U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 04:30 PM

7,574 posts, read 7,184,886 times

Advertisements

Okay boys, I mean men......... When does Miss become Mam? Is it a look? An age thing? Having kids? Is it different in the north and south? Please help me out here..........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2007, 04:35 PM

8,002 posts, read 13,263,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannie216 View Post
Okay boys, I mean men......... When does Miss become Mam? Is it a look? An age thing? Having kids? Is it different in the north and south? Please help me out here..........
ohhh, doesn't that suck, I guess when you start looking older!! Or when you go from being "that girl" to "that Lady" arrrgghhh!!

thank god for the phrase "milf"

Old 09-18-2007, 04:41 PM

13,743 posts, read 5,485,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb68 View Post
thank god for the phrase "milf"
ROFLMAO...OH MY...LOL...

I was just "YES SIR'd" the other day and I almost got angry b/c I'm not that old..I guess to an 18 yr old I am..but sheesh...talk about a wake-up call...

The Miss and Maam thing is usually just southern etiquette and you can be "maam'd" even if you're not that old...

Old 09-18-2007, 04:42 PM

3,162 posts, read 5,814,738 times
It is a signal that your maturity is evident, not your age. I know many women who became Mam in their 30's while others are still Miss well into their 40's. Mam is a term of respect while Miss is often used in more of a patronizing demeanor.

Wait until you become the "Nice Older Lady". My mom just informed me that she has become known by that term since my dad passed last year. All the younger families on the block feel they have to look out for her now where before they asked her for help.

Old 09-18-2007, 04:43 PM

8,192 posts, read 19,794,530 times
Great question! Last week I bought cigarettes and wine at the grocery store. The "are you old enough to sell" girl who rang up the cigarettes did not ask for ID, but the genuine antique who rang up the wine with the rest of my groceries did. I guess it might have more to do with the age of the other person than it does with my 42 year old self.

Old 09-18-2007, 04:56 PM

Well I guess for me its a small reminder that beauty and youth are not forever.......

Old 09-18-2007, 05:13 PM

8,002 posts, read 13,263,511 times
Quote:
Well I guess for me its a small reminder that beauty and youth are not forever.......
youth is not forever hon!!

Old 09-18-2007, 05:31 PM

12,396 posts, read 15,039,888 times
The first time I was called mam I almost cried I was only in my early forties. Now I get a little more than insulted when the young ones call me "sweetie", "baby". "dahlin". Heres the real tear jerker... "Granny". Of course these endearments(?) are always thrown at me in a very loud baby talking voice..Ah, well, sometimes if I walk with slow shuffle, stop, and place a hand on my chest, someone will offer me their place in line at the grocery

Old 09-18-2007, 05:34 PM

4,609 posts, read 5,260,041 times
Quote:
Ma'am, if ya'll are still planning to live down here in NC, then get used to being called ma'am

Actually it is a sign of respect;
well that's what I keep on telling myself anyway,

I don't think I would worry about being called ma'am too much, it's when they start saying madame to you!

<in my british accent> anything else madame, very good madame, tea madame?

Old 09-18-2007, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumngal View Post
Ma'am, if ya'll are still planning to live down here in NC, then get used to being called ma'am

Actually it is a sign of respect;
well that's what I keep on telling myself anyway,
yes my friend, and when that happens, I will embrace it..........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics