Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 07:05 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,470,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeptrance View Post
Limbaugh and Glenn Beck do NOT do an intelligent job of representing the "other side." They're demagogues, they pander to an audience who wants to be told what to think, they don't analyze issues with any depth, they distort half the things they say, and they're both very immature in the way they debate and the way they talk about opposing views.

If you REALLY want to get the conservative view, you should look into some more intelligent sources. Several of the top conservative pundits on cable TV, NPR and PBS have published excellent books. It's challenging to maintain one way of seeing the world when you truly expose yourself to valid points of view that differ from yours. Rush and Glenn are NOT valid points of view, they're little boys with big microphones making lots of money saying stupid things that their audience agrees with, you can't learn ANYTHING from them. And in spite of Bill O'Reilly's constant self-praise for being so fair and balanced and the best in the business, he's just as much a demagogue. The childish Bill stormed off the set of a perfectly civil and interesting interview on NPR --- he only heard and saw what he EXPECTED to hear and see.

That's the problem with ALL of us, bias! If you don't think you're biased, then you're not even at Step One of true learning.

Conservatives on NPR and PBS Who might those be

O'Reilly is not consevative, he panders to both sides.

Old 09-24-2006, 09:25 PM

944 posts, read 3,954,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700 View Post
Conservatives on NPR and PBS Who might those be

O'Reilly is not consevative, he panders to both sides.
Your comments are a perfect example of how people only see and hear what they want to see and hear. You're clearly a dedicated right-leaning person or you wouldn't say either of those things. I'm not putting you down, by the way, this is what we ALL do! It's like how I say Bill O'Reilly is a conservative --- I don't see him as "balanced" because of my own biases.

PBS has many conservatives. Wall Street Report, McLaughlin Group, To The Contrary --- any of their shows that involve a group discussion always include a balance of conservatives and liberals and sometimes they're even led by conservatives. I've seen more George Will, Pat Buchana, and Freddy "The Beetle" Barnes on PBS than on any other TV station.

NPR is admittedly more to the left than PBS, though I consider them to be very centrist and balanced because they are to the right of many of my views in the way they choose what to report and how to report it.

One thing you and I would agree on is that NPR is elitist. That nasally east-coast intellectual upper-class affectation, it's almost like a requirement to learn that style of speaking before you can work there! Even the local Austin NPR affiliate has locals who talk that way. No trace of Texan in their voices

Actually, the entire concept of PBS and NPR is elitist. It forces working class people to pay, through their taxes, for upper class programming that they'll never watch. It robs the poor to pay for entertainment for the highest socioeconomic class. The only time it seems valid to me is when I'm in the "middle of nowhere" and the only radio I can get is NPR, then I recognize it as a unique service to people in those remote places. Other than that, they should be totally cut off from public funding.

Old 09-24-2006, 09:31 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,576,825 times
the biggest problem with North Korea is that they are a lap dog of China

Old 09-24-2006, 09:39 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,470,059 times
Quote:
Your comments are a perfect example of how people only see and hear what they want to see and hear. You're clearly a dedicated right-leaning person or you wouldn't say either of those things. I'm not putting you down, by the way, this is what we ALL do! It's like how I say Bill O'Reilly is a conservative --- I don't see him as "balanced" because of my own biases.

PBS has many conservatives. Wall Street Report, McLaughlin Group, To The Contrary --- any of their shows that involve a group discussion always include a balance of conservatives and liberals and sometimes they're even led by conservatives. I've seen more George Will, Pat Buchana, and Freddy "The Beetle" Barnes on PBS than on any other TV station.

NPR is admittedly more to the left than PBS, though I consider them to be very centrist and balanced because they are to the right of many of my views in the way they choose what to report and how to report it.

One thing you and I would agree on is that NPR is elitist. That nasally east-coast intellectual upper-class affectation, it's almost like a requirement to learn that style of speaking before you can work there! Even the local Austin NPR affiliate has locals who talk that way. No trace of Texan in their voices

Actually, the entire concept of PBS and NPR is elitist. It forces working class people to pay, through their taxes, for upper class programming that they'll never watch. It robs the poor to pay for entertainment for the highest socioeconomic class. The only time it seems valid to me is when I'm in the "middle of nowhere" and the only radio I can get is NPR, then I recognize it as a unique service to people in those remote places. Other than that, they should be totally cut off from public funding.

Ok fair enough, I've tuned into the McLaughlin Group. Yes, you are right I lean to the right

Old 09-24-2006, 09:43 PM

502 posts, read 2,295,389 times
I'm upside down and inside out.

Old 09-25-2006, 06:01 AM

246 posts, read 328,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchuckie View Post
the biggest problem with North Korea is that they are a lap dog of China
If by that you mean the kind of dog that craps on your carpet, bites the neighbors' kids and suffers from a scorching case of mange then yes, NK is China's lap dog.

Magpies

Old 09-25-2006, 07:31 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,665,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagpiesMagpiesMagpies View Post
If by that you mean the kind of dog that craps on your carpet, bites the neighbors' kids and suffers from a scorching case of mange then yes, NK is China's lap dog.

Magpies
I liked that one!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-25-2006, 08:25 AM

944 posts, read 3,954,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella View Post
I'm upside down and inside out.
Let us know if you run for political office. I'd definitely vote for you just on the basis of your "positions on the issues."

Old 09-25-2006, 10:49 AM

502 posts, read 2,295,389 times
Quote:
Let us know if you run for political office. I'd definitely vote for you just on the basis of your "positions on the issues."
I'll take you up on that!

Old 09-29-2006, 03:54 PM

421 posts, read 468,832 times
LindaBeranek, WELL THANK YOU KINDLY..i do appreciate it. I am straight forward and honest and well researched.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics