Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 10:35 AM

43,854 posts, read 50,929,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper1 View Post
How funny you post this today. I just had a friend send me a gift in the mail and OMG!!! I thought I was never going to get it open!!
That was from TexasFireWheel....wasn't it?
That girl can FLAT tape up a box!!
She missed her calling as a postal guru.

-------------------------------------------
As far as the original peeve....it's KID TOYS that are impossible to open.
My grandson can't even play with anything in the car I just bought
because it requires 'tools' to open.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 12:28 PM

44,278 posts, read 19,941,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
Good morning peevers.

The rain has definitely returned and we're in the middle of a week of downpours.

I just got my coffee and had to open a new carton of milk. It opened fairly easily, but that is not always the case with various containers.

Some of the early versions were real pigs to open and there's a classic TV clip of a company boss using scissors and pouring liquid all over himself whilst demonstrating the ease of use of his carton on live TV.

Let us know your experiences, because the POTD is;

Cartons/packets etc that are difficult to open.
I didn't have a problem opening most containers when I was young. Now that I'm older and have arthritis in my hands, pretty
much everything it a beeotch to open. Especially on rainy days like today.

And what's up with the stupid wax-paper-type bags inside boxes of cereal? It's almost impossible (for me, anyway) to open one
without it suddenly tearing and making a mess. One shouldn't have to get out a pair of scissors just to open a new container of cereal.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 04-25-2012, 01:21 PM

15,927 posts, read 8,116,725 times
Gaaaaaaaaaagh! Those dratted little milk cartons!!!!!!!!

Old 04-26-2012, 12:44 AM

114,841 posts, read 65,543,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoy View Post
Guess this is one way to deal with the problem
Oh those cake boxes! If you have a sleeping child in the house better take those outdoors to open. The noisiest thing in the world to open!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
I have a "tool drawer" in the kitchen. Among other things, it contains heavy duty scissors (for that iron-like plastic packaging you have to cut off), a heavy blade letter opener, for prying open the milk cartons (like in the video), a pair of large pliers that open wide (to opening those sealed-on plastic lids), heavy duty box box cutter (for opening packages), large screw drivers (various uses in prying open things)--everything I need to crack a "safe".
Yeah, I have the tools in close proximity if not in the kitchen.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:58 AM

16,562 posts, read 17,332,581 times
Got to tell you this.

Back in the 1980s I got this new fangled thing- a car phone. I was parked up near some houses on the edge of a town near to my business appointment and got on the phone to head office to sort a few things out. This was just before Christmas (that does come into it! )

I'm deep in conversation with someone at the office when suddenly there's a knock on the window and I nearly jumped out of my skin.

Standing there wearing an apron over her clothes is a lady holding something up to the window. I said 'Hold on' to my colleague on the phone, which I put on mute, wound the window down and the lady said 'I'm really sorry but could you help me by opening this jar of mincemeat?'

I said no problem, gave it a good hard turn and bingo, it opened. She thanked me profusely and pootled off to finish her mince pies, or whatever she was cooking.

Back on the phone my colleague asked what the heck was going on and I said that I'd just opened a jar of mincemeat.

Needless to say he didn't believe me and even asked me what had happened the next time I was in the office!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics