Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 02:06 AM

21,540 posts, read 8,722,464 times

Advertisements

Good morning, everyone! Today is the day that my high school is holding its annual reunion picnic. This leads us to:

Today’s Question:
Have you ever attended a high school or college reunion? What was it like for you, seeing your old classmates again?

Bonus Question:
If you could magically go back in time and change one thing about your school days, what would you change, and why?

Just For Fun:
It’s National Soft Ice Cream Day. What is your favorite flavor of ice cream? If you don’t eat ice cream, what is your favorite dessert?

Today in History:
410 – King Alarik I’s Visigoten occupies and plunders Rome
1201 – The city of Riga is founded
1587Birth of Virginia Dare, the first child born in America of English parents, in the Roanoke Island colony
1591 – Governor of Roanoke Island colony returns from England to find that everyone in the colony (including Virginia Dare) has disappeared.
1686 – Cassini reports seeing a satellite orbiting Venus
1735 – Evening Post (Boston, Mass.) begins publishing
1834 – Mt. Vesuvius erupts
1835 – Last native Americans of the Pottawatomie tribe leave Chicago
1858 – The Netherlands and Japan sign trade agreement
1909 – Mayor of Tokyo presents Washington, D.C. with 2,000 cherry trees, which President Taft decides to plant near the Potomac River
1917 – A great fire in Thessaloniki, Greece destroys 32% of the city and leaves 70,000 homeless
1920 – Nineteenth Amendment, allowing women the vote, ratified in U.S.A.
1926 – Weather map televised for the first time
1956 – Elvis Presley’s “Don’t Be Cruel/Hound Dog” reaches #1
1958Lolita, by Vladimir Nabokov, published
1979 – Canada officially opens the Dempster Highway, the only all-weather road to cross the Arctic Circle.

Today’s Word:
redound \rih-DOWND\verb
  • to have an effect
  • to become transferred or added
Example: "It is felt that the traffic from the exhibits and classes will redound to the benefit of downtown restaurants and hotels."

Today Is:
National Ice Cream Pie Day
National Soft Ice Cream Day
Bad Poetry Day
Long Tan Day, also called Vietnam Veterans’ Day (Australia)

Parsi New Year (India)
National Science Day (Thailand)

Quote of the Day:
"I come from a family where gravy is considered a beverage" – Erma Bombeck

Last edited by Bayarea4; 08-18-2013 at 03:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 02:17 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,818,808 times
Question of the Day for Sunday, August 18, 2013
Good morning, everyone! Today is the day that my high school is holding its annual reunion picnic. This leads us to:

Today’s Question:
Have you ever attended a high school or college reunion? What was it like for you, seeing your old classmates again?

Bonus Question:
If you could magically go back in time and change one thing about your school days, what would you change, and why?
I'd kick everyone's butt!
Just For Fun:
It’s National Soft Ice Cream Day. What is your favorite flavor of ice cream? If you don’t eat ice cream, what is your favorite dessert?
Chocolate!

Today in History:
1587 – Birth of Virginia Dare, the first child born in America of English parents, in the Roanoke Island colony
1591 – Governor of Roanoke Island, Virginia colony returns from England to find that everyone in the colony (including Virginia Dare) has disappeared.
1909 – Mayor of Tokyo presents Washington, D.C. with 2,000 cherry trees, which President Taft decides to plant near the Potomac River
1917 – A great fire in Thessaloniki, Greece destroys 32% of the city and leaves 70,000 homeless
1958 – Lolita, by Vladimir Nabokov, published
1979 – Canada officially opens the Dempster Highway, the only all-weather road to cross the Arctic Circle.

Today’s Word:
redound \rih-DOWND\verb
to have an effect
to become transferred or added
Example: "It is felt that the traffic from the exhibits and classes will redound to the benefit of downtown restaurants and hotels."

Today Is:
Bad Poetry Day
Parsi New Year (India)

Quote of the Day:
Thanks B4!

Old 08-18-2013, 02:40 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,579,111 times

Today’s Question:
Have you ever attended a high school or college reunion? What was it like for you, seeing your old classmates again? Several. Since the ten year mark. Some good and some awful when the drinking started.

Bonus Question:
If you could magically go back in time and change one thing about your school days, what would you change, and why? I think I would have studied upper levels of math much more to prepare for the computer age.

Just For Fun:
It’s National Soft Ice Cream Day. What is your favorite flavor of ice cream? If you don’t eat ice cream, what is your favorite dessert? And I have a Dairy Queen nearby.

Today in History:
410 – King Alarik I’s Visigoten occupies and plunders Rome And Rome fell from within.
1587Birth of Virginia Dare, the first child born in America of English parents, in the Roanoke Island colony
1591 – Governor of Roanoke Island, Virginia colony returns from England to find that everyone in the colony (including Virginia Dare) has disappeared.

Today’s Word:
redound \rih-DOWND\verb
  • to have an effect

Today Is:
Bad Poetry Day

Parsi New Year (India)

Quote of the Day:
"I come from a family where gravy is considered a beverage" – Erma Bombeck Now there is a statement I can relate to. Especially homemade pan gravy. Never fix grits without gravy. That would be as ugly as homemade sin.

Old 08-18-2013, 02:41 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,123,046 times
[font=Verdana]Have you ever attended a high school or college reunion? What was it like for you, seeing your old classmates again?

Nopey and nope.

I would eat more of the lunches and picked a different girlfriend.

Right now my favorite ice cream is Edy's no sugar added low fat butter pecan. It is really wow!

Today Is:

Yaaaayyyy! But I won't get any unless it's a buy 1 get 1 free sale.

Giant vanilla cone with heavy chocolate sprinkles, please! Yaaayyyy!

Quote of the Day:
"I come from a family where gravy is considered a beverage" – Erma Bombeck[/quote]

Erma was good.

Thank you Bay ~ HappySundayWishes to you and everyone!
I can't wait for breakfast....I think I'll have some hot dogs!

Old 08-18-2013, 02:45 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,016,954 times
Today’s Question:
Nope ... Never attended my high school reunion although I was invited and have zero desire to go. My university was too large to make any reunions meaningful for me so I won't attend those either.

Just For Fun:
Soft serve - Vanilla.
Regular ice cream: banana.
Frozen Yogurt: Vanilla, French vanilla, pistachio.

Old 08-18-2013, 02:46 AM
bjh

60,079 posts, read 30,382,128 times
Today’s Question:
Never have. I imagine it would be interesting to see how some have changed. I'd rather not get into a "who has done better" contest though. I suspect some of that goes on. I'm happy for others to do well and don't feel a need to flaunt anything myself.

Bonus Question:
I'd want to change some things that were beyond my control. Too complicated to explain.

Just For Fun:
chocolate, of course

If not ice cream, pie, cake, pudding.

Today Is:

Get 'em while they last.

Old 08-18-2013, 02:54 AM

30,521 posts, read 16,213,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post

Today’s Question:
nope. and it was really nice not seeing them again.

Bonus Question:

Just For Fun:
chocolate!!!

Today in History:

Today’s Word:
redound \rih-DOWND\verb
  • to have an effect

Today Is:
National Ice Cream Pie Dayyes, please.

National Soft Ice Cream Day gotta eat it fast!

Bad Poetry Day

Parsi New Year (India)

Quote of the Day:
I loved Erma Bombeck's humor.
Thanks, Bayarea4
have a great sundae everyone.

Old 08-18-2013, 03:52 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,534,507 times
Today’s Question:
Have you ever attended a high school or college reunion? What was it like for you, seeing your old classmates again? . No. Most likely I never will. I have seen pics online from other classes. But i don't have an interest in going back there.

Bonus Question:
If you could magically go back in time and change one thing about your school days, what would you change, and why? Hmm, good question. I don't think I would change anything. It is what it is.

Just For Fun:
It’s National Soft Ice Cream Day. What is your favorite flavor of ice cream? If you don’t eat ice cream, what is your favorite dessert?Rocky Road

Today Is:
Bad Poetry Day

Parsi New Year (India)

Quote of the Day:

Old 08-18-2013, 04:03 AM

61,694 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Good morning, everyone!

Today’s Question:
No. I don't think there is any in my country, where I went to school.

Bonus Question:
I would choose different degree from a grad school.

Just For Fun:
If not a dark chocolate, then some Italian Tutti-Frutti

Today in History:
1587 – Birth of Virginia Dare, the first child born in America of English parents, in the Roanoke Island colony
1591 – Governor of Roanoke Island colony returns from England to find that everyone in the colony (including Virginia Dare) has disappeared.
1958 – Lolita, by Vladimir Nabokov, published

Today’s Word:
redound \rih-DOWND\verb
to have an effect
to become transferred or added

Today Is:
Bad Poetry Day
Parsi New Year (India)

Quote of the Day:

Thanks, Bayarea4

Happy Sunday, everyone!

Last edited by elnina; 08-18-2013 at 04:15 AM..

Old 08-18-2013, 04:37 AM

9,722 posts, read 14,260,591 times
Today’s Question:
Have you ever attended a high school or college reunion? What was it like for you, seeing your old classmates again? We've never moved from our home town and probably 98% of my high school friends haven't either. So, we get together often. Added to that, reunions are every 5 years, and there are no surprises.
Bonus Question:
If you could magically go back in time and change one thing about your school days, what would you change, and why? Not one thing. The 50's were a fun time.
Just For Fun:
It’s National Soft Ice Cream Day. What is your favorite flavor of ice cream? If you don’t eat ice cream, what is your favorite dessert? Strawberry

2013 August - 36th anniversary of Elvis' death; Elvis Week ends in Memphis August 17, 2013

Wherever you are, enjoy every moment of the day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics