Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 05:59 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,597,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelcroQueen View Post
* Wish I had been thin all my life, not just now. People! If you are overweight, take care of that! Now! I cannot even describe how much more fun it is to be thin.
Mmmm yes, that's a good one. How'd ya do it? I dream of being thin and I know I would look and feel sooo much better. I weigh now what I weighed 23 years ago when I gave birth to my son! I had a weight problem since I was a teenager and it just got worse and worse over the years so any advice that you have would be greatly appreciated.

As far as other regrets......wow, so many of them! I don't dwell on them but they still linger in the back of my mind, it's hard to completely suppress them. I regret not getting a college education, getting married to TWO a-holes, (can't regret the first one too much cause my son was the product of that one but I could have made a better choice) drinking, drugging and smoking at such a young age, job choices, friend choices, opening my own business because of the financial mess it caused for me and my Mother, not getting properly diagnosed at an earlier age, and the list goes on and on. My life has been a total train wreck but all I can do is move forward from here.

I feel like I am completely starting over at 49 but I have to look at it as being grateful that I'm still alive to be able to do that. Since I can't work, I'm going to look into volunteering next week to fill the void and maybe I'll get to hear some of those stories that you all mentioned above from some of the people in my care. There's so much to learn from others but I've never taken the time to listen. It's time to spread my wings and get involved in the community and stop being so self-involved and depressed. I've always been so shy and backward but I've got to move past that to be able to have a life and not be so lonely. It's very hard when you're not a social butterfly to make new friends and to venture out into the world but I'm getting there. Let the new life begin!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 06:07 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,027,008 times
My biggest regret is trying to do thing my way....instead of God's way.
Had I listened to Him, I sure could've saved myself a whole lot of heartache and trouble.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:21 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,551,139 times
Vy ve get ault bevore ve get schmart????

Old 07-06-2012, 08:55 AM

22,634 posts, read 14,903,529 times
A couple of more "regrets" ...

A dozen years ago I was living in the town of Easton, Pennsylvania, about 60 miles up the Delaware river from Philadelphia. I was in the process of buying my Victorian house here in Philly and was just approved for a mortgage by the bank. Suddenly a small but attractive semi-detached townhouse in Easton came up for sale, and it was a "short sale" and priced seriously under the market price. I toured the house and it was an immaculate and very attractive Victorian. They were asking $40,000 for it - about half of what it is worth! I called my bank and they immediately approved to up my mortgage so that I could purchase the Easton house as well. Well ... I hesitated ... and a week later someone else snatched it up and turned around and "flipped" it in a couple of months and doubled their money; since it was already renovated and immaculate they didn't have to put a dime in it. Since the town of Easton started gentrifying and transportation to New York City improved (about 65 miles away) ... that house is probably worth anywhere from $160,000 to $180,000 today.

Actually, my biggest regret ... but I had no control of this ... was my disappointment in not ever finding "the love of my life" and being single my whole life. I am a social person and had many contacts and friends, so it's not like I wasn't out there or not trying. I fell in love in a couple of times, but the feelings were not reciprocated. A few times others were attracted to me and pursued me, but the feelings were not mutual. I confess I set very high standards, and the person of my dreams never came along. At this point I am comfortable with my life and not having attained that goal is something I accept. I have other single friends and we joke about being "always the bridesmaid, but never the bride."

Old 07-06-2012, 09:58 AM

2,162 posts, read 3,359,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raidgirl View Post
It is natural to look back and think "I wish I had done *** differently when I was younger " ...think that "Gee I wished I had treasured """ more when I was younger "

What are the regrets of growing older ?
What can younger people do differently while they are still young to avoid the regret of growing older ?
How old are you looking for here? I am 43, my biggest regret ever is spending far too many years with the wrong men, thereby not allowing myself to meet better ones. Spend too many years waiting for them to "change" and you wake up at 40...single.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:58 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,296,770 times
Just a few regrets here. I wish that I had written down my grandmother's recipes. I wish that I had been a better money manager when I was in my 20's. I really did not start managing my money until I was in my mid-30's. I had no idea about finances and have found that I am excellent at money management. No one in my family ever had any money, so I guess there really was nothing to talk about when I was growing up. I really wish that I had travelled before starting college--I really wanted to be a dancer and maybe work in Vegas--and I really wanted to go to Big Sur. I might get there one day.

Old 07-06-2012, 10:03 AM

2,162 posts, read 3,359,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
Just a few regrets here. I wish that I had written down my grandmother's recipes. I wish that I had been a better money manager when I was in my 20's. I really did not start managing my money until I was in my mid-30's. I had no idea about finances and have found that I am excellent at money management. No one in my family ever had any money, so I guess there really was nothing to talk about when I was growing up. I really wish that I had travelled before starting college--I really wanted to be a dancer and maybe work in Vegas--and I really wanted to go to Big Sur. I might get there one day.
I am making a cookbook from my mom's recipes, and mine. My poor grandma never set foot in a kitchen. Yeah...finances...that, too. I never learned the steps to take to ensure some security.

Old 07-06-2012, 10:10 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,819,082 times
Spending more time with Mom & Dad as I was getting older and off on my own. Young families don't spend enough time with their older parents and this is regretful to say the least.

Old 07-06-2012, 10:14 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,245,743 times
I have read that others have regretted that they worked al their lives and waited until retirement to travel. They cautioned to travel first. Waiting until retirement is way too risky: you may not be physically able to travel, or you may not feel free to travel because of finances. Further, they said, you may not have the energy to do all you had hoped to do.

Old 07-06-2012, 10:54 AM

18,762 posts, read 11,755,546 times
I guess there are always a few regrets in life but if you could go back and change things then wouldn't you just make another set of mistakes and have a new set of regrets? None of us come with a how to book so I guess my regret would be not learning from my mistakes or not changing an out come I wasn't happy with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics