!
1992 – McDonald’s opens its first fast-food restaurant in China

Today’s Word:
Lenitive \lĕn ĭ tĭv\ adjective
Capable of easing pain or discomfort

Today Is:
Read to Me Day
International Sing-out Day
International Nose-Picking Day
Picnic Day
Fire Drill Day
International Marconi Day
Movie Theatre Day
Talk Like Shakespeare Day And indeed I shall!

The photo is of my first real moose sighting, in Gros Morne National Park in Newfoundland. It's a little blurry, but we had to stop the car to take the photo, and we were actually close enough to be intimidated, so I got what I got and we left the moose alone!

Have a good one everyone! Thanx MwBW for the Qs!
Attached Thumbnails
Today's Question Monday, 23 April 2012-my_first_moose-_opt.jpg  

Old 04-23-2012, 06:59 AM

39,031 posts, read 22,969,538 times
Today’s Question(s):

Do you honk your horn:
If someone cuts you off?
In traffic jams?
If the light turns green and the car in front of you doesn’t move?
To say “hi” to a friend you see?
Other reasons?
Never honked at anyone as I don't drive.

Extra Credit Question:

Does your current or most recent employer or school hold fire drills? At least once per year including the California Shake-Out (earthquake drill).

Bonus Question:

Do you have a camera? Digital one

If so, is it a film camera or a digital camera? Digital

Is your camera the basic kind where you pretty much just push a button and the camera does the rest, or do you have all the fancy gadgets to enhance your photos? It's not too fancy but there are ways of adjusting the background and zooming ... Of course, I don't use those as much.

Just for Fun:

What was your favorite book when you were a child? I don't recall ... I did not develop a passion for reading until I was in my mid teens.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:14 AM

36,363 posts, read 15,964,342 times
Today’s Question(s):

I beeped at my Dad while I was passing by!
Do you honk your horn:
If someone cuts you off?
In traffic jams?
Other reasons?
Hmmm, I never honk my horn!!

Extra Credit Question:

We have a plan for our clients.
Get the hell out! Grab the kitties!!

Bonus Question:

Do you have a camera?
yes
Digital
Is your camera the basic kind where you pretty much just push a button and the camera does the rest, or do you have all the fancy gadgets to enhance your photos? Nothing fancy

Maggie, Dad's wonderful Border Collie.

Just for Fun:

What was your favorite book when you were a child? Jungle Book!

Old 04-23-2012, 07:18 AM

44,291 posts, read 19,957,759 times
Today’s Question(s):

When was the last time you honked your horn at another car? I don't recall. Maybe a couple months ago.
Do you honk your horn:
If someone cuts you off? No.
If someone turns in front of you? Yes.
In traffic jams? Never.
If the light turns green and the car in front of you doesn’t move? If it's been several seconds and it appears the driver is looking away and didn't notice the light changed, I'll just tap the horn.
If someone is going too slowly in front of you? No.
If someone is hesitating unnecessarily in taking a turn? No.
To say “hi” to a friend you see? Never. This is stupid.
Other reasons? There's a lot of road rage around here, so in most scenarios I don't use my horn. I use it if it appears it could prevent a collision. To use it when someone cuts me off could be dangerous. People who do that sort of thing usually have a chip on their shoulder to begin with. Road rage is a scary thing.

Extra Credit Question:
Does your current or most recent employer or school hold fire drills? No. My office building is not huge, and each of us has a map in his/her office with a highlighted escape route. No one is more than a few seconds from an exit, nor several seconds from a second exit.
Do you have a household emergency preparedness plan? No. I live alone, so don't have to be concerned with getting a family out. Unfortunately, my kitties would probably hid in the event of an emergency, and I doubt I would be able to get to them. That worries me.

Bonus Question:
Do you have a camera? Yes; a few.
If so, is it a film camera or a digital camera? One film camera; one little point-and-shoot digital camera; one fancy schmancy digital camera with an extra zoom lens.
Is your camera the basic kind where you pretty much just push a button and the camera does the rest, or do you have all the fancy gadgets to enhance your photos? My film camera and my good digital have lots of bells and whistles.
Do you have a photo you’ve taken recently that you’d like to share here? I'd love to! I took this one in my office about 15 minutes ago:

Just for Fun:
What was your favorite book when you were a child? Black Beauty

Today’s Word:
Ibuprofen is lenitive.

Today Is:
Read to Me Day If I had someone to read to, I'd do it! Will have to settle for reading to myself.
International Sing-out Day THIS, I will do. I sing every day.
Picnic Day Does this have to do with nose-picking? Pic-nic: get it?
Fire Drill Day I'll keep that in mind.
International Marconi Day I love macaroni! Haven't had it for a while. Too many carbs.
Movie Theatre Day I went to a movie theatre last evening, but when I got there I learned that they'd posted the wrong start time on their web site, so I didn't stay. They posted 5:50 instead of 5:05 p.m. Dang!
Talk Like Shakespeare Day Hark! What light by yonder window breaks?

Happy monday, everyone!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 04-23-2012 at 07:42 AM..

Old 04-23-2012, 07:24 AM

4,704 posts, read 3,268,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpinvt View Post
What was your favorite book when you were a child? Hard to choose since if I wasn't out in the fields and woods my face was stuck in a book. I will say Nancy Drew.
Does anyone else remember learning to read with Sally, Dick and Jane?
Sally, Dick and Jane..........remember them well.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:46 AM

20,549 posts, read 30,312,178 times
Good morning!!!

