Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 06:40 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,289,808 times

Advertisements

In your opinion are they convience or disturbance?

Have you noticed some peoples phones ring all day long at your work place?
I just wonder how some people survived before cell phones got so big,and what could be so important for some to have it attached to their ears half the day.

I have one but I rarely talk on it at work..What is your take on it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2006, 06:46 AM

1,962 posts, read 5,195,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystree66 View Post

I just wonder how some people survived before cell phones got so big,and what could be so important for some to have it attached to their ears half the day.

I too own one but rarely use it. I see people all the time on them, what yappers I think it has more to do with the fact that people can talk on the phone while not tied down as it was on a land line.

Its become a necessity and a novelty.

Old 10-05-2006, 06:49 AM

2,314 posts, read 2,832,039 times
It helps me in my line of work. I can answer emails look up homes on MLS (internet access) etc etc. I can multitask and not have to be at the desk or PC before I can move on to the next project. Now I can do twice as much work

Old 10-05-2006, 08:27 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,006,830 times
Like a lot of other modern conveniences, cellular telephones are about as good as the person using them.
I can't stand hearing "cell yell" when I am in line at a store, let alone in a restaurant.
I do not own one but my husband and sons do, and I understand the very real benefits of cell phones.
That doesn't mean I have to like them. ;-)

Old 10-05-2006, 09:45 AM

21 posts, read 87,052 times
For me its not how often a person uses their phone but how. Some people talk so loud you think your actually in their conversation, or especially when they have those walkie-talkie phnoes where not only do have to hear the person by you but the person their talking too.

Old 10-05-2006, 10:57 AM

2,815 posts, read 12,983,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystree66 View Post

I use my cell phone as my "home" phone. I used to not have a landline in Las Vegas because I found the phone company's charges outrageous and never used that phone. I also had cable internet, so didn't need them. I derived GREAT satisfaction giving the finger to the phone company. Unfortunately where I am now, I have to have a landline to be on the internet as I'm too far out in the country to have cable or dsl, and satellite isn't offered, though...if it were...I'd probably not take it because of privacy concerns and cost. But I'm dependent on my cell. I take it everywhere. I have a handsfree earpiece for talking while driving, but I get VERY irritated when I find myself in traffic and the car in front of me is slow or erratic and I see a cellphone against that person's ear. At work, it's simply rude to have the phone ring. I've always worked where cellphones must be on vibrate and stashed during working hours. Cellphones with cameras were banned where I worked last because of the sensitive information on computer screens.

Old 10-05-2006, 05:13 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,084,252 times
I think they are a nuisance and unnecessary. I think it is rude when people are in public places having private conversations in a loud voice, but it happens all the time. IMO if I am not home to answer the phone, then I am too busy to talk on the phone. However like momark I am tired of being ripped off by the phone company, and when we move next year we may just get cell phones and forgo the landline.

Old 10-05-2006, 06:21 PM

892 posts, read 2,371,316 times
I find mine very neccesary. I have a small child and if my car breaks down there is no way I'm walking or changing a tire on the freeways in Ca. For that reason I will not go anywhere without it. My car is not old but you just never know. I mainly use mine for ordering food to pick up while we are out or calling for directions or hours. I am not one to talk on it in public for more than 1 minute. I don't see the point. I let people know that have my cell number to call it only for for emergencies. People here talk in public more to show off than anything. Some talk loud so that people can hear their converation. and then you have the ones that talk loud just because they are dee dee dee's and they think they have to.
I also use it at home to call people that are far away because I have free long distance nationwide.

Old 10-05-2006, 08:08 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,787,508 times
As Tony The Tiger would say..."They're GRRRRRRREAT"!!!!!!!!!!

I can't IMAGINE how we got along without them!

I mean, what the hell do you do if you get stuck on the highway????!!!! -which happened to ME!!!

What about if you get lost at 2am???!!! - which happened to ME!!!

What if the people on those planes & in The Towers on 9/11 couldn't have said their final words???!!!

They're also the greatest thing since sliced bread for those of us who work odd schedules to keep in touch!!! You can talk antime, anywhere! (Even in the dang bathroom! ) This is SUCH a convenience especially when you're pressed for time! I could be running around the house getting ready, and with Blue Tooth, I can talk to my love when I otherwise wouldn't have time!

People who are loud & rude don't need a cellphone to be loud & rude!!!
And people who drive while distracted will always have something to distract them!!!

Cellphones are like guns, it's not the THINGS that suck, it's the PEOPLE!!!

Old 10-05-2006, 08:21 PM

5,297 posts, read 6,289,808 times
Quote:
Cellphones are like guns, it's not the THINGS that suck, it's the PEOPLE!!!
I agree with you there, I just notice where I work people will get non business calls from girlfiends,friends and whoever when they should be working,A few people get dozens almost non stop all day everyday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics