U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 09:14 AM

33,954 posts, read 6,509,790 times
I don't mind 6-legged insects too much, but bugs with 8 or more legs ----- eeeeeeeew! I can appreciate spiders' beauty, but not inside my house. And centipedes are my worst nemesis. My house is very old, and the unfinished basement is always damp. This is the time of year when the centipedes creep up from the basement into my bedroom.

Outdoors, mosquitoes are pretty bad in my area most summers. I've only seen a few so far this year, but they're coming, I'm sure. They're usually pretty bad from late June through August, unless we have an unseasonal dry spell.

Good peeve, Jezer!

By the way - that's a beautiful garden photo, Jezer!

Old 05-23-2012, 10:56 AM

5,689 posts, read 1,802,779 times
I love spiders as well and they are beneficial. (Except in your bed.) The mosquitoes scare the crap out of me with their vector borne illnesses. I've seen West Nile in action and it's ugly. I loved cicada season. We've seen it twice here in our house. I had the roosters for the first 17 yr. cycle. They got really fat! I have some really happy memories of the boys across the street with the last cycle of cicadas right before they moved and broke my heart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 11:47 AM

19,070 posts, read 21,775,300 times
Thumbs up Removing bugs from the front of a car - is easy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambling Iris View Post
In the southern U.S we have love bug season in the spring and fall. Harmless to humans (they don't bite) but murder on the front of the car. Ruins the paint. They swarm during mating season, hence the name.
The easiest way I have ever found to get bugs off the front of a car:

Spray it on, wait 15-20 seconds wipe it off.

Bug Melt

BUG MELT - YouTube

Old 05-23-2012, 11:52 AM

19,070 posts, read 21,775,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post
I don't mind 6-legged insects too much, but bugs with 8 or more legs ----- eeeeeeeew! I can appreciate spiders' beauty, but not inside my house. And centipedes are my worst nemesis. My house is very old, and the unfinished basement is always damp. This is the time of year when the centipedes creep up from the basement into my bedroom.

Outdoors, mosquitoes are pretty bad in my area most summers. I've only seen a few so far this year, but they're coming, I'm sure. They're usually pretty bad from late June through August, unless we have an unseasonal dry spell.

Good peeve, Jezer!

By the way - that's a beautiful garden photo, Jezer!

You have centipedes partly because you don't allow the 8 legged ones to remain. Those spiders you kill off are (usually) harmless and eat a lot of the bugs you don't want around. In our house they are allowed to stay unless they are large enough to carry away strawberries. Those are my strawberries! We do clear their webs if they are visible. After a while they learn to hide them from sight.

Old 05-23-2012, 12:26 PM

4,487 posts, read 2,349,429 times
Here in Colorado it's Miller time and i'm not talking beer!

Every year we have millions of Miller moths invade us for a couple of weeks or so. It's so bad that it causes car accidents.

I walked into my foyer the other night and it looked like I had living curtains on the outside of my windows, they were so thick that the light from the porch was blocked.

Don't even get me started on the Deer flies

Old 05-23-2012, 12:34 PM

10,357 posts, read 6,230,230 times
Blimey- what have I touched upon?

I concur with Baldrick about flying ants. A swarm once erupted in our living room by some French windows!

A vacumn cleaner came to our rescue!

Here we are on the banks of a river and about now we are due for the annual Mayfly swarms.

(Oh, I'm back home by the way!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics