Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 08:40 PM

44,312 posts, read 19,982,912 times

Advertisements

Happy hump day, kids! Scroll on down for Today's Tip.

COOL YOURSELF WITHOUT AIR CONDITIONING

Not everyone has air conditioning in their home for the beastly hot days of summer. Here are some hints on how to keep relatively cool without A/C. Some are also helpful to those with A/C who want to cut back on the utility expense.

Close your blinds. Close your blinds and curtains when the sun hits your home in the morning, to block out the sun's heat. This makes a BIG difference! Close windows and exterior doors throughout the hottest part of the day.

Open windows at night. Open select windows to allow the cooler night air to blow in throughout the evening and night. If you leave all interior doors open (including closets and kitchen cabinets!), this helps as well. [Who knew? ] If you leave them closed, they store the daytime heat and your house won't cool off as much at night. When daylight comes, close the windows and blinds again.

Use fans. Position a ceiling fan, an upstairs window fan or an attic fan to draw off the heat collected in upper rooms and push the heat outdoors. Set your portable fan so that it sucks cooler air from the floor below and blows it upward toward the ceiling.

Make a DIY air conditioner! Fill a metal bowl with ice, set it front of your fan, and adjust the fan so the air blows over the ice. OR - fill a couple of 2-litre bottles with water and freeze them. Then place them in a large bowl or pan to catch dripping water. Position your fan to blow over them. You can freeze the bottles overnight, use them during the day, refreeze and reuse.

Open vents and flues. If you have a stove fan, you can turn that on and it will draw hot air up and out of the house. Likewise, opening up your chimney flue will do the same thing and will pull cooler evening air in through your windows.

Turn off heat sources. Don't use the stove or oven. Eat cold food or use the microwave. Switch to fluorescent lights because incandescent light bulbs generate a lot of heat. Turn off your lamps and your computer when you're not using them. Your TV also gives off a lot of heat, so turn it off!

Avoid steam. Don't take a hot shower, wash dishes or cook until after dark. Also wait till evening to run your dishwasher or to do ironing.

That's enough Tips for now! Good luck keeping cool!

Source: http://www.wikihow.com/Cool-Yourself...r-Conditioning

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-12-2012 at 09:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 08:42 PM

12,114 posts, read 14,947,592 times
All good hints and I use a lot of them!

Thanks Pam!!!

Old 06-12-2012, 08:43 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,338,522 times
LOVE the frozen water bottle idea! Does this actually work??

I do use window fans blowing nice cool air into the house at night when the temperature and humidity is low enough. It makes a tremendous difference.

What I would love is a whole house fan. My parents have one, at night in the summer they turn it on and you can literally feel the air moving from the lower floors of the house up into the third floor. Unbelievable!

Old 06-12-2012, 08:54 PM

259,023 posts, read 90,393,303 times
We used to open a bathroom window, turn the shower on with cold water, and pull air through with a fan in an upstairs apartment during the hottest month of summer. Still use the strategic window flow through after dark.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:57 PM

114,841 posts, read 65,658,950 times
I live in Texas! Even A/C doesn't quite cut it here! Thanks Pam..........................................

Old 06-12-2012, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post
LOVE the frozen water bottle idea! Does this actually work??

I do use window fans blowing nice cool air into the house at night when the temperature and humidity is low enough. It makes a tremendous difference.

What I would love is a whole house fan. My parents have one, at night in the summer they turn it on and you can literally feel the air moving from the lower floors of the house up into the third floor. Unbelievable!
When I was growing up, my dad took an old furnace blower and put it in the window at one end of our second level. It was placed blowing outward, to pull hot air out of our attic bedrooms and to pull cooler air in through the open windows at the opposite end of the house. It worked very well. Dad was always good at improvising.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:17 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,338,522 times
Really, ventilation does wonders in terms of keeping a house cool. It should not be underrated.

My house can be very warm when the fans aren't going, then I turn them on and we are freezing our fannies off within a short amount of time.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:18 PM

7,487 posts, read 7,985,822 times
You forgot one of the tips to staying cool without air conditioning...

Spoiler

MOVE TO ALASKA!!!

Old 06-12-2012, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
You forgot one of the tips to staying cool without air conditioning...

Spoiler

MOVE TO ALASKA!!!
Ahahaha - Good one, Mutt!

Old 06-12-2012, 09:44 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,245,743 times
Hee-hee, Alaskan Mutt!

Here's another one. Southern iced tea!!

Doesn't mint julep sound cooling? I wonder if it is.

Had some great, cooling iced mint yogurt today! My boss bought it for me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics