Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 09:24 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,718,827 times

Advertisements

Do you answer your phone and quickly tell the person you cannot talk because you're busy or going out the door? Then why answer the phone!? I bring this topic up because this morning on my way to work I phoned a friend and intended to leave a voicemail. She picked up and was out of breath. "I can't talk now, I'm headed out the door," was her response. I thought it was a bit odd to even pick up the phone. Uh, hello, that's why voicemail was created!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2007, 09:28 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,878,282 times
I figure if you answer the phone you need to take the call and be courteous to the caller ~ they don’t know if they interrupted anything you might be doing. I also ask the person I call – “is this a good time to talk?” I know everyone is busy so it helps to clear the air.

Old 10-02-2007, 09:30 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_guy View Post
Do you answer your phone and quickly tell the person you cannot talk because you're busy or going out the door? Then why answer the phone!? I bring this topic up because this morning on my way to work I phoned a friend and intended to leave a voicemail. She picked up and was out of breath. "I can't talk now, I'm headed out the door," was her response. I thought it was a bit odd to even pick up the phone. Uh, hello, that's why voicemail was created!
no its no worth the life of the driver in front of me or mine.
stephen s
san diego ca

Old 10-02-2007, 09:33 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,208,767 times
Some people can not stand to let a ringing phone go unanswered. While it seems a rude thing for her to have done, I think she is one of those people. But I think it is rude! We don't take calls when we are having dinner. I agree with you- that is what voicemail is for...

I literally never answer my home phone because those who know me will call my cell. And I don't answer that when I am engaged with others unless I am waiting for a call and then I tell them that before I answer it.

A phone is for my convenience, not the convenience of the caller. It is one of the few things we can control in our lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky39 View Post
no its no worth the life of the driver in front of me or mine.

Okay, say you're not on the road and safely at a Starbucks or something. Has this ever happened to you? And yeah I do agree with AksarbeN about asking if it's a good time to talk. I do that regularly but am getting away from it because I think that if they answered the phone then it must be a good time to talk, or they wouldn't have answered...hopefully!

4,606 posts, read 7,689,070 times
If I am biz-zee and my cellphone rings, I only answer for hubby and family in case of a possible emergency.
Otherwise I find it very rude to answer and blow the caller off.

Exactly HIF some people need to answer the phone as tho it was like oxygen, gotta have it.

Old 10-02-2007, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
Some people can not stand to let a ringing phone go unanswered. While it seems a rude thing for her to have done, I think she is one of those people. But I think it is rude! We don't take calls when we are having dinner. I agree with you- that is what voicemail is for...

I literally never answer my home phone because those who know me will call my cell. And I don't answer that when I am engaged with others unless I am waiting for a call and then I tell them that before I answer it.

A phone is for my convenience, not the convenience of the caller. It is one of the few things we can control in our lives!

Great point! I have a boss who will interrupt every meeting he is in with his group to answer his cell phone...usually his wife! We are left sitting there while he goes out of the room, or he'll talk in a hushed tone right in front of us. It's very annoying and extremely rude! But I disgress and get off topic so easily!

Old 10-02-2007, 09:38 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,372,728 times
Interesting question as we had this discussion this morning. One of my employees was involved in two hit and run accidents on our I-75. It occured during a driving rain leaving my employee facing oncoming rush hour traffic. As his car was doing a 360 plus a 180 his cell phone rang and he answered it!!!!! The question we also raised was why do we feel the need to answer the phone no matter what? Are we afraid we're going to miss something - I am equally as curious why we are so compelled to answer a phone and more so today than a decade ago.

Old 10-02-2007, 09:45 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,696,569 times
I have one of those cell phones with a small screen on the exterior that displays who is calling. I usually won't answer any personal calls if I'm with a client but if it's a co-worker, I'll usually see what they need. But my phone goes off every 10 minutes and that ringtone can get VERY annoying!

Old 10-02-2007, 09:53 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,208,767 times
I love the calls from someone who says- "Your number came up on my caller ID, who is this?"

Hoosier- I recently had a boss who would do the same thing. Schedule a meeting and take personal cell phone calls, leaving us to sit around the table looking at one another. Rude, rude, rude...and poor management.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics