Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2013, 11:02 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,609,406 times

Advertisements

I am not sure if this is the right board to post on, but how would someone start a fund raiser (as in donate $1), and how would I know any legitimate fund raisers available versus fake ones?

I Googled, but there are too many results, and I don't how to filter them and tell which are legitimate and which aren't. This is not cancer related though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 08:09 PM

44,353 posts, read 20,056,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
I am not sure if this is the right board to post on, but how would someone start a fund raiser (as in donate $1), and how would I know any legitimate fund raisers available versus fake ones?

I Googled, but there are too many results, and I don't how to filter them and tell which are legitimate and which aren't. This is not cancer related though.
There are several good sources online to determine whether a charity is legitimate or not, and to determine how much of your donation dollar goes to the organization's mission. Here's one: Charity Navigator - America's Largest Charity Evaluator | Home For more, Google "how to tell if a charity is legit" and you'll get lots of results.

There are many ways to go about starting a charity fundraiser. If you want to start a fundraiser for a favorite charity, contact the charity and ask for suggestions. They'll have plenty.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 10-16-2013, 11:03 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,002,874 times
Feel free to send your donations to
Alaskan Mutt Charities, Inc.
We will be whatever you want us to be.

Seriously though I have very little faith in most charities. Even if they are legit a large portion seems to go to administrative costs. A perfect example is the pull tab stores in Alaska. They are as close to gambling as you can get in Alaska. The gaming permit can only be held by a non-profit business. However most non profits do not want to bother with selling the pull tabs. So they will hire a for profit business to set up stores and sell the pull tabs. These stores will tell you the money you spend goes to whichever charity is holding the gaming permit. So most people believe the 10 dollars they just lost on pull tabs goes towards the charity. What really happens is most games payout around 75 percent. So $7.50 gets paid back to the customers. That leaves $2.50 profit. Next, the for profit business is only required to give the charity 25% of the profit and can keep the rest to cover their expenses. So out of the $10 you supposedly donated to charity the charity only sees 62.5 cents.

Old 10-17-2013, 04:58 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,476,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post

These days if you have people coming to your door or calling you on your phone, you really have no idea who they are, if they are collecting for a legitimate cause, or even if it is a cause you have heard of, are they really representing it? I think I'd rather donate to situations where I know it is on the up and up, like a local high school car wash, or a quilt raffle from my child's school etc.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:28 AM

Well, I'm not talking about door to door; my mom lost her teeth, has huge gag reflex and it costs $20k to fix her teeth, so she can eat again. We checked schools, but they don't do root canals/crowns/bridges, we tried using discount dental plans, that's not working bc we are bounced between the dental plan folks and dentists; the dental plan people say we should pay this much, and when I take her to the dentist they estimate $600 over what the plan says because the play with billing codes, she doesn't qualify for welfare and those guys also don't cover major work....so she's screwed!

I was thinking that if I can get 20k people to donate $1 maybe she can have teeth again. We went to over 30 dentists and nobody is willing to help out.

Which is why I asked because I have never done anything like this, nor do I know 20k people! We don't have any other family that can help, and we're on one income and cannot afford to borrow this kind of money. I have 1k on my care credit card and the interest is 29%! We don't use it because last time we did, nothing got done and it took us 9 months to pay it back. This was a "last resort" type thing, but I don't want to get scammed.

Thanks.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:36 AM

3,399 posts, read 3,090,211 times
Why not get her some good dentures...probably at a cost of about $3,000. That's a heck of a lot cheaper than $20K. I have dentures and they work fine.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rural chick View Post
Why not get her some good dentures...probably at a cost of about $3,000. That's a heck of a lot cheaper than $20K. I have dentures and they work fine.
I wish I could, but the gag reflex is not allowing her to wear them! She had a partial and kept choking on it! Wish it was that easy!

Old 10-17-2013, 10:08 AM

20,380 posts, read 14,651,390 times
I know people who have had some success with kickstarter or indiegogo websites. I like the format and concept of peer-to-peer fundraising using online social networking. The key is to set up your fundraiser and then spread the word far and wide. The more people see it, the more money you can raise. Be careful though how you structure it...because some of these sites will force you to reach the entire goal or you will get NONE of the money raised, and some of them will let you keep whatever is raised before the deadline you set. It would be a good option if you know lots of people online compared to in person.

Good luck!

Old 10-17-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I know people who have had some success with kickstarter or indiegogo websites. I like the format and concept of peer-to-peer fundraising using online social networking. The key is to set up your fundraiser and then spread the word far and wide. The more people see it, the more money you can raise. Be careful though how you structure it...because some of these sites will force you to reach the entire goal or you will get NONE of the money raised, and some of them will let you keep whatever is raised before the deadline you set. It would be a good option if you know lots of people online compared to in person.

Good luck!
Yeah that might be a problem because we don't know that many people! I wouldn't begin to know where to advertise it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics