Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 07:20 AM

44,338 posts, read 20,036,498 times

Advertisements

Today’s Question(s):

Have you ever ridden in a:
Train? Yep.
Helicopter? Yep.
Dogsled? Nope.
Hot air balloon? Not yet.
Horse and buggy? Yep.
Rickshaw? Nope.
Segway? Nope.
Submarine? Been in one, but it was on display and not moving, so I've never ridden in one.
Space shuttle? Not yet.
Which of those means of transportation would you like to try at least once in your lifetime? Dogsled.
Which of those means of transportation do you most hope never to try? Submarine. I'm a little claustrophobic.

Extra Credit Question:
Have you ever had a job that paid minimum wage? Yep.
If so, what job was it? When I was in college I worked two minimum-wage jobs. Office worker at one; restaurant hostess at the other.
How long did you keep it before moving on to something else? Hostess job lasted one school year; the other job four years, although it was minimum wage only the first semester.

Bonus Question:
What do you call that thing on wheels that you roll through the grocery store and fill up with your selections? Grocery cart.
What part of the country (or world, for those who hail from other than the United States) did you grow up in? NW Indiana; less than an hour's drive from Chicago.

Just for Fun:
In honor of Salute to Silliness Day, what is your favorite way to be silly? Making silly puns.

Today’s Word:
Flagitious \flə jĭsh əs\ adjective
Extremely wicked or criminal
I am thankful to not have any flagitious people in my life.

Today Is:
Cheese Day Gotta have it! I love cheese.
Old Maids Day Um....... technically speaking, that would be moi.
Apple Computer Day No Apple here.
Shopping Cart Birthday Shopping carts are fun!
National Frozen Yogurt Day Yum yum!
Audacity to Hope Day I'm always hopeful.
Doo-Dah Day (Salute to Silliness) Zippity doo-dah, zippity ay! My, oh my, what a wonderful day!
National Barefoot Day I rarely go barefoot.

Have a super-duper-zippity-doo-day day, everybody!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-04-2012 at 07:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 07:30 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,198,536 times
Today’s Question(s):

Train? x
Helicopter? x
Dogsled?
Hot air balloon?
Horse and buggy?
Rickshaw? x
Segway?
Submarine? x
Space shuttle?

Which of those means of transportation would you like to try at least once in your lifetime? Space shuttle. Would be awesome.

Which of those means of transportation do you most hope never to try? Hot air baloon.

Extra Credit Question:

Have you ever had a job that paid minimum wage? I used to babysit for 50 cents an hours.

Bonus Question:

What do you call that thing on wheels that you roll through the grocery store and fill up with your selections? Cart

What part of the country (or world, for those who hail from other than the United States) did you grow up in? First half in Texas; second half in Aruba.

Just for Fun:

In honor of Salute to Silliness Day, what is your favorite way to be silly?
I like to get silly every now and then on wine.

Today in History:
1783 – First public demonstration of a hot-air balloon, by the Montgolfier brothers
1876 – A train called the Transcontinental Express arrives in San Francisco, California, via the First Transcontinental Railway, only 83 hours and 39 minutes after leaving New York City
1896 – Henry Ford completes the Ford Quadricycle, his first gasoline-powered automobile, and gives it a successful test run
1912 – Massachusetts becomes the first state in the United States to establish a minimum wage
1919 – The U.S. Congress approves the 19th Amendment to the United States Constitution, granting suffrage to women, and sends it to the U.S. states for ratification Few women realize what those early suffragettes went through to get the vote for women.....it wasn't pretty.
1940 – The Dunkirk evacuation ends, with British forces evacuating some 300,000 troops from Dunkirk in France
1957 – Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. delivers his Power of Nonviolence speech at the University of California, Berkeley
1975 – Governor Jerry Brown of California signs the California Agricultural Labor Relations Act into law, the first law in the United States that gives farmworkers collective bargaining rights
2004 – Marvin Heemeyer goes on a rampage in a bulletproofed bulldozer and destroys 13 buildings, including the town hall, in Granby, Colorado

Today’s Word:

Today Is:
Cheese Day
Old Maids Day When is Old Biddy Day? We need a day, too.
Apple Computer Day
Shopping Cart Birthday
National Frozen Yogurt Day
Audacity to Hope Day
Doo-Dah Day (Salute to Silliness)
National Barefoot Day

Old 06-04-2012, 07:32 AM

1,906 posts, read 1,614,826 times
Mornin' all!

Today’s Question(s):

Train? Communter train, to and from Chicago.
Helicopter?
Dogsled?
Hot air balloon?
Horse and buggy?
Rickshaw?
Segway?
Submarine?
Space shuttle?

Which of those means of transportation would you like to try at least once in your lifetime?
Most likely the Segway.

Which of those means of transportation do you most hope never to try?
I wouldn't do the dog sled, or horse and buggy. I'm just weird that way. And space flight would just make me waaaaaaay to sick!

Extra Credit Question:

Have you ever had a job that paid minimum wage?
Several

If so, what job was it?
The worst was waitressing, which has a separate, lower, minimum wage.

How long did you keep it before moving on to something else?
I waitressed a few times between jobs. You go where you can get work.

Bonus Question:

What do you call that thing on wheels that you roll through the grocery store and fill up with your selections?
Shopping cart, grocery cart

What part of the country (or world, for those who hail from other than the United States) did you grow up in?
Apart from the one year I spent in Indianapolis, I've lived in northwest Indiana all my life, just a commuter train's ride away from Chicago!

Just for Fun:

By quoting Monty Python movies. Or by using unusual, arcane, or archaic words, like ice box for refrigerator, or pocketbook instead of purse. I have to go shopping today. I'll try to find a way to work the word "trolley" into the errand, just because we don't use that word here.

Today in History:
1783 – First public demonstration of a hot-air balloon, by the Montgolfier brothers
1876 – A train called the Transcontinental Express arrives in San Francisco, California, via the First Transcontinental Railway, only 83 hours and 39 minutes after leaving New York City
1896 – Henry Ford completes the Ford Quadricycle, his first gasoline-powered automobile, and gives it a successful test run
1912 – Massachusetts becomes the first state in the United States to establish a minimum wage
1919 – The U.S. Congress approves the 19th Amendment to the United States Constitution, granting suffrage to women, and sends it to the U.S. states for ratification
1940 – The Dunkirk evacuation ends, with British forces evacuating some 300,000 troops from Dunkirk in France
1957 – Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. delivers his Power of Nonviolence speech at the University of California, Berkeley
1975 – Governor Jerry Brown of California signs the California Agricultural Labor Relations Act into law, the first law in the United States that gives farmworkers collective bargaining rights
2004 – Marvin Heemeyer goes on a rampage in a bulletproofed bulldozer and destroys 13 buildings, including the town hall, in Granby, Colorado

Today’s Word:

Today Is:
Cheese Day Every day is cheese day for me!
Old Maids Day
Apple Computer Day
Shopping Cart Birthday
National Frozen Yogurt Day Mmmmmm...
Audacity to Hope Day
Doo-Dah Day (Salute to Silliness) Ni! I will get my trolley and try not to do anything flatigious!
National Barefoot Day Like cheese day, that's every day around here!

Thanx for the Qs MwBW!
Have a great day everyone!

Old 06-04-2012, 07:42 AM

5,987 posts, read 11,668,100 times
Today’s Question(s):

Train? YES
Helicopter? NO
Dogsled? NO
Hot air balloon? YES
Horse and buggy? YES
Rickshaw? NO
Segway? NO
Submarine NO
Space shuttle? NO

Which of those means of transportation would you like to try at least once in your lifetime?
The space shuttle would be nice but I just saw it is now on an aircraft carrier/museum in the Hudson river.

Dogsled, unless they put wheels on it and I can ride on a Caribbean island.

Extra Credit Question:

Still do. When NHRA is at the track for the O'Reilly Nationals they pay temp workers minimum wage.

If so, what job was it?
Working in the water box. Standing between two 8000HP race cars when they do their burnouts. Then sweeping the rubber that comes off the tires and rewetting the ares for the next pair.

I only did that for 1 4 day event. My current job, for the same wage, is registering sportsman drivers, having them and their crews sign waivers. Truth is I would pay them to do either job.

Bonus Question:

What do you call that thing on wheels that you roll through the grocery store and fill up with your selections?
Grocery Cart. If you need to attach it to an electric scooter DM me.

What part of the country (or world, for those who hail from other than the United States) did you grow up in?
New Jersey

Just for Fun:

Today in History:
1919 – The U.S. Congress approves the 19th Amendment to the United States Constitution, granting suffrage to women, and sends it to the U.S. states for ratification

Today’s Word:

Today Is:
Cheese Day
Old Maids Day
Apple Computer Day
Shopping Cart Birthday
Audacity to Hope Day
National Barefoot Day[/quote]

Old 06-04-2012, 08:07 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,905,909 times
Sunny, breezy and 100 today in the NV desert.

Today’s Question(s):

Train? <---

Which of those means of transportation would you like to try at least once in your lifetime? Horse and buggy would be nice.

Which of those means of transportation do you most hope never to try? Space shuttle!

Have you ever had a job that paid minimum wage? Yes.

If so, what job was it? Blythes Department Store -- sales associate then office clerk while in high school.

How long did you keep it before moving on to something else? I came back to it between semesters in my college days. My first real job was teaching after I graduated from college.

What do you call that thing on wheels that you roll through the grocery store and fill up with your selections? Cart.

What part of the country (or world, for those who hail from other than the United States) did you grow up in? New Zealand.

In honor of Salute to Silliness Day, what is your favorite way to be silly? Playing with grandkids or an evening of cards with friends.

Happy Monday everyone!

Old 06-04-2012, 08:14 AM

54,492 posts, read 33,850,127 times
Today’s Question(s):

Train?
Helicopter? - <-------<<<
Dogsled?
Hot air balloon?
Horse and buggy? - I was on a buggy but no horse.. does that count?
Rickshaw? - IWas that invented by a guy named Rick Shaw? ...
Segway?
Submarine?
Space shuttle? - If an airline will be flying them..

Which of those means of transportation would you like to try at least once in your lifetime? - Well.. I would have chosen The Space Shuttle, but the Enterprise will be in a museum soon.. so I don't think that would work very well..

Extra Credit Question:

Have you ever had a job that paid minimum wage? - Hmm.. $0.00 per hour.. as a volunteer.. I guess that's about as minimum as a wage gets.. - Yes, I have had a minimum wage job.

If so, what job was it? - Searching for a job.. - Actually, as a paper boy when I was 14, then a Carry-Out/Bagger in a grocery store when I was 16.

How long did you keep it before moving on to something else? - A couple of years.

Bonus Question:

What do you call that thing on wheels that you roll through the grocery store and fill up with your selections? - My car... - Okay, a cart.

What part of the country (or world, for those who hail from other than the United States) did you grow up in? - I'm still growing up, I'll let you know when I'm done... - Actually, born and raised in Phoenix, Arizona.

Just for Fun:

In honor of Salute to Silliness Day, what is your favorite way to be silly? - Let me think.. Oh wait.. that's dangerous.. I have no favorite way in particular.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:19 AM

15,927 posts, read 8,134,846 times
Good Monday morning.

Today’s Question(s):

Train?
Helicopter?
Dogsled?
Hot air balloon?
Horse and buggy?
Rickshaw?
Segway?
Submarine?
Space shuttle?

Which of those means of transportation would you like to try at least once in your lifetime? None

Which of those means of transportation do you most hope never to try?With a bad back, fear of heights & claustrophobia NONE!

Extra Credit Question:

Have you ever had a job that paid minimum wage? most of them.

If so, what job was it? cafeteria line, receptionist at a vet, Fox photo maid, plant nursery....

How long did you keep it before moving on to something else? 10 days, 3 years, 5 months, 2 years.

Bonus Question:

What do you call that thing on wheels that you roll through the grocery store and fill up with your selections? grocery cart.

Just for Fun:

making faces, singing silly songs

Today Is:
Cheese Day
Old Maids Day
Apple Computer Day
Shopping Cart Birthday
Audacity to Hope Day
National Barefoot Day

Thanks for the Q's BookWorn. Have a great Monday everyone!

Old 06-04-2012, 08:21 AM

8,810 posts, read 21,266,065 times
today's questions
Thanks for the questions, Pam.

Today’s Question(s):

Train? yes
Helicopter? yes
Dogsled? no.
Hot air balloon? no.
Horse and buggy? yes.
Rickshaw? no
Segway? no
Submarine? Been in one, but it was on display in the harbor and not moving,
Space shuttle? no
Which of those means of transportation would you like to try at least once in your lifetime? Dogsled.
Which of those means of transportation do you most hope never to try? space shuttle .

s Extra Credit Question

Have you ever had a job that paid minimum wage? yes
If so, what job was it? I worked in Macy's. I think the pay was $1.25 an hour
How long did you keep it before moving on to something else? just one semester during college

What do you call that thing on wheels that you roll through the grocery store and fill up with your selections? Grocery cart.

What part of the country (or world, for those who hail from other than the United States) did you grow up in? Long Island, New York

Just for Fun:

well, I do talk to my cat all the time and we both watch Judge Judy everyday

Today’s Word:

Today Is:
Cheese Day Just bought some Tapa cheese from Trader Joe's that was delicious
Old Maids Day Does that mean the card game?

National Frozen Yogurt Day we don't have these places here. I miss them.
Have a wonderful week, OTers Day.....

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 06-04-2012, 08:25 AM

24,435 posts, read 25,963,743 times
Today’s Question(s):

Train?
Helicopter?
Dogsled?
Hot air balloon?
Horse and buggy?
Rickshaw?
Segway?
Submarine-only a tour?
Space shuttle-Been in a mockup?

Hot air balloon.

The sub.

Extra Credit Question:

Yep.

If so, what job was it?
Paperboy that was sub minimum wage and a go few it type job in a jewelry store for $1.00 per hr.

About a year.

Bonus Question:

Shopping cart.

OH until 10, So CA after that.

Just for Fun:

Not my style.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:40 AM

7,332 posts, read 2,739,792 times
Today’s Question(s):

Train? Yes
Helicopter?
Dogsled?
Hot air balloon?
Horse and buggy? Yes
Rickshaw?
Segway? Yes
Submarine?
Space shuttle?

Which of those means of transportation would you like to try at least once in your lifetime? Dogsled

Which of those means of transportation do you most hope never to try? Submarine and space shuttle

Extra Credit Question:

Have you ever had a job that paid minimum wage? Yes

If so, what job was it? Both jobs when I was in high school; one of them paid what was called "student wages"...basically slave labor!

How long did you keep it before moving on to something else? The first one (student wages job) I had for about a year, the second for about two years.

Bonus Question:

What do you call that thing on wheels that you roll through the grocery store and fill up with your selections? Basket or cart (they're interchangeable)

What part of the country (or world, for those who hail from other than the United States) did you grow up in? New Mexico (born in the central part of the state and raised in the SE part)

Just for Fun:

In honor of Salute to Silliness Day, what is your favorite way to be silly? Play and dance with the dogs..

I hope everyone has a wonderful day and you can find a little time to enjoy your life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics