U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 06:39 AM

1,921 posts, read 3,915,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
I don't believe that women should work, hold public office, or vote.
I don't believe men and women are equal.
Well, I don't want to start fight here. That's not my intention. But, I find these two comments interesting. You have every right to believe this, naturally, and I know where you are coming from. I used to be a fundamentalist, evangelical Christian, (Southern Baptist, as a matter of fact), So, I know why you think men and women are not equal, (equal in spirit, before God, but different purposes, etc.). But, to think women should "not work, hold public office, (which has nothing to do with church leadership), or vote". I realize that this is an extension of the previous thought, however... Excuse me?! I live in this country and so do my children. I try to keep abreast of things so that I may vote as intelligently as possible, and I will not leave it to other folks to do my thinking/voting for me. As to public office, if a woman knows the issues, and has intelligent answers, and is honest, (I know that may be asking too much for any office-holder to be honest ), then I have no problem with it. And, working...my goodness, I'm surprised someone hasn't suggested something to do with tar, feathers, and a rail. LOL! Now, I do prefer, myself, that if possible, women stay home with their young children, (I believe young ones need their mama), but once those children are in school, I see nothing wrong with a lady having a job. And, there are many ladies who have no choice. I don't believe most of us would like to see things the way they were 150-200 years ago, when most women had no way to take care of themselves, if they were single, or widowed, because they had few options.

Again, please don't misunderstand. I'm not trying to start a fight,) though I believe a heated debate is fine ). I just simply believe that this line of thinking is very archaic. And, as an aside to Isabella, no, I don't think he's kidding. I've known people who think as he does. I was raised in the church, and this isn't unusual. I don't think most of them mean it to sound ugly, but when you are spoonfed this kind of thing, (as many are, especially from birth), well, you go with what you are taught. It is sometimes easier not to question authority. After all, that is something else most of us are taught, along with the rest of our belief system.

Old 09-22-2006, 07:08 AM

246 posts, read 33,023 times
Default what I don't believe

1. That God favors Americans more than anyone else
2. That people are inherently just & kind
3. That private enterprise is always more efficient than good governance
4. That young people are incapable of making intelligent choices
5. That people should ever stop questioning authority

Magpies

Old 09-22-2006, 07:59 AM

1,958 posts, read 3,483,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
I find these two comments interesting...I used to be a fundamentalist, evangelical Christian, (Southern Baptist, as a matter of fact)...I just simply believe that this line of thinking is very archaic...I was raised in the church, and this isn't unusual. I don't think most of them mean it to sound ugly, but when you are spoonfed this kind of thing, (as many are, especially from birth), well, you go with what you are taught. It is sometimes easier not to question authority. After all, that is something else most of us are taught, along with the rest of our belief system.
Celtic, I appreciate your fairness. Just so you know, I'm not a fundamentalist or a Baptist. I'm a Christian, yes. It's to bad you and others think this "line" of thinking is archaic. I was not spoonfed this nor was I taught this in a Church, Church has nothing to do with it. God teaches this and people simple disobey Him on it. It's that simple. I could care less how it sounds or if it's in step with today's thinking. It's what God thinks that matters.

Old 09-22-2006, 08:36 AM

10,010 posts, read 12,245,207 times
I dont believe men know how to run a country
I dont believe women would ***** it up
I dont believe God has any issues with women doing good for a change

I do believe GOD is up there rethinking his thoughts on women!!!

Old 09-22-2006, 09:02 AM

246 posts, read 33,023 times
Quote:
Celtic, I appreciate your fairness. Just so you know, I'm not a fundamentalist or a Baptist. I'm a Christian, yes. It's to bad you and others think this "line" of thinking is archaic. I was not spoonfed this nor was I taught this in a Church, Church has nothing to do with it. God teaches this and people simple disobey Him on it. It's that simple. I could care less how it sounds or if it's in step with today's thinking. It's what God thinks that matters.
What's odd is that so many religious people do talk a good bit about what God thinks. To propose that any speck of a human being could possibly suggest they would know what the master of time & space actually "thinks" -- or even if "he" does "think" in the way we understand -- almost smacks of blasphemy.

Magpies

Old 09-22-2006, 09:14 AM

Quote:
I wasn't trying to imply that you were a fundamentalist or a Baptist, necessarily. It's just that in my experience, many if not most folks, who think as you do, are. It's right in line with fundamentalist thinking. It is one of their tenets of beliefs. I don't mean that to be ugly. But, that is my personal experience.

As to God's teachings, two people can read the same Biblical passage and come up with two different answers, (or more, if there are more than two people ). Hence the reason why there are so many different denominations An "everyone is right; everyone is wrong" kind of thing, in my opinion.

You are certainly entitled to believe as you choose, and interpret the Bible as you see fit. And, to shout it from the rooftops, if you so desire. But, I am extremely glad that things are not as they once were.

Old 09-22-2006, 09:17 AM

Quote:
I wasn't trying to imply that you were a fundamentalist or a Baptist, necessarily. It's just that in my experience, many if not most folks, who think as you do, are. It's right in line with fundamentalist thinking. It is one of their tenets of beliefs. I don't mean that to be ugly. But, that is my personal experience.

As to God's teachings, two people can read the same Biblical passage and come up with two different answers, (or more, if there are more than two people ). Hence the reason why there are so many different denominations An "everyone is right; everyone is wrong" kind of thing, in my opinion.

You are certainly entitled to believe as you choose, and interpret the Bible as you see fit. And, to shout it from the rooftops, if you so desire. But, I am extremely glad that things are not as they once were.

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-22-2006, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregsbabe1 View Post
I dont believe men know how to run a country
I dont believe women would ***** it up
I dont believe God has any issues with women doing good for a change

I do believe GOD is up there rethinking his thoughts on women!!!
Gosh! I hope they are good thoughts!

Old 09-22-2006, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Gosh! I hope they are good thoughts!
yes they are good thoughts!!! He is rethinking that we should be seen and not heard!!!! If men were made in his image, he must wish he was a woman!!!!

Old 09-22-2006, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregsbabe1 View Post
yes they are good thoughts!!! He is rethinking that we should be seen and not heard!!!! If men were made in his image, he must wish he was a woman!!!!
Well, I always figured that He took one look at man and said, "I know I can do better than that!" Sorry, guys...just picking!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics