Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 12:19 AM

21,539 posts, read 8,722,464 times

Advertisements

Good morning, everyone! It’s been a dramatic weekend here in San Francisco because of a Saturday morning passenger jet crash at San Francisco International Airport. All our news stations have been covering it nonstop. This brings us to today’s question:

Today’s Question:
What was the scariest, strangest or funniest thing that has ever happened to you, or someone you know, on an airline flight?

Bonus Question:
Do you have any undeveloped talents that you could have made a living at if you’d had professional training or if the circumstances of your life had been different?

Just For Fun:
Imagine that you are the President of the United States for one day (or the head of the country where you now live). You can pass any law that you choose. What law would you like to see enacted? Your answer can be either serious or comical.

Today in History:
1456 – A retrial verdict acquits Joan of Arc of heresy 25 years after her death.
1520 – Spanish conquistadores defeat a larger Aztec army at the battle of Otumba.
1585 – The Treaty of Nemours abolishes tolerance of Protestantism in France.
1802 – The first comic book, “The Wasp,” is published.
1865 – Four conspirators in the assassination of President Abraham Lincoln are hanged.
1891 – Travelers’ checks patented.
1907 – Florenz Ziegfeld stages the first Follies on the roof of the New York Hotel in New York City.
1928 – Sliced bread is sold for the first time by the Chillicothe Baking Company, Chillicothe, Missouri.
1930 – Industrialist Henry J. Kaiser begins construction of Boulder Dam in Nevada, now known as Hoover Dam.
1944 – Largest Banzai charge of the Pacific war at the battle of Saipan.
1949 –Premiere of Jack Webb’s “Dragnet” on NBC Radio.
1961 – James R. Hoffa elected chairman of Teamsters’ Union.
1981 – Sandra Day O’Connor nominated to U.S. Supreme Court.
2005 – Islamic terrorists stage four suicide bombings of the London public transport system, resulting in 52 civilian deaths (plus those of the four bombers) and 700 injuries.

Today’s Word:
Xeriscaping \zeer-i-skey-ping\noun
An environmental design for planting or gardening that reduces or eliminates the need for outside irrigation. Example: A rock garden with cacti and other succulents.

Today Is:
National Chocolate Day
National Strawberry Sundae Day
National Macaroni Day
Tell the Truth Day

Father-Daughter Take a Walk Day
Global Forgiveness Day

Quote of the Day:
"Religion is like a pair of shoes. Find one that fits for you, but don’t make me wear your shoes." – George Carlin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 12:22 AM

44,627 posts, read 61,603,272 times
[quote=Bayarea4;30361490]Good morning, everyone! It’s been a dramatic weekend here in San Francisco because of a Saturday morning passenger jet crash at San Francisco International Airport. All our news stations have been covering it nonstop. This brings us to today’s question:
Saw that on the news, scary huh.

Today’s Question:
What was the scariest, strangest or funniest thing that has ever happened to you, or someone you know, on an airline flight? Scariest was going through a storm and the plane shaking all around.

Bonus Question:
Do you have any undeveloped talents that you could have made a living at if you’d had professional training or if the circumstances of your life had been different? Can't think of any except I can make funny noises when tightly squeezing a blow up doll..

Just For Fun:
Imagine that you are the President of the United States for one day (or the head of the country where you now live). You can pass any law that you choose. What law would you like to see enacted? Your answer can be either serious or comical. Spank your politician day.

Happy Sunday, enjoy...

Last edited by wit-nit; 07-07-2013 at 12:32 AM..

Old 07-07-2013, 12:28 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,818,808 times
Question of the Day for Sunday, July 7, 2013
Good morning, everyone! It’s been a dramatic weekend here in San Francisco because of a Saturday morning passenger jet crash at San Francisco International Airport. All our news stations have been covering it nonstop. This brings us to today’s question:

Today’s Question:
What was the scariest, strangest or funniest thing that has ever happened to you, or someone you know, on an airline flight?
I had a really bad earache as a child.
Bonus Question:
Do you have any undeveloped talents that you could have made a living at if you’d had professional training or if the circumstances of your life had been different?
Possibly...
Just For Fun:
Imagine that you are the President of the United States for one day (or the head of the country where you now live). You can pass any law that you choose. What law would you like to see enacted? Your answer can be either serious or comical.
Seriously! "What I say goes"

Today in History:
1456 – A retrial verdict acquits Joan of Arc of heresy 25 years after her death.
1520 – Spanish conquistadores defeat a larger Aztec army at the battle of Otumba.
1865 – Four conspirators in the assassination of President Abraham Lincoln are hanged.
1907 – Florenz Ziegfeld stages the first Follies on the roof of the New York Hotel in New York City.
1928 – Sliced bread is sold for the first time by the Chillicothe Baking Company, Chillicothe, Missouri.
1930 – Industrialist Henry J. Kaiser begins construction of Boulder Dam in Nevada, now known as Hoover Dam.
2005 – Islamic terrorists stage four suicide bombings of the London public transport system, resulting in 52 civilian deaths (plus those of the four bombers) and 700 injuries.

Today’s Word:
An environmental design for planting or gardening that reduces or eliminates the need for outside irrigation. Example: A rock garden with cacti and other succulents.

Today Is:
National Chocolate Day
National Macaroni Day
Tell the Truth Day
Global Forgiveness Day

Quote of the Day:
"Religion is like a pair of shoes. Find one that fits for you, but don’t make me wear your shoes." – George Carlin
Thanks B4!

Old 07-07-2013, 01:05 AM
bjh

60,079 posts, read 30,382,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Good morning, everyone! It’s been a dramatic weekend here in San Francisco because of a Saturday morning passenger jet crash at San Francisco International Airport.
Heard about that. And there was a big train derailment in Quebec.

Today’s Question:
I'm lucky. The worst thing I've experienced has been rude flight attendants.

Bonus Question:
Trapeze artist?

Just For Fun:

Keep Politics Out of the QotD Act. Contact your representatives today.

Today Is:

Tell the Truth Day
Isn't that every day?

Old 07-07-2013, 01:20 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,016,954 times
I feel so bad for those on that plane

Today’s Question:

The scariest thing was lots of turbulence during a 1 hour flight from LAX to LAS (Las Vegas). My sister actually experienced a crazy pilot who was literally doing dare-devil stuff while flying the plane and turned the plane towards the side ... That traumatized her as she never feared flying prior to this. It was from Miami to LAX.

Bonus Question:
Maybe dancing ... I have the rhythm for it but never received any training ... Not many options available for an adult to learn how to dance ....

Just For Fun:
Men/boys would be prohibited from wearing over-sized pants that allow their undies/boxer shorts to show

Old 07-07-2013, 01:38 AM

8,394 posts, read 3,487,397 times
Today’s Question:
Scariest: An aborted take off... steaming down the runway then a massive squealing of brakes and what seemed like mucho G-force. It was an airport previously unknown to me so I had no idea whether or not there was enough runway left for us to stop in time. There was. Just.

Bonus Question:
I always fancied being a detective or private eye. My new obsession with genealogy kind of fits right in!

Just For Fun:
If I was the PM of my country, I would ban the guy who currently holds that position from ever having anything further to do with politics.

Thanks Bay4.

Hope everyone has a good Sunday.

Last edited by Kobber; 07-07-2013 at 01:51 AM..

Old 07-07-2013, 03:04 AM

30,521 posts, read 16,213,477 times
Quote:

Today’s Question:
I don't know as it was funny but when I flew to HI a few yrs ago, I got stuck sitting next to a woman who kept telling me to be sure to go to this store and buy widgets; that store was good for something else. Make sure I went to a mall or something and get... Like I was flying half way around the world to shop. I would have strangled her but I knew she meant well.

Bonus Question:
we may never know.

Just For Fun:
Congressmen could not give themselves raises unless those raises were approved by their constituents.

Today in History:

Today’s Word:

Today Is:
National Chocolate Day
National Macaroni Day
Tell the Truth Day

Global Forgiveness Day

Quote of the Day:
Don't forget to change the water in your birdbath.

Have a great day, everyone.

Old 07-07-2013, 03:18 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,123,046 times
Today’s Questions:

~ I sat with 3 good looking stewardesses in the back of the plane - they reversed the seats to make a booth-like setup for us. I got lots of special attention and loved every minute of it. It was a night flight. National Airlines out of Florida.

Bonus Question:
~ Yes. I could have been a telepathic ventriloquist.

Just For Fun:
~ All food menus must have photo's of the food and the food served must match the photo's shown.
(Don't anyone get excited, the apostrophes are correct.)

Today in History: ~ Tennis pro Andy Murray wins the final match at Wimbledon.

Today’s Word:
~ When the zeros are getting away.

Today Is:
National Chocolate Day
National Macaroni Day

Quote of the Day:
"Religion is like a pair of shoes. Find one that fits for you, but don’t make me wear your shoes." – George Carlin ~ Shut up, George, you idiot. Why find a pair that fits you if you don't intend to wear them?

**** Thankybanky for the quests, Bay! A better Sunday than most to you all! ****

Old 07-07-2013, 03:26 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Today’s Question:

I have two. I vowed when I retired I would never fly again and I won't. But when I was flying for work, I was on a plane (United) that had trouble beginning when it was on the runway and the pilot announced that they had to unload fuel and then when we were in the air that we had engine trouble but not to worry about it if we saw a little smoke. Yeah, right. We sat on the runway for a couple of hours before take off while we watched a mechanical crew arrive. Every time we hit turbulence on that flight we all thought we were going to die. And then they did the most assinine thing ever - they handed out little lead pencils, a bubble sheet to color in the circles and a customer satisfaction survey to all of us. I'm not even going to tell you what I wrote across mine. That was the first and only time I was ever surveyed on a flight.

Then one time I was on another flight (Southwest - I hate that airline the most) from Kansas City that made an emergency stop in Oklahoma due to "bad weather." As if stopping in Oklahoma and sitting on the runway for a spell when there is "bad weather" is reassuring. But yes, that's what they told us. So, we eventually get to Houston where I had to change planes and in the airport (as we are walking in to the terminal) there is an announcement on the loudspeaker that there has been a change. Passengers will not be boarding flight blah, blah, blah (the flight number of the plane I had just come off of) because of engine trouble and they were taking the plane out of service. They couldn't just announce the change? They had some uncontrollable urge to tell people why? Did they think those of us getting off that plane weren't listening? Jeez Louise.

Bonus Question:

I think I could have been a Dave Barry type of writer with an Andy Rooney bent.

Just For Fun:

Only one?

All potential high school graduates have to pass the same type test taken by people who apply for citizenship or they will be left back until they do pass it.

Term limits for all members of the House and Senate not to exceed 6 years.

If you hide lima beans in any kind of food you manufacture or serve, mandatory prison time. That goes especially for you diabolical soup makers who think you are so clever using the generic "vegetable soup" in the title while you liberally squirrel lima beans into your concoction. Me, your President, and some 6 year olds will make up the lima bean trial juries.

If God wanted people to eat beets, he wouldn't have made them magenta. Beets are obviously the cause of cancer, baldness, autism, rudeness, low T, flatulence and wrinkles and will be outlawed. Extra guards (and beet detectors) will be placed on the Mexican and Canadian borders and in our airports and harbors to make sure no beets get into the country illegally.

As your President, I hereby declare, The War On Beets and Lima Beans has begun.

Last edited by LauraC; 07-07-2013 at 03:42 AM..

Old 07-07-2013, 03:48 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,870,119 times
Quote:
Today’s Question:
What was the scariest, strangest or funniest thing that has ever happened to you, or someone you know, on an airline flight? The food

Bonus Question:
Do you have any undeveloped talents that you could have made a living at if you’d had professional training or if the circumstances of your life had been different? Juggling

Just For Fun:
Imagine that you are the President of the United States for one day (or the head of the country where you now live). You can pass any law that you choose. What law would you like to see enacted? Your answer can be either serious or comical. Only allow three laws to be passed each year - then those who pass the laws would actually have to think about what they are doing.
Answers in poiple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics