Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 11:41 PM

3,455 posts, read 2,787,312 times

Advertisements

Good morning all. Lets get started.

Today's Question: What names did you call your Grandparents by?

Question #2: What's your go to snack?

Question #3: If you're stuck in a hole, would you rather be there with non-venomous snakes or spiders?

Question #4: Lets assume we are all still working class people. If I had to replace you, about how many days/weeks of training would a normal person need?

Question #5: Have you lived your life (so far) mostly in the country or city?

Today is:
Frog Jumping Day
Mothers Day
Rogation Sunday
Rural Life Sunday
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2012, 11:45 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
Happy Sunday, Y'all Today, I get to visit Hollyweird and see a Cirque de Soleil show

Today's Question: What names did you call your Grandparents by? They died when I was a young child and lived in another state so I never got a chance to meet them.

Question #2: What's your go to snack? Chex Party Mix (original flavor)

Question #3: If you're stuck in a hole, would you rather be there with non-venomous snakes or spiders?

Question #4: Lets assume we are all still working class people. If I had to replace you, about how many days/weeks of training would a normal person need? You would likely need a few weeks of training PLUS a masters degree in order to do my job.

Question #5: Have you lived your life (so far) mostly in the country or city? City only ... Never been to the country except for a brief visit to a remote city in Louisiana.

Last edited by Chatteress; 05-13-2012 at 12:43 AM..

Old 05-13-2012, 12:05 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,325,155 times
Happy Mother's Day to all of you.

Grandma and Grandpa.

Question #2: What's your go to snack? Cheetoes

Non-venomous snakes.

Question #4: Lets assume we are all still working class people. If I had to replace you, about how many days/weeks of training would a normal person need? 3 months

Question #5: Have you lived your life (so far) mostly in the country or city? City

Today is:
Frog Jumping Day
Mothers Day
Rogation Sunday
Rural Life Sunday

Old 05-13-2012, 12:27 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,252,625 times
[quote=GarlicGuy;24281052]Good morning all. Lets get started.

Grandma and Grandpa

Those crispy little rye crackers in snack mixes.

non-venomous snakes. They seem more manageable.

Question #4: Lets assume we are all still working class people. If I had to replace you, about how many days/weeks of training would a normal person need?
At home? about 63 years. I can't even GUESS regarding work! Which part of my job? Everything? I still don't know!

City. Town.

Today is:
Frog Jumping Day
Mothers Day
Rogation Sunday What's that? Oh. Had to look it up.
Rogation Day Processions trace their roots to the church of Fifth-Century France when special prayers were offered just before the Feast of the Ascension because of earthquake and poor harvests. The early Roman church celebrated Rogation Days with a Christian procession around the fields on the Feast of St. Mark (April 25) to suppress the ancient pagan roman celebrations honoring the god "Mildew" and the goddess "Rust".
Wow, that Minnesota site Rogation Day Liturgy is HARD to read, with its turquoise background!

Rural Life Sunday

Old 05-13-2012, 12:27 AM

8,394 posts, read 3,488,144 times
Today's Question: What names did you call your Grandparents by? I had a Country Granny and Country Grandad (because they lived in the country) and a Pink Granny (because she used quite a bit of rouge and thus had pink cheeks).

Question #2: What's your go to snack? Chocolate!

Question #3: If you're stuck in a hole, would you rather be there with non-venomous snakes or spiders? I'd be rather claustrophobic in that hole even if there was nothing in there with me... but I'd probably take the snakes in preference to the spiders.

Question #4: Lets assume we are all still working class people. If I had to replace you, about how many days/weeks of training would a normal person need? You'd need a background in advertising and marketing, and a good ten years' experience on the job.

Question #5: Have you lived your life (so far) mostly in the country or city? The city. I grew up in a far suburb of London (bordering the country), then lived in London and Auckland before settling in Sydney for some 40 years. I've been living in the country for the last 6 years.

Thanks GG.

Happy Mothers' Day to all mothers, and Happy Sunday to everyone else!

Last edited by Kobber; 05-13-2012 at 12:37 AM..

Old 05-13-2012, 12:31 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
Grandma and grandad!

Nothing that's a regular.

Spiders

Many years!

City!

Today is:
Frog Jumping Day
Mothers Day
Rogation Sunday
Rural Life Sunday
Thanks GG! Slo-Poke beat me.

Old 05-13-2012, 12:32 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times

I only had one, the other 3 died before I was born - grandma.

well, it's ice cream and if not that, peanuts.

I used to hold the snakes while the teacher cleaned the tanks so as long as I know they're safe and not constrictors, I'll go with snakes.

If it's the last job I had, about a week. If it's the one before that, about 3 weeks.

suburbia. 10 years in 2 cities. 50 years in suburbia in 3 different states.

Old 05-13-2012, 01:42 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,004,316 times
I only saw a couple of my Grandparents a couple of times when I was little. I did not have any special name for them.

Question #2:
What's your go to snack?
I wonder how many of you think I am going to say "stinky cheese"? Well, if you did then pat yourself on the back for being correct.

Question #3:
If you're stuck in a hole, would you rather be there with non-venomous snakes or spiders?
How drunk am I while being stuck in the hole. Actually, it does not matter how drunk I was as I still would not be a happy camper either way. Let's just say one of the reasons I live in Alaska is there are no snakes.

Question #4:
Lets assume we are all still working class people. If I had to replace you, about how many days/weeks of training would a normal person need?
Hmmmmmm...That is a very good question. Seeing how people in my line of work are anything but "normal", I have no idea how long it would take to train a "normal" person. Now if the question asked how long it would take to train a person who is somewhat warped and twisted, then I could come up with an answer.

There is no set answer as to how long it takes to train someone to do my job. You will have to spend 2 weeks in orientation. You will spend at least another 2 weeks working with someone else. This will get you the point where you can work basic passenger flights. After working passenger flights for a few months you then need to start working cargo flights Tack on another month for learning the basics of working cargo flights After that it all depends on how motivated you are and what your ability to recognise and solve problems is. You could spend several months in class learning the quriks of the various counties we fly to and still not be prepared for what you will encounter. Most of what we know was learned out in the field on our own. FYI...If you are even remotely lacking in common sense and or when something just does not seem right you are not willing to stand your ground no matter how much someone badgers you to accept it, do not apply for my job.

Question #5:
Have you lived your life (so far) mostly in the country or city?
I would have to say the city. Some of the cities were quite small. One only had a population of about 125 in a 25 mile radius. Another had less than a 1,000. And that was only if you counted the Air Force base and the town 16 miles away.

Old 05-13-2012, 01:54 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,595,230 times
Today's Question: What names did you call your Grandparents by? Something I made up out of the clear blue...

Question #2: What's your go to snack? Peaaches

Question #4: Lets assume we are all still working class people. If I had to replace you, about how many days/weeks of training would a normal person need? 3 days a week for about 4 years. Applied Calculus through fStops. In the darkroom and digital dark room, in the woods hiking, wading with gators, using a lot of math quick in your head, all the while practicing social politeness while you really want to unload and say lady or sir you are one customer who is definitely wrong all the time.

Question #5: Have you lived your life (so far) mostly in the country or city? Country and small towns of 10k or less.

Today is:
Frog Jumping Day
Mothers Day
Rogation Sunday
Rural Life Sunday

Last edited by Nomadicus; 05-13-2012 at 02:06 AM..

Old 05-13-2012, 02:50 AM

8,814 posts, read 21,280,851 times
Today's Question Sunday - 13 May 2012

Good morning all. Lets get started. Thanks , Garlic Guy.

I never had a grandfather, but I called my mother's mom "Nana" & my more distant father's mother "Grandma".

Do you mean "traveling" snack or restaurant snack? Probably just a few granola bars if I am going somewhere on a trip like a plane. In restaurants, I usually get a huge chopped salad w/ the works.

I would use my cell phone & get out of there as soon as I could. YUK!!!

well, I was a Special Ed teacher so I would say that the replacement would need extensive training.

Right now I am living in a semi-rural area, but I am planning to move to Boston to live near my son. Most of my life was spent on Long Island which when we first moved there was very rural, but now is mostly suburbs.

Today is:
Frog Jumping Day cute....
Mothers Day Happy Mother's Day, everyone!!! (even you guys)
Rogation Sunday
Rural Life Sunday

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics