Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 04:26 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,592,509 times

Advertisements

Today's Question:
Okay, today's your chance.
Let's pretend you have a perfect singing voice and you get to perform the song of your choice, for as many or as few people as you want, no pressure.
Anyway, this is just for fun so . . .
What song are you going to sing and where?
Wow the perfect singing voice? In that case, I would probably sing the national anthem at the SuperBowl

Why that song?
Because now I have the perfect singing voice and it's a hard song to sing

Bonus Question:
There is a cliché about letting someone in on bad news in a public place, such as a restaurant, so that they won't throw (too much of) a fit.
Have you ever done this or heard of anyone who has?
Yeah someone did this to me
If so, tell us why, if you can.
I can't really say but it was terrible news and I still got upset

Do you think this is an acceptable way to break bad news to someone or not?
No not really

Foodie Question:
At home or in the theater, what are your favorite movie foods?
Popcorn and nachos

If you don't watch movies, what do you eat when relaxing?
Oh I definitely watch movies and I'll eat whatever is available

Just for fun:
In high school I once landed belly first in a mud puddle during a PE baseball game. Everyone got a big laugh out of it. I got a set of muddy gym clothes out of it.
My only regret - no tape to send to America's Funniest videos.
Have you ever wished you had a video camera to record something you saw for one of the funny video clip shows?
Yes, many times
Tell us about it.
My son used to do some really funny stuff when he was little that I wish I had caught on camera and my cat and dog do things sometimes that is either sweet or funny, like the cat licking the dog on the head.

Today Is:
Audobon Day.................................................. ..
Bird Day.................................................. .........they're fun to watch
Hug an Australian Day.......................................I would if I knew one
Intellectual Property Day...................................ok
Kids and Pets Day.............................................yay!
Poem in Your Pocket Day..................................no poems here
Pretzel day.................................................. .....love 'em
Richter Scale Day..............................................
Static Cling Day................................................ha te that stuff
Take Our Sons and Daughters to Work Day.......no workie for me

A Picture for Today:
Today's picture is in honor of Poem in Your Pocket Day. Here's a pocket-sized poem:

Fog by Carl Sandburg
THE fog comes
on little cat feet.
It sits looking
over harbor and city
on silent haunches
and then moves on.

And now here's a picture I took several months ago of some little cat feet.

Last edited by Ilene Wright; 04-26-2012 at 04:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 04:49 AM

51,696 posts, read 15,656,622 times
[quote=bjh;24032857]This week we've had April snow in the north, unseasonably hot weather in the west. It's going to be an interesting summer so hold onto your seats!

One thing we can depend on - rain or shine - is the QOTD

Today's Question:
Let's pretend you have a perfect singing voice and you get to perform the song of your choice, for as many or as few people as you want, no pressure.
What song are you going to sing and where? "Wind Beneath My Wings" by Bette Midler. I'd like to sing it in "Central Park" on a cool night where all could come and just sit on the lawn and have a good time.

Why that song? It's one of my favorite songs.

Bonus Question:
There is a cliché about letting someone in on bad news in a public place, such as a restaurant, so that they won't throw (too much of) a fit.
Have you ever done this or heard of anyone who has? No

Do you think this is an acceptable way to break bad news to someone or not? Not really

Foodie Question:
At home or in the theater, what are your favorite movie foods? Popcorn

If you don't watch movies, what do you eat when relaxing? At home.......it depends what my mood is...could be some fruit or could be popcorn or chips.

Just for fun:
In high school I once landed belly first in a mud puddle during a PE baseball game. Everyone got a big laugh out of it. I got a set of muddy gym clothes out of it.
Have you ever wished you had a video camera to record something you saw for one of the funny video clip shows? I don't watch those shows so my answer is NO.
Tell us about it.

Today in History:
1514 Polish astronomer Copernicus made his first observations of the planet Saturn
1564 Playwright William Shakespeare baptized in Warwickshire, England
1607 Jamestown, Virginia settlers arrived from England making landfall at Cape Henry
1803 Over 3,000 meteorites fell on L'Aigle in the Normandy area of France
1929 First non-stop flight from England to India
1959 Cuban forces attempted an invasion of Panama
1974 Landslide on the Mantaro River in Peru made a one-mile-long, 300-yard-wide, 20-yard-high natural dam that created an 8-mile-long lake.
1976 Pan Am began non-stop flights from New York City to Tokyo
1982 Argentina surrendered to Britain in the Falkland Islands conflict
1986 Nuclear disaster at Chernobyl in the then Soviet Ukraine when 4th reactor exploded, 31 died

Today’s Word:
ja·panned [juh-'pand] adjective,
various hard, durable, black varnishes, originally from Japan, for coating wood, metal, or other surfaces

Today Is:
Audobon Day
Bird Day
Hug an Australian Day - I would if I could
Intellectual Property Day
Kids and Pets Day
Poem in Your Pocket Day
Pretzel day
Richter Scale Day
Static Cling Day
Take Our Sons and Daughters to Work Day - They have their own jobs so maybe they could take me to work!

A Picture for Today:
Today's picture is in honor of Poem in Your Pocket Day. Here's a pocket-sized poem:

Fog by Carl Sandburg
THE fog comes
on little cat feet.
It sits looking
over harbor and city
on silent haunches
and then moves on

Old 04-26-2012, 04:55 AM

20,549 posts, read 30,320,797 times
Good morning!!!

Let's pretend you have a perfect singing voice and you get to perform the song of your choice, for as many or as few people as you want, no pressure. Anyway, this is just for fun so . . . Really....I'll be able to sing

What song are you going to sing and where? I don't know what song but I want an upbeat peppy song. If I'm going to sing I want people to have fun and sing along

Why that song? Because I hate those cry in your beer and depressing songs

Have you ever done this or heard of anyone who has? No.

Do you think this is an acceptable way to break bad news to someone or not? I would rather break the bad news to someone in a place where they are comfortable....and I hope I don't have to hug them I am not comfortable with that.....oh and I hope if it's a man they don't start crying. I really don't know how to deal with that. OK....never mind I'm getting someone else to do it

At home or in the theater, what are your favorite movie foods? Hot buttered popcorn...and I want to see it being popped there. Do you know I went to a movie many years ago and I saw them dumping huge "plastic bags" of popcorn into their popcorn holder. There is something really wrong with that

If you don't watch movies, what do you eat when relaxing? I'm trying to be good...but I would have to say smooth creamy chocolate ice cream

Have you ever wished you had a video camera to record something you saw for one of the funny video clip shows? Oh I have too many to count

Tell us about it. LOL...oh yeah...my life is funny. I have so many hilarious things that my DH and I have done while doing our projects. Many of them involve falling....into boxes, off ladders, down the hill on the side of the house. Of course there was the time I almost set my house on fire and it was all smokey....and a salesman came to my door. I started yelling at him..."do you really think this is the time for you to sell me something"

I would have to say the funniest and most embarrassing happened to me at my last office job or it was my mother when I was growing up...she loved to embarrass me

Office. I was sitting in my bosses office across from him at his desk. We were having a meeting....and me all nice and clean in heals and a dress. Sometime during the meeting my legs fell asleep. We were finished and I got up to leave. I almost made it to his office door and both of my legs gave out and I fell sprawled out on the floor in a dress which of course slid up. Nothing to do but laugh.

My mother. She was an absolute nut when I was growing up and often times a lot of fun...and sometimes I pretended not to know her This was when I was about 17. I drove to school and she was driving right behind me on her way to work. We got to the intersection right before my school which was very busy with buses and kids driving. I stopped for a red light. She got out of her car and came running over to mine and started yelling at me....really loud with hands going. She was yelling for me to stay away from her husband...and called me names OMG...she was insane

She would also hang out the window when I was driving and yell to other drivers that I was kidnapping her

Have a great day!!!

Last edited by ylisa7; 04-26-2012 at 05:36 AM..

Old 04-26-2012, 05:22 AM

10,160 posts, read 11,128,894 times
Today's Question:

Singin' in the Rain

Why that song?

It's always raining where I am... Seems to fit...

Bonus Question:

No

To Each Their Own...

Foodie Question:

Goobers

Just for fun:
Have you ever wished you had a video camera to record something you saw for one of the funny video clip shows?
Tell us about it.

Oh, I'd rather No say - I don't want to embarrass again.

Old 04-26-2012, 05:40 AM

16,901 posts, read 16,051,666 times
Today's Question: Thanks for the questions, BJH! Hiya everybody!
It seems like this is a week where lots of us have bad computer problems, myself included.

~ The impossible dream

Why that song?
~ I like to sing it and change the words and really hack it up good.

Bonus Question:

~ Heck no!

~ It's an acceptable response to pop someone who does it to you.

Foodie Question:

~ Popcorn. And a 64 ounce Coke or Pepsi to throw at the people in the front row seats.
Jawbreakers are really loud when they hit the metal backs of the seats.

~ Hundreds of things.

Just for fun:

~ Nope.

*** I want to pop the idiot that created these computer troubles for us. *** We should all stay home today and eat. ***

Last edited by rainroosty; 04-26-2012 at 06:02 AM..

Old 04-26-2012, 05:42 AM

259,023 posts, read 90,362,136 times
Today's Question:
What song are you going to sing and where? Old Rocky Top at the Grand Ole Opry

Why that song? I like it.

Bonus Question:
Have you ever done this or heard of anyone who has? Not that I can remember.

Do you think this is an acceptable way to break bad news to someone or not? Absolutely not.

Foodie Question:

At home or in the theater, what are your favorite movie foods? M&M's...

If you don't watch movies, what do you eat when relaxing? Usually fruit.

Just for fun:

Have you ever wished you had a video camera to record something you saw for one of the funny video clip shows? Yes

Tell us about it.
My then three year old daughter, was feeding ducks on the shores of Lake Taneycomo in Branson, Mo and when the feed ran out she wiggle her finger at them as to call them closer. Well one came close and grabbed her by the finger nearly pulling her in the lake. Talk about a squalling kid but she redefined "Squalling".

Today in History:

1514 Polish astronomer Copernicus made his first observations of the planet Saturn
1607 Jamestown, Virginia settlers arrived from England making landfall at Cape Henry
1974 Landslide on the Mantaro River in Peru made a one-mile-long, 300-yard-wide, 20-yard-high natural dam that created an 8-mile-long lake.
1986 Nuclear disaster at Chernobyl in the then Soviet Ukraine when 4th reactor exploded, 31 died

Today’s Word:

various hard, durable, black varnishes, originally from Japan, for coating wood, metal, or other surfaces

Today Is:

Audobon Day
Bird Day
Hug an Australian Day
Kids and Pets Day
Poem in Your Pocket Day
Pretzel day
Richter Scale Day
Static Cling Day
Take Our Sons and Daughters to Work Day

A Picture for Today:

Fog by Carl Sandburg

THE fog comes
on little cat feet.
It sits looking
over harbor and city
on silent haunches
and then moves on.

Last edited by Nomadicus; 04-26-2012 at 05:53 AM..

Old 04-26-2012, 05:49 AM

4,704 posts, read 3,269,127 times
Today's Question:
What song are you going to sing and where? Rollin in the deep......Adele and I don't care where as long as it's perfect like her version.

Why that song? Love Adele and that song makes me happy......I love the beat.

Bonus Question:
Have you ever done this or heard of anyone who has? No

Do you think this is an acceptable way to break bad news to someone or not? Not really.

Foodie Question:
At home or in the theater, what are your favorite movie foods? Popcorn.........but I only eat it at home.

If you don't watch movies, what do you eat when relaxing? CHOCOLATE!!!!!

Just for fun:
Have you ever wished you had a video camera to record something you saw for one of the funny video clip shows? Once while boating I was out on the tube and of coure they wanted to throw me off. I held on for a pretty wild ride but finally flew off and landed right threw the hole in the middle of the tube........too funny!!!
Tell us about it. ^^^

Today in History:

Today’s Word:

Today Is:
Audobon Day
Bird Day
Hug an Australian Day
Kids and Pets Day
Poem in Your Pocket Day
Pretzel day Now that's twisted!!!!
Richter Scale Day
Static Cling Day
Take Our Sons and Daughters to Work Day

A Picture for Today:

Fog by Carl Sandburg
THE fog comes
on little cat feet.
It sits looking
over harbor and city
on silent haunches
and then moves on.

And now here's a picture I took several months ago of some little cat feet.
Darling pic!!!!

Old 04-26-2012, 06:01 AM

18,940 posts, read 11,549,423 times
Have you ever done this or heard of anyone who has? not exactly but my best friend advised me to look my best in order to break up with my bf in middle school. To me it's a similar kind of advice and the kind I hope I'll never take again.

Do you think this is an acceptable way to break bad news to someone or not? no, I think it's manipulative and unkind

At home or in the theater, what are your favorite movie foods? I don't really get the movie/food connection - as much as I love snacking, that's just not one of the times I want to.

If you don't watch movies, what do you eat when relaxing? I'll snack on anything from chocolate to chips to carrot sticks - depends on my mood, waistline, and willpower!

Have you ever wished you had a video camera to record something you saw for one of the funny video clip shows? yes! One of the funniest family moments was when my mom (in her late 70s) did her imitation of our young male cousin struggling to walk in his ridiculously low, baggy jeans!

Old 04-26-2012, 06:03 AM

37,762 posts, read 40,870,361 times
Today's Question:

"Ave Maria" and if I can pretend I have the perfect voice then I have to also pretend I would actually get up and sing it outside of my car or shower so I'll go with Red Rocks.

Why that song?

No idea. It just popped into my head when you asked. I guess I think of it as a challenging song, usually sung by opera types, and if you have the perfect voice you should go for something hard like that to sing.

Bonus Question:

I've never done it but this makes me recall the original 1972 "The Heartbreak Kid" when Charles Grodin's character tells Jeannie Berlin's character ON THEIR HONEYMOON that it's over in a restaurant over a piece of pecan pie. (He met Cybil Sheppard when his wife got too sunburned to stay outdoors.)

Well the person that's doing it in a public place is deliberately doing it there counting on the other person not to make a scene so the person getting the news should make the biggest scene possible, if it's done to them, and make sure they say the person's full name loudly (maybe even throw in a few tidbits about them) to cure them of ever doing it again.

Foodie Question:

popcorn, twizzlers, blue icees. (At home - ice cream but not in the theater)

Ice cream is always the favorite, pretzel rods, peanuts, a fruit and nutty mix.

Just for fun:

No.

Today Is:

Static Cling Day

...and I thought World Penguin Day was bad.

Old 04-26-2012, 06:05 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,498,615 times
Good Morning all! The weekend is in sight!!!! Whoohoo!!!

Today's Question:

What song are you going to sing and where? Oh my there are so many....I like big powerful ballads so most of Celine Dion would be in the running but let's so with "I can only Imagine" by Mercy Me.

Why that song? It's one of my all time favs.

Bonus Question:
Have you ever done this or heard of anyone who has? No..that's just mean.

No way no how.....how inconsiderate!

Foodie Question:
At home or in the theater, what are your favorite movie foods? Anything chocolate. Bonus is salty added so let's have chocolate covered pretzels!

If you don't watch movies, what do you eat when relaxing? I don't need a special event for chocolate!

Just for fun:
Tell us about it.
My dog, trying to get out of a bath....I've never dealt with a dog that hates baths so much...it's truly hysterical....just to amuse ourselves we give them to him even when he doesn't need one....we are so mean lol

I love the picture today! Have a great day everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics