Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 08:25 PM

44,355 posts, read 20,059,784 times

Advertisements

Hello, kids! I hope everyone had a real nice weekend.
Scroll on down and check out Today's Tip!

MAKE A RESERVATION!

Whenever you plan to dine at a restaurant that accepts reservations, please call ahead or go online and make a reservation! I learned some time ago from the owner of an upscale restaurant near my home how important this is.

Even if you're going out on a night when you know the establishment will not be busy, making a reservation in advance is still important. The owner (or manager) needs to know how many waitstaff to schedule. If lots of customers show up without reservations, the restaurant may be understaffed and the manager may have to call in emloyees who were not scheduled to work. Consequently, service may be slower and/or less efficient until the additional staff arrives.

I never thought about this before my friend explained it to me. Making a reservation is courteous to the business owner and ultimately results in better service to the customers. Of course, most restaurants welcome patrons without reservations as well, but just tuck this little nugget of info away for future reference.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:39 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
Good suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 08:40 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,825,817 times
Thanks Pam! That would certainly add to efficiency. So many of our outings are spur of the moment. I'm betting people would be more into helping the restaurants with this if they actually paid their employees fair wages. Ability to maintain added staff is generally their excuse for paying the allowed minimum instead of a full wage. Thus leaving it to the kindness and generosity of it's patrons to pay their full prices plus employee wages to boot. But that's another subject.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:45 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,278,987 times
I cannot remember the last time I ate at a place where I would need to do that, unfortunately. I'm pretty sure that Chili's doesn't take reservations.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 04-29-2012, 09:17 PM

72,416 posts, read 18,200,999 times
I only make reservations on out of area restaurants like in L.A. Some on my side of town such as Pasadena would need reservations. Chinese Restaurants don't need reservations.You can reserve a private room if you have lots of people and some privacy,you know how noisy a Chinese restaurant can be.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:24 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,880,923 times
I’d call ahead for a table at my local neighborhood McD’s, but they just don’t care about me as a customer.

Good tip however Pam!

A different world cannot be built by indifferent people.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:13 PM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
Good idea, sometimes it works sometime it doesn't. Several times we made reservations and it didn't matter, we still had to wait a long time because of the backup of customers.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:46 AM

16,669 posts, read 17,433,087 times
A very thoughtful tip Pam!

All we need to do now is go eat out...

Haven't done that in a while.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:22 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,794,120 times
I'll make a reservation at the local pizza joint about an hour before I'm hungry because that's how long it takes to get a pizza delivered. Then I'll don my finest pair of flannel PJ's, pour myself a glass of Pinot Noir. Pop in a funny DVD in the home theater and enjoy a cozy night on the couch with DH, Howie our dog and Amber our cat. Tomorrow is day 6 at work and I can't have my decadent night in until Tuesday. I can't wait. Oh and maybe a brownie for desert.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:52 AM

36,420 posts, read 16,028,365 times
There is absolutely no place around here that takes reservations!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics