Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 01:36 AM

16,562 posts, read 17,328,949 times

Advertisements

Good morning peevers.

Thanks as always for for replies to this thread. They can be informative, amusing, thought provoking and sometimes a combination of the above!

I was struggling for a peeve today, but once I wrote that sentence above it struck me that people do not always say thank you when perhaps they should.

So, my dear peevers, the POTD is;

When someone doesn't say thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 03:15 AM

6,441 posts, read 5,233,522 times

You're right! I forget to say thanks to all the people taking the time to make DAILY posts!

Old 04-26-2012, 06:17 AM

20,549 posts, read 30,294,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
So, my dear peevers, the POTD is;

Good peeve. Sadly it seems that a lot of common, or at least they used to be, courtesies are gone.

I hate when I hold a door open for someone and then they walk through like a king or queen and they don't even acknowledge you. I feel like slamming the door on them

Last edited by ylisa7; 04-26-2012 at 06:59 AM..

Old 04-26-2012, 06:44 AM

26,273 posts, read 8,386,016 times
I-was-brought-up-to-be-polite.-I-think-most-of-my-generation-were.-Always-to-say-please-and-thankyou.-To-open-doors-for-ladies,-to-stand-up-on-the-bus-for-a-lady-to-sit-down.-Always-to-say,-'please-can-I-leave-the-table'-at-the-end-of-a-meal.-Seems-to-have-gone-with-the-wind-today.-But,-I-try-to-keep-up-old-fashioned-standards!!

Old 04-26-2012, 06:58 AM

11,874 posts, read 11,019,391 times
I was just raised to always say please and thank you; if I forgot, my dad reminded me real quick Raised my son the same way.
Shame so many people have forgotten common courtesy.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:11 AM

10,156 posts, read 11,115,117 times
A simple "Thank You" can go a long way!!!

Old 04-26-2012, 07:13 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,420,491 times
That always feels so awkward to me. I can take it if someone forgets to thank me but when I hear silence instead of a thank you towards someone else who deserves one, I can't resist the urge to try to thank that person on the non-thanker's behalf...though obviously that isn't the same, lol.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I-was-brought-up-to-be-polite.-I-think-most-of-my-generation-were.-Always-to-say-please-and-thankyou.-To-open-doors-for-ladies,-to-stand-up-on-the-bus-for-a-lady-to-sit-down.-Always-to-say,-'please-can-I-leave-the-table'-at-the-end-of-a-meal.-Seems-to-have-gone-with-the-wind-today.-But,-I-try-to-keep-up-old-fashioned-standards!!
I like to take traditions and modernize them in ways, for example, I like to hold the door open for anyone, not just the ladies...

(You should see people's reactions when a blind person opens the door for them lol. They expect me to not know they're coming but they forget that I'm actually at an advantage in that I'm more aware of what's behind me since I depend on my hearing, which works for all 360 degrees around me.)

Old 04-26-2012, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Good peeve. Sadly it seems that a lot of common, or at least they used to be, courtesies are gone.

I hate when I hold a door open for someone and then they walk through like a king or queen and they don't even acknowledge you. I feel like slamming the door on them
One of my biggest pet peeves is when people don't open the door for disabled people who clearly cannot open the door themselves. I dated a woman in a wheelchair for a few months, and she couldn't even reach the push buttons designed for wheelchair users most of the time. Even more often than that, there were no push buttons at all. It was amazing how many people would just saunter through the door and let it fall closed behind them, not only not thinking about the fact that it's generally polite to keep the door open for someone, but that she physically couldn't even get it open if she wanted to. Obviously during the times that I witnessed this I was able to get it for her, but it irks me to know how often that happens to her when I or someone else isn't around to get the door for her. She's had to wait at awkward junctures, (sometimes between two doorways about 10 ft apart) or outside in the rain till someone was nice enough to get the door for her, all because most people don't even have the most basic of manners.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:34 AM

18,936 posts, read 11,532,262 times
The no thank-you thing gets to me most when I'm walking on the sidewalk and choose to step aside and wait so a jogger or bicyclist can go by without breaking their stride. Most joggers will thank you - if not verbally, at least with a smile or some other non-verbal acknowledgement. Most bicyclists just whiz on by like they own the sidewalk, when really, the laws usually state either that they shouldn't be on the sidewalk or are required to give way to pedestrians. These are casual riders - not the hard core guys in spandex - those guys usually stick to the streets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics