Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 01:15 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times

Advertisements

I just had my annual termite inspection done today, and really, I am absolutely certain the guy who did the inspection didn't even check around the house. Each year in June I receive a bill for $85 to have the inspection done, must be paid by June 30, and then the company doesn't get around to doing the inspection until September.

But if I ever want to sell the house, I have to have documentation from a pest control business that the house is termite-free, and to get an initial inspection without an ongoing contract is literally hundreds of dollars.

So, my question, are these termite inspections worthwhile, or not?

DC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2007, 01:24 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,603,652 times
I don't know. I have never bought them. I guess if your area has had a history of infestations, or you have conditions that are especially inviting to the pests it is money well spent for piece of mind and to prevent costly repairs as a result of a long term infestation.

I have always been in homes that received a treatment as part of the purchase negotiation and carry a long term warranty against infestation, but no annual inspections have ever been required or offered.

Old 09-19-2007, 01:34 PM

10,178 posts, read 11,163,499 times
Well the house I previously owned had a contract with a termite company.

Before we sold the house ( I carried over the contract for 2 years) we were informed that there were no termites, ever.

Old 09-20-2007, 07:15 AM

2,071 posts, read 12,016,016 times
If you have termites, you will know. Then get it treated. When you sell your home, you will have to have it inspected. I don't think documents saying your house is termite free in 2007 if you plan to sell the house in 2010. Alot could happen in 3 years.

Old 10-14-2007, 01:30 PM

9 posts, read 57,043 times
Red face Selling our house and termites

Hi, I am new to this forum and so glad I found it.... so thanks in advance for any help. My husband and I currently live in Tulsa, OK and will sell our house at the beginning of the year b/c we will be moving to Texas in June 08. We discovered termites in our house Spring 2007 and since then had our house inspected and then had the Sentricon system installed in our house. As of 1 month ago, they still discovered termites in one area (right around our flower bed). My question is...when we put our house up on the market, what steps will need to be taken to ensure that we will sell our house? We are in a great location/good school district/ on a cul-de-sac and in a neighborhood where houses typically sell from 100k - 130k. We will pay the annual fee for termite inspection throughout the year for the buyer. Should we have our house inspected to see if there is any wood damage before we try to sell it? Thanks for any advice.

Old 10-15-2007, 09:50 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,267,022 times
I worked as secretary/receptionist for a pest control company for several years. Best I recall, if you had a year to-year contract and inspection, andyou had a reoccurence of termites, it was kinda like insurance. They would treat without further charge if you had kept up your contract. If your area was prone to termites, I think having this kind of contract with a reputable company is a smart idea. I don't necessarily think you need to check annually for them though. I personally do have a check about every 2 or 3 years or so. Our area is known to be termite-prone.

Old 10-18-2007, 07:27 AM

1,332 posts, read 1,989,631 times
If it is a reputable company or individual, you can rely on their observance.

Often, it does not take them too long to see a problem - They are experienced.

I have had two occasions in which termites were present, and I did not have a clue that they were there...But, when the inspectors showed me the evidence, they were right.

The first occasion was at an elderly friend's house - A fellow that I was dropping by to check on a regular basis, to make sure everything was OK with him...There was nothing to me or him that would indicate termites, until we had a carpenter come in to do some minor work. And, he alerted us to a potential problem...Confirmed by the inspector.

Then recently in my own house, one day we saw something flying around - Had no idea it would be termites, but called a reputable inspector to be on the safe side...And, he was able to treat the house before real problems arose...

The world is not out to rip us all off...There are many reputable, and necessary services that we should use, especially when we are not familiar with the matter...(Like my plumbing disasters, that I will admit to, but really do not want to talk about.....It looks simple enough!)....

Old 10-18-2007, 09:08 AM

1,502 posts, read 7,378,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooks7100 View Post
Hi, I am new to this forum and so glad I found it.... so thanks in advance for any help. My husband and I currently live in Tulsa, OK and will sell our house at the beginning of the year b/c we will be moving to Texas in June 08. We discovered termites in our house Spring 2007 and since then had our house inspected and then had the Sentricon system installed in our house. As of 1 month ago, they still discovered termites in one area (right around our flower bed). My question is...when we put our house up on the market, what steps will need to be taken to ensure that we will sell our house? We are in a great location/good school district/ on a cul-de-sac and in a neighborhood where houses typically sell from 100k - 130k. We will pay the annual fee for termite inspection throughout the year for the buyer. Should we have our house inspected to see if there is any wood damage before we try to sell it? Thanks for any advice.
In our old house that we sold a few months ago, I was having floors installed and found out that we had termites and we also got the sentricon system, the first year it was installed every station around the house was hit, but never had another hit in the next 2 years. We also had baits inside the home were they were noticed. When we had our house on the market we had 1 guy put in a very, very low offer and wanted us to pay for an engineer to make sure the house was structurally sound, we refused and come to find out that he couldn't afford the house anyway but thats another story. Anyway, with the other offers that we had, it was no big deal, the people who purchased our house wasn't even phased by them because they knew that the area was known for them. Just make sure you disclose the fact that you had them and what was the solution.

As far as having an inspection every year, I would say yes as long as with that annual contract that if you ever get termites that they will treat for free. I know that these do exist and if we had done that it could of saved us a couple thousand of dollars. Let alone I paid $285.00 a year to keep the Sentricon in place.

Old 10-18-2007, 09:10 AM

Location: Georgia.I rather be in GODS country Tennessee.Everybody knows Gods a VOLS fan.
597 posts, read 2,081,039 times
I will do my own treatment from now on.I know there are reputable companies out there but my last one was a joke.They came out one day to treat the yard and spray around the house.When the guy gets here,he knocked on the door but I didn't answer.I wanted to see what I was paying for.To my surprise,this guy went back out to his truck,got his little signs and door tag and put them out.He started to leave and that's when I opened the door.I took the tag off the door and it said your yard and house has been treated.The guy was shocked to realize that someone was home.I called the company and told them what happened and they apologized and said they would send someone else out.I told them to forget it and I wasn't paying my bill.How do I know they ever did anything when they came out.

Ask around before choosing a company.

Old 10-18-2007, 09:12 AM

1,502 posts, read 7,378,315 times
Oh I also should mention about "around the flower garden" Our pest guy also told me that when you get mulch you have to be careful because they can be in it. I also stopped using mulch for a couple of years. When we got termites I did tell my neighbors on both sides and the one neighbor could care or less but the other did some searching and noticed it in his mulch and also had the Sentricon placed by another pest company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House