When was the last time you honked your horn at another car? Oh..it's been a long time. We don't have traffic here and I have learned to chill more as I get older. If I of honk it;s usually just a tap to wake someone up

Do you honk your horn:
If someone cuts you off? I haven't had that happen in forever. But my hubby used to have that happen when we had the big 40 foot motorhome Just once I wanted him to use the air horn on them....just once
If someone turns in front of you? No...but hey I'm part Italian so my hands and mouth will be flying a mile a minute
In traffic jams? Nah....really how far are you gonna get?
If the light turns green and the car in front of you doesn’t move? I'll do a horn tap to wake them up
If someone is going too slowly in front of you? No...I'm always early so I don't need to do that. I always give myself plenty of time. I may mumble at them and pass them if I can but I don't honk.
If someone is hesitating unnecessarily in taking a turn? Nah....I stay pretty far away from other drivers so it doesn't bother me....although I may wonder if they are waiting for a special invitation to make the turn
To say “hi” to a friend you see? I'll do that.
Other reasons? Nope.

Does your current or most recent employer or school hold fire drills? I haven't done a fire drill since High School....maybe it was Junior High

Do you have a household emergency preparedness plan? Oh yeah

Do you have a camera? I do and I just got a fancy new case for it

If so, is it a film camera or a digital camera? It's digital which is pretty cool.....but now I take too many unnecessary pictures "because I can"

Is your camera the basic kind where you pretty much just push a button and the camera does the rest, or do you have all the fancy gadgets to enhance your photos?
Point ans shoot baby

Sure...and it's title is:

This is April

And on a better note.

My veggie plants...but they will have to wait before they can get planted.

What was your favorite book when you were a child? Oh I don't think I had any one book as a favorite. I have always loved to read and still do but I like so many.

Happy Monday!!!

Old 04-23-2012, 07:50 AM

7,487 posts, read 7,978,674 times
Just a quick break to answer these questions and then off to the airport to head home for a week.

Today’s Question(s):

Has been a while

Do you honk your horn:
If someone cuts you off?
In traffic jams?
If the light turns green and the car in front of you doesn’t move? XXXXXX

Other reasons?

I rarely use my horn. I have very little road rage in me. I will tolerate just about everything other drivers might do.

Extra Credit Question:

My employer might. I am at least 3000 miles from headquarters, so I do not know what they do.

Yes I do. Unless the fire is small enough that I can attempt to put it out, my plan simply consists of getting my butt out of the house. I have three doors and lots of windows to choose from. Other than myself there is nothing that can not be replaced.

Bonus Question:

Do you have a camera?
Several

Both

My film cameras have lots of options. My digital cameras are your basic point and shoot.

Not currently at home where my stuff is at.

Just for Fun:

Ones with lots of pictures

Today in History:

1564 – Birth of playwright William Shakespeare
1616 – Death of playwright William Shakespeare
1635 – The first public school in the United States, the Boston Latin School, is founded in Boston, Massachusetts
1662 – Connecticut is chartered as an English colony
1900 – The first known appearance of the word “hillbilly,” in the New York Journal
1940 – The Rhythm Night Club fire at a dance hall in Natches, Mississippi kills 198 people
1945 – Flossenbürg concentration camp in Bavaria, Germany is liberated by the 90th and the 97th Infantry Divisions of the US Army
1985 – Coca-Cola changes its formula and releases New Coke. After an overwhelmingly negative response, the original formula is back on the market within three months.
1992 – McDonald’s opens its first fast-food restaurant in China

Today’s Word:

Today Is:
Read to Me Day
International Sing-out Day
Picnic Day
Fire Drill Day
International Marconi Day
Movie Theatre Day
Talk Like Shakespeare Day

Old 04-23-2012, 07:52 AM

7,487 posts, read 7,978,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
Question:

This is Col. Snuggledorf stretching to reach a nibble of cheese. He's a true Sconnie-cat, and he'll go to extraordinary lengths to get cheese. He'd get along famously with Alaskan Mutt, I think!
Send him on up.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:55 AM

37,758 posts, read 40,852,602 times
Today’s Question(s):

About 3 months ago when someone backed out of a parking space without looking.

Do you honk your horn:
If someone cuts you off?
In traffic jams?
Other reasons?

I don't honk my horn unless I think someone is going to plow into me. One of the things I noticed when I moved here 5 years ago is that horn honking is not done. If an impatient person honks their horn at a traffic light the first reaction is to look at their plates to see where they are from because it's probably not here.

Extra Credit Question:

Yes

The household is me. The primary goal is grab my car keys on my way out the door, if possible. I always keep at least a half tank of gas in the car. I usually have my ID/cards on me or they are with the keys. I sleep with my cell phone. I live in a place where the emergency might involve a siren that is tested once a month and there is an evacuation go-to location out of town that I am assigned to and a shelter in place plan (also known as kiss your a** goodbye plan). For a weather emergency like a tornado, not much I can do in an apartment complex except get in the walk-in closet.

Bonus Question:

Do you have a camera?

several, it's my hobby.

All are digitals.

I have all kinds of cameras. I use manual settings for all the cameras and edit with software, post-processing but they all have some kind of "auto" setting.

Taken last week in my town when testing new back-up camera for the first time.

I'm pretty sure it was Peter Rabbit.

Last edited by LauraC; 04-23-2012 at 08:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics