U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 08-08-2012, 07:38 PM

32,687 posts, read 5,337,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
^^^^ LMBO! You guys! Sounds like we'd be in perfect harmony and that bird would be gone in record time! ....
I like thighs and wings.

Roosty, do you make cranberry sauce from scratch with fresh berries? It's very easy and super delish! Now you've got me thinking about the big day - Turkey Day! I'm pretty sure I'll be having Thanksgiving Dinner at my house this year. I'll make turkey and bread stuffing from scratch and homemade cranberry sauce and sweet potatoes and veggies and homemade pumpkin and blueberry pies, maybe a pecan pie, too. But I need more people to feed - there are only 4 of us.

One time, to fill more of the chairs at my table for Thanksgiving, I contacted nearby Valparaiso University and arranged for some foreign students to join us. My extra guests that year were two girls from China and a boy from Saudia Arabia. My family is Polish and my sister's husband is German. We had our own little United Nations in my dining room! My centerpiece was a spaghetti squash with flags from each country stuck in it. It was a hoot! That was 6 years ago. What a great memory!

Fun thread, roosty!

Unread 08-08-2012, 07:45 PM

37,157 posts, read 10,239,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post
I like thighs and wings.

Roosty, do you make cranberry sauce from scratch with fresh berries? It's very easy and super delish! Now you've got me thinking about the big day - Turkey Day! I'm pretty sure I'll be having Thanksgiving Dinner at my house this year. I'll make turkey and bread stuffing from scratch and homemade cranberry sauce and sweet potatoes and veggies and homemade pumpkin and blueberry pies, maybe a pecan pie, too. But I need more people to feed - there are only 4 of us.

One time, to fill more of the chairs at my table for Thanksgiving, I contacted nearby Valparaiso University and arranged for some foreign students to join us. My extra guests that year were two girls from China and a boy from Saudia Arabia. My family is Polish and my sister's husband is German. We had our own little United Nations in my dining room! My centerpiece was a spaghetti squash with flags from each country stuck in it. It was a hoot! That was 6 years ago. What a great memory!

Fun thread, roosty!

Hmmm .... Now I gotta crash Pammy's pad this Thanksgiving after stuffing my face at Lucky Lady's pad ....
Quick reply to this message

Unread 08-08-2012, 07:47 PM

1,562 posts, read 407,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
That settles it ... I'm crashing Lucky Lady123's pad for Thanksgiving this year
That makes two of us. I swear I'm going to make that next week. I gotta PM her though and get advice on it.

If I were the main cook at Thanksgiving, I think people would need to buy their own gravestones before hand LOL. I'm not that talented at cooking, but always love learning how to make new things and they usually turn out pretty well.

Unread 08-08-2012, 08:10 PM

32,687 posts, read 5,337,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quert View Post
That makes two of us. I swear I'm going to make that next week. I gotta PM her though and get advice on it.

If I were the main cook at Thanksgiving, I think people would need to buy their own gravestones before hand LOL. I'm not that talented at cooking, but always love learning how to make new things and they usually turn out pretty well.
I'll bet you're better than you give yourself credit for, Quert! Cooking a turkey these days is pretty foolproof. Instructions are right on the bag.

Unread 08-08-2012, 08:20 PM

1,562 posts, read 407,865 times
I might try cooking one this year, I'm not sure. I'm skeptical about my cooking skills LOL.

Does the bag give instructions, or does the turkey give instructions?

"Preheat oven to 450..

Lay down on the pan and cover yourself in butter.."

Unread 08-08-2012, 09:41 PM
Status: "The mind doesn't work if it's closed!" (set 21 days ago)

18,731 posts, read 17,636,783 times
I don't care for turkey, so this Thanksgiving ( like every holiday before) I will have anything BUT turkey...
Moderated forums: Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Exercise and Fitness, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating.
Moderator list: FAQ

Unread 08-08-2012, 09:57 PM

37,157 posts, read 10,239,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I don't care for turkey, so this Thanksgiving ( like every holiday before) I will have anything BUT turkey...
Yeah ... Except for lunch meat, I'm not big on turkey either ... For me, Thanksgiving is a time to sample lots of great side dishes and if there's room ... I'll do the turkey and/or ham.

Unread 08-08-2012, 10:26 PM

3,608 posts, read 2,527,626 times
I suppose it is time for me to start working on my pathetic look so that maybe someone will take pity on me and invite me over for Thanksgiving dinner. Otherwise I will probably be stuck eating my usual Thanksgiving dinner...Alaskan Jumbo Red King Crab.

Unread 08-08-2012, 11:50 PM

11,544 posts, read 6,300,015 times
Same song, different year.

I love Thanksgiving. We spend the day of and the day after at my sister and BIL's.
Smoked turkey
Sage dressing
Apple salad
Spinach salad
Mashed potatoes
Cranberry sauce
Green bean cassarole
Hot yeast rolls
Assorted other dishes that folks bring.
Lemon dessert

Time for a nap while everyone else watches football.

Unread 08-09-2012, 12:29 AM
Status: "The mind doesn't work if it's closed!" (set 21 days ago)

18,731 posts, read 17,636,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Yeah ... Except for lunch meat, I'm not big on turkey either ... For me, Thanksgiving is a time to sample lots of great side dishes and if there's room ... I'll do the turkey and/or ham.
^^^ Yay!!! Exactly!!!
A nice Chateaubriand, rack of lamb, stuffed pork loin, wild duck, goose, or game, frutti di mare - for me this is a festive food.
A ham or turkey on every holiday? not me!
Moderated forums: Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Exercise and Fitness, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating.
Moderator list: FAQ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics