U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 09:50 AM

8,521 posts, read 13,989,923 times

Advertisements

I was talking to a gentleman I see at work and he invited me and a few people out to have drinks after work at a near by bar. I told him I didn't drink than he asked have I ever been drunk?

My reply was: Does it make a difference?

He didn't like that reply. Funny thing is I've been asked that before after telling people I don't drink.

I guess when you don't drink you're not one of the "cool kids" so asking me have I ever been drunk was a opportunity for me to gain credibility with the "cool kids"?

Who knows..........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2012, 09:59 AM

12,577 posts, read 13,311,001 times
They may be interpreting the statement as "I don't drink anymore."

Old 09-29-2012, 10:07 AM

38,873 posts, read 20,168,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
I was talking to a gentleman I see at work and he invited me and a few people out to have drinks after work at a near by bar. I told him I didn't drink than he asked have I ever been drunk?

My reply was: Does it make a difference?

He didn't like that reply. Funny thing is I've been asked that before after telling people I don't drink.

I guess when you don't drink you're not one of the "cool kids" so asking me have I ever been drunk was a opportunity for me to gain credibility with the "cool kids"?

Who knows..........
That was disrespectful thing to ask. I don't drink and I'm fortunate that folks mostly respect that. I was in a karaoke bar and no one even batted an eyelash when I ordered a Coke to drink.

Old 09-29-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
They may be interpreting the statement as "I don't drink anymore."
I'm sure.

Old 09-29-2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
That was disrespectful thing to ask. I don't drink and I'm fortunate that folks mostly respect that. I was in a karaoke bar and no one even batted an eyelash when I ordered a Coke to drink.
I guess it's maybe different for a guy...IDK.

Old 09-29-2012, 10:42 AM

15,784 posts, read 9,531,886 times
That's pretty inappropriate - even more so coming from a co-worker. There are all sorts of reasons why people don't drink and two big ones are alcoholism and religion - two areas better left alone, particularly between co-workers. Even if a non-drinker has other reasons for not drinking - they don't owe anyone an explanation and it's obnoxious to leap to the idea of being drunk based on one comment.

Old 09-29-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
That's pretty inappropriate - even more so coming from a co-worker. There are all sorts of reasons why people don't drink and two big ones are alcoholism and religion - two areas better left alone, particularly between co-workers. Even if a non-drinker has other reasons for not drinking - they don't owe anyone an explanation and it's obnoxious to leap to the idea of being drunk based on one comment.

I didn't give my reason for not drinking but it's very basic----I don't like the taste of alcohol.

Old 09-29-2012, 11:07 AM

Quote:
I didn't give my reason for not drinking but it's very basic----I don't like the taste of alcohol.
There are several reasons why I don't drink but this is my number 1 reason ... I also cannot stand the taste of alcohol and can never get more than 4 baby sips of the stuff in me. No biggie as I don't ever want to be drunk and not be aware of what's happening around me. I see no real advantages of drinking which is why I'm glad to abstain

Old 09-29-2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
There are several reasons why I don't drink but this is my number 1 reason ... I also cannot stand the taste of alcohol and can never get more than 4 baby sips of the stuff in me. No biggie as I don't ever want to be drunk and not be aware of what's happening around me. I see no real advantages of drinking which is why I'm glad to abstain
Some people love the taste and that's cool. No issues with that but yeah, drinking isn't my forte.

Old 09-29-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Some people love the taste and that's cool. No issues with that but yeah, drinking isn't my forte.
This is the attitude that your coworkers should be having ... Drinking isn't everyone's forte and frankly, I find it sad when folks cannot have fun unless they are drinking. I usually only bring that up when folks razzle me about not drinking but that's usually family members. My coworkers and friends never go there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or