Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 04:34 AM

5,680 posts, read 10,335,832 times

Advertisements

Good Monday morning, all, and welcome to another week! We’re expecting an unusually warm week in south-central Wisconsin, and it looks like much of our snow will be gone by the weekend. I hope the trees and crops aren’t fooled into budding too early again this year.

But it’s still chilly now, so let’s warm up with a cup of tea and take a moment together to consider:

Today’s Question(s):

Did you read comic books when you were young?

If so, what were your favorites?

Does anyone here still have any of those old comic books from decades ago?

Extra Credit Question:

What is the first song you remember singing as a child?

When was the last time you heard that song?

Do you ever find yourself wanting to sing along when you hear a song that you recall from childhood?

Bonus Question:

Do you do your banking with:
A bank ?
A credit union?
Other?

How long have you used your current financial institution?

Have you ever “fired” a bank?

If so, what did they do to convince you to take your business elsewhere?

Just for Fun:

Orianna the Organization Fairy is stopping by to pay us a visit! What would you like Orianna to organize for you today?

Today in History:

1608 – The settlement at Jamestown, Virginia is destroyed by fire
1782 – The first American commercial bank, the Bank of North America, opens
1894 – William Kennedy Dickson receives a patent for motion picture film
1927 – The first transatlantic telephone service is established, from New York to London
1929 – The first editions of both adventure comic “Tarzan,” and “Buck Rogers,” the first science-fiction comic, appear
1954 – The first public demonstration of a machine translation system is held at the New York offices of IBM
1963 – The price of a first-class postage stamp increases from 4 cents to 5 cents
1968 – The price of a first-class postage stamp increases from 5 cents to 6 cents
1990 – The interior of the Leaning Tower of Pisa is closed to the public due to safety concerns

Today’s Word:

Douceur \dōō sûr\ noun
A tip or bribe.

Today Is:

Orthodox Christmas Day
Old Rock Day
Fruitcake Toss Day
I’m Not Going to Take It Anymore Day!
Organize Your Home Day
National Tempura Day
International Programmers’ Day
Harlem Globetrotters’ Day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 04:38 AM

8,394 posts, read 3,488,144 times
Today’s Question(s):

Did you read comic books when you were young? I had a girls' newspaper-style magazine called Bunty (in UK), which was delivered by the newsagent every Tuesday. It contained comic-style stories and other stuff that tween girls liked at the time.

Not me.

Extra Credit Question:

What is the first song you remember singing as a child? Que Sera Sera, sung by Doris Day.

Doris Day - Que Sera Sera - YouTube

Just now, when I found it on youtube

Do you ever find yourself wanting to sing along when you hear a song that you recall from childhood?

Yup, not that I hear many these days.

Bonus Question:

A bank ?
I have a couple of credit cards with a bank and an investment account.
A credit union?
I do all my day-to-day banking with a credit union, and have accounts with several others (credit unions were my main clients when I had the consulting business)
Other?

I have used all of them for at least 30 years.

Yup, a long, long time ago.

The usual - poor service and/or high fees.

Just for Fun:

Orianna the Organization Fairy is stopping by to pay us a visit! What would you like Orianna to organize for you today?
I have several phone calls to make, some catch-up emails to write to friends, and some bills to pay. It would be very helpful if Orianna would take care of these for me!

Thanks BookWorm!

Have a great start to the week.

Last edited by Kobber; 01-07-2013 at 04:52 AM..

Old 01-07-2013, 04:47 AM

27,345 posts, read 27,397,752 times
We fired B of A many years ago when I was married. We usually made deposits through the ATMs and a couple of times they lost the money, despite we had receipts showing they had been made, 2 weeks later we were getting overdraft charges for checks that didnt clear, and we went around in circles fighting with them. Finally a month later they sent us some lame letter stating they found the checks we deposited and reversed the charges. After all the transactions cleared we shut them down and moved to another bank. Ironically some people I know in 2 other states even to this day still have had similar problems with them so they too, shut them down and moved to another bank. Not saying B of A is a bad bank. but they lost the business of me and other people I know.

Have a good Monday everyone!

Old 01-07-2013, 04:50 AM

51,691 posts, read 15,694,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
Good Monday morning, all, and welcome to another week! We’re expecting an unusually warm week in south-central Wisconsin, and it looks like much of our snow will be gone by the weekend. I hope the trees and crops aren’t fooled into budding too early again this year.

But it’s still chilly now, so let’s warm up with a cup of tea and take a moment together to consider:

Today’s Question(s):

Did you read comic books when you were young? Not much..

No

Extra Credit Question:

What is the first song you remember singing as a child?"Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" and "How Much Is That Doggie In The Window".

When was the last time you heard that song? I don't remember exactly.

Sometimes

Bonus Question:

Do you do your banking with: Guess?
A bank ?
A credit union?
Other?

How long have you used your current financial institution? A LONG time.

Have you ever “fired” a bank? No

Just for Fun:

Orianna the Organization Fairy is stopping by to pay us a visit! What would you like Orianna to organize for you today? She could start by shredding..........

Today in History:

1927 – The first transatlantic telephone service is established, from New York to London
1929 – The first editions of both adventure comic “Tarzan,” and “Buck Rogers,” the first science-fiction comic, appear
1954 – The first public demonstration of a machine translation system is held at the New York offices of IBM
1963 – The price of a first-class postage stamp increases from 4 cents to 5 cents
1968 – The price of a first-class postage stamp increases from 5 cents to 6 cents That was a bargain compared to what we pay today.
1990 – The interior of the Leaning Tower of Pisa is closed to the public due to safety concerns

Today’s Word:

Douceur \dōō sûr\ noun
A tip or bribe.

Today Is:

Orthodox Christmas Day
Old Rock Day
Fruitcake Toss Day
Organize Your Home Day
National Tempura Day
Harlem Globetrotters’ Day

Have a nice day everyone.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:50 AM

4,045 posts, read 1,870,991 times
Today’s Question(s):

Some....
Archie, Veronica & Betty..... That's all I remember really.

No

Extra Credit Question:

Jesus Loves Me
I don't remember the last time....
Oh, I always do sing along.

Bonus Question:

A bank ?
A credit union?

Many, many years for both.
A long time ago.

I think it was more about rates than anything they did.

Just for Fun:

Orianna the Organization Fairy is stopping by to pay us a visit! What would you like Orianna to organize for you today? I have a long list of meetings to schedule and it's not always easy to get all the people involved to agree on dates/times, so Orianna could do this for me. Thanks!

I hope you all had a good weekend and are ready to tackle this work week! Happy day, all!

Last edited by kpinvt; 01-07-2013 at 05:05 AM..

Old 01-07-2013, 04:51 AM

11,369 posts, read 9,284,230 times
Hello everyone,

Quote:

Today’s Question(s):

N/A. I was never into comic books.

Quote:

I don't remember but since I was raised in a fairly strict religious household it was probably a Christmas song.
I'd rather forget about that time period in my life.

Quote:
A bank ?
A credit union?
Other?
A bank.

Quote:

About 10 years and no. Changing banks was my ex's idea.

Quote:
My apartment! I lost space when I moved but I will adjust.

Have a great week, everyone!

Old 01-07-2013, 05:30 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,537,395 times
Good morning all! Happy Monday to you!

Today’s Question(s):

Did you read comic books when you were young? Only two that I remember

If so, what were your favorites? Archie and Richie Rich

Does anyone here still have any of those old comic books from decades ago? I have one Archie...I think I picked it up at a yard sale.

Extra Credit Question:

What is the first song you remember singing as a child? Jesus Loves Me

When was the last time you heard that song? Yesterday

Do you ever find yourself wanting to sing along when you hear a song that you recall from childhood? I'll sing along with any song!

Bonus Question:

A bank ?
A credit union?

Other?
I have accounts in both

How long have you used your current financial institution? 25+ years

Have you ever “fired” a bank? I have!

If so, what did they do to convince you to take your business elsewhere? Charged me overdraft fees on my account even tho I proved there was more than enough $$ in the account to cover the checks.
Small claims court later....it would have been cheaper for them to admit their fault and give me my $$ back...just sayin

Just for Fun:

I have this room (the computer room) that I just can't keep straight....it the "catch all" room. PLEASE do something with it! I'm just thankful it has a door that I can close!

Have a wonderful day everyone!

Old 01-07-2013, 05:39 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,915,570 times
Good morning to all!

Today’s Question(s):

Why yes I did!

Batman, Superman, Archie, MAD, etc.

I have some of my MAD, Cracked, and similar ones from the mid-70's.

Extra Credit Question:

I have no idea.

No, not really.

Bonus Question:

A bank ?
A credit union?
Other?

Yes I have. I fired a bank that I considered to be Big, Bad, & Terrible because they set up naive people to fail and then become indebted with fees, etc. They were 'killing' my oldest financially because he thought he had money in his account and they were siphoning it for fees they imposed. Thus, his "new deposits" were not there and he was racking up more fees! I intervened and took it to their highest levels to get squared away. Then I had him close his accounts. We then moved his money to another local bank where he has done quite well ever since.

Just for Fun:

We need a push in the direction of de-cluttering. The long journey starts with the first step. Not that we should on Hoarders or anything like that!

Today Is:

Orthodox Christmas Day
Old Rock Day Aren't all rocks about the same age?
Fruitcake Toss Day Toss them right out in the trash!
Organize Your Home Day
National Tempura Day
Harlem Globetrotters’ Day Always liked these guys!

Have a great day everyone!

Old 01-07-2013, 06:10 AM

3,399 posts, read 3,090,894 times
Today’s Question(s):

Did you read comic books when you were young? Little Lulu, Archie, Casper, Green Lantern, X-men and many more....and I loved Mad Magazine too.

Does anyone here still have any of those old comic books from decades ago? I have a box of comics which were mine and my sisters -- probably about 30 in the box (I am a keeper of history stuff).

Extra Credit Question:

What is the first song you remember singing as a child? Itsy Bitsy Spider

When was the last time you heard that song? on a tv commercial just the other day....a football player gets a call from his little daugher and she wants him to sing it to her and he does.

Do you ever find yourself wanting to sing along when you hear a song that you recall from childhood? sure

Bonus Question:

A bank ? XXXX
A credit union?
Other?

How long have you used your current financial institution? One bank since the early 1970's and the other for about 15 years.

Have you ever “fired” a bank? yes

If so, what did they do to convince you to take your business elsewhere? kept making mistakes in my account.

Just for Fun:

Orianna better be spruced up today as I'm inviting her to tea and she doesn't have to work at all.....she needs a day off and we both need a spot of tea and cookies.

Today in History:

1968 – The price of a first-class postage stamp increases from 5 cents to 6 cents and it keeps on raising

Today Is:

Orthodox Christmas Day In 2101 it changes to January 8th (based on the Georgian calendar)
Old Rock Day
Fruitcake Toss Day
I’m Not Going to Take It Anymore Day! sounds good to me.
Organize Your Home Day there are a few things I need to organize but they will wait
National Tempura Day
Harlem Globetrotters’ Day One time long ago, they came to our tiny town and played the local coaches....Meadowlark Lemon was on the team. He came to our classes and talked to us too. Of course the coaches lost!

Thanks MBW. Today is the day we should all look at ourselves and see if we need to improve our health. I plan to start a diet today as I've gained some weight over the holidays. Plus, I've been slipping and eating too much sodium and too many fats. Other than that, have a good day and be safe.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:16 AM

36,420 posts, read 16,030,417 times
Today’s Question(s):

Not really.

Extra Credit Question:

I have no idea, I probably sang twinkle-twinkle.
The other day.
Sure.

Bonus Question:

A bank ?
A credit union?
Other?

About 10 years.
Yes
Run a credit check to open a checking account.

Just for Fun:

Nothing, I'd be afraid she would throw something away that I want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics