U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 11:00 PM

42,680 posts, read 19,569,896 times
Default Questions Of The Day - Sunday October 20th, 2013

Good morning everyone, or whatever time of the day you might be reading this, and Happy Sunday. Let's get to today's..

Questions Of The Day:

Let's talk about childhood memories

When you were growing up, what type of a child would you say you were?
- Average or different?
- Curious or indifferent?
- Well-behaved or unruly?
- Very active or laid-back?
- Mellow or rowdy?
- Very quiet or very talkative?
- Cautious or adventerous?

How many siblings did you grow up with?

What type of music did you listen to while gowing up, and what were the bands that were popular in your pre-teen and teen years?

Did your taste in music change as you got older?

Just For Fun Questions:

Did you ever get into a situation where you wished you could go back in time and do something differently to change the outcome? Tell us more if you wish.

If you were given a chance to go back in time for one day, and live among your ancestors, or other people from the past, would you do it? If yes, which place and time period would pick?

If you were given a chance to go forward into the future for one day, and live among people of future generations in your family or others, would you do it? If yes, how many years in the future would you go forward and where?

October 20th Is:
- Brandied Fruit Day
- International Chefs Day
- Get Smart About Credit Day
- Miss American Rose Day

October 20th In History:
1803 - US Senate ratifies Louisiana Purchase
1817 - 1st Mississippi "Showboat," leaves on its maiden voyage
1818 - 49th parallel forms as border between US & Canada
1820 - Spain sells part of Florida to the United States for $5 million
1864 - President Lincoln formally establishes Thanksgiving Day as a national holiday
1888 - Chicago & All America baseball teams play exhibition games in Auckland, New Zealand
1906 - Dr Lee DeForest demonstrated his electrical vacuum tube (radio tube)
1910 - 1st appearance of cork centered baseball in World Series
1918 - Germany, aimed at an armistice to end Wolrd War I, agreed to further concessions
1929 - Bayshore Highway opens in San Francisco, CA
1935 - 400,000 people demonstrate against fascism in Madrid
1944 - U.S. forces under General Douglas MacArthur return to the Philippines
1947 - Radio rights for the World Series sell for $475,000 for 3 years
1949 - Eugenie Anderson becomes the first woman U.S. ambassador to Denmark
1956 - A record high temperature of 58°F (15°C), was recorded in Esperanza Weather Station, Antarctica, near the South Pole
1960 - 1st fully mechanized post office opened in Providence, RI
1963 - France performs underground nuclear test at Ecker Algeria
1964 - Riot at a Rolling Stones concert in Paris - 150 arrested
1965 - The Beatles receive a gold record for the song "Yesterday"
1971 - The Nepal stock exchange collapses
1973 - The OPEC oil embargo begins and causes gas prices in the United States to rise dramatically
1977 - Six killed in Lynyrd Skynyrd plane crash in McComb, Mississippi including band members Ronnie Van Zant, Steve Gains, Cassie Gaines and Dean kilpatrick
1979 - John F Kennedy Library dedicated in Boston
1983 - IBM-PC DOS, Version 2.1 released
1987 - The Dow-Jones increases 102.27 pts, with 608,120,000 shares traded, a record
1992 - 1st World Series game outside of the United States is played in Toronto, Canada - Home team beats Atlanta
1997 - US accuses Microsoft of violating pact forcing IE browser on computers
2004 - Boston Red Sox come back from 0-3 to defeat the New York Yankees 4-3 to win baseball's American League championship

Everyone have a very enjoyable and a very safe Sunday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2013, 11:02 PM

98,583 posts, read 25,166,149 times
Default Questions Of The Day - Sunday October 20th, 2013
Good morning everyone, or whatever time of the day you might be reading this, and Happy Sunday. Let's get to today's..

Questions Of The Day:

- Average or different?
- Mellow or rowdy?
- Very quiet or very talkative? I've changed!
Both ...pretty cautious though.
One
What type of music did you listen to while gowing up, and what were the bands that were popular in your pre-teen and teen years?
Grew up listening to dad and others playing older music. By the teens I liked what most liked!
^^^^
Just For Fun Questions:

Did you ever get into a situation where you wished you could go back in time and do something differently to change the outcome? Tell us more if you wish.
Oh I'm sure there are some thing I'd change.
If you were given a chance to go back in time for one day, and live among your ancestors, or other people from the past, would you do it? If yes, which place and time period would pick?

If you were given a chance to go forward into the future for one day, and live among people of future generations in your family or others, would you do it? If yes, how many years in the future would you go forward and where?
Nah, I've about had my fill of the future...cell phones , computers and electronic gadgetry that was once my biggest interest.

October 20th Is:
- Brandied Fruit Day
- Miss American Rose Day

October 20th In History:
1864 - President Lincoln formally establishes Thanksgiving Day as a national holiday
1888 - Chicago & All America baseball teams play exhibition games in Auckland, New Zealand
1918 - Germany, aimed at an armistice to end Wolrd War I, agreed to further concessions
1956 - A record high temperature of 58°F (15°C), was recorded in Esperanza Weather Station, Antarctica, near the South Pole
1973 - The OPEC oil embargo begins and causes gas prices in the United States to rise dramatically
1977 - Six killed in Lynyrd Skynyrd plane crash in McComb, Mississippi including band members Ronnie Van Zant, Steve Gains, Cassie Gaines and Dean kilpatrick
1987 - The Dow-Jones increases 102.27 pts, with 608,120,000 shares traded, a record
1992 - 1st World Series game outside of the United States is played in Toronto, Canada - Home team beats Atlanta
2004 - Boston Red Sox come back from 0-3 to defeat the New York Yankees 4-3 to win baseball's American League championship

Everyone have a very enjoyable and a very safe Sunday.
Thanks Mike! Great job!

Last edited by SATX56; 10-19-2013 at 11:13 PM..

Old 10-19-2013, 11:14 PM

12,158 posts, read 7,430,759 times
Questions Of The Day:

- Average or different?
- Mellow or rowdy?
- Very quiet or talkative?

How many siblings did you grow up with? One

Pop

Yes.

Just For Fun Questions:

I don't think so.

No but I would have loved to know my maternal grandfather.

I'd rather stay in the present.

October 20th Is:
- Brandied Fruit Day
- Miss American Rose Day

October 20th In History:
1973 - The OPEC oil embargo begins and causes gas prices in the United States to rise dramatically We could only buy 5 gallons at a time.

Old 10-19-2013, 11:19 PM

23,810 posts, read 15,816,271 times

Questions Of The Day:

- Average
- Curious
- Well-behaved
- Very active
- Mellow
- Very quiet
- Cautious

How many siblings did you grow up with? 2

What type of music did you listen to while gowing up, and what were the bands that were popular in your pre-teen and teen years? Rock & Roll

Did your taste in music change as you got older? Very little
Just For Fun Questions:

Did you ever get into a situation where you wished you could go back in time and do something differently to change the outcome? Tell us more if you wish. No

If you were given a chance to go back in time for one day, and live among your ancestors, or other people from the past, would you do it? Not a chance!!!!

If you were given a chance to go forward into the future for one day, and live among people of future generations in your family or others, would you do it? No thanks, I'll take it a day at a time and live life the best I can doing what I know best.

Be the change that you wish to see in the world. ~ Gandhi

Old 10-20-2013, 12:08 AM

37,715 posts, read 11,710,016 times
Questions Of The Day:

- Average or different?
- Mellow or rowdy?

How many siblings did you grow up with? 4 ...

Pop and freestyle dance music .... Madonna, George Michael, Expose, Cover Girls, Lisa Lisa, NKOTB, Gloria Estefan, Mariah Carey and Celine Dion

Did your taste in music change as you got older? Not much except that I can tolerate rock more now thanks to contemporary Christian music but still like dance

Just For Fun Questions:

I think things happen for a reason and don't have many regrets.

If you were given a chance to go back in time for one day, and live among your ancestors, or other people from the past, would you do it? If yes, which place and time period would pick? I'd pick the late 70's when I was young and had my mother around and life was so innocent.

That would be scary but I'd be curious how things are 20-30 years from now ....

Old 10-20-2013, 12:18 AM

11,341 posts, read 1,549,053 times

Questions Of The Day:

- Average or different?
different
curious
mostly well-behaved with occasional temper tantrums
somewhat active
- Mellow or rowdy?
mellow
talkative
adventurous

It's complicated. I had one older brother. Then my father got remarried to a woman with three young children, so I was second out of five. Then my brother left home, so I became the oldest of four.
I listened to classical, big band, rock, jazz and opera. My tastes have always been quite diverse. The most popular bands when I was a teenager were the Beatles and the Stones.

Not really, I still love all the music I grew up with. I mostly listen to oldies now a lot more than new stuff. Some of the oldies I used to love sound corny and silly to me now, and some that seemed too far out or radical I have grown to love.

Just For Fun Questions:

Yes, I wish I could go back to my freshman year in college. I would have spend more time studying and less time dating, and I would have stayed in school and gotten a degree instead of dropping out to follow a boyfriend across the country.
No, I don't think I would do that. Life in the "good old days" wasn't really so good. I wouldn't want to have to do all the manual labor that women did in those days and live without electricity, central heating, modern medical care, automobiles and other modern conveniences.
No, I think I would feel out of place in the future. Everything would seem strange, and I wouldn't know anyone because all my friends and family would be long dead. I prefer to live in the present, thank you.

Thanks, Mike!

Old 10-20-2013, 12:56 AM

14,361 posts, read 6,915,350 times
Questions Of The Day:

- Average or different? Average
- Curious or indifferent? Curious
- Well-behaved or unruly? Well-behaved
- Very active or laid-back? Active
- Mellow or rowdy? Mellow
- Very quiet or very talkative? Talkative
- Cautious or adventerous? Cautious

How many siblings did you grow up with? 3

What type of music did you listen to while gowing up, and what were the bands that were popular in your pre-teen and teen years? Pop, rock. Chicago, Led Zeppelin and the Eagles were popular when I was a teenager.

Did your taste in music change as you got older? Not really.
I still listen to music from that era.

Just For Fun Questions:

Did you ever get into a situation where you wished you could go back in time and do something differently to change the outcome? Yes, but nothing as portrayed in the movie "Back to the Future."

If you were given a chance to go back in time for one day, and live among your ancestors, or other people from the past, would you do it? If yes, which place and time period would pick? I would have liked living near my grandparents, since I grew up not knowing them.

If you were given a chance to go forward into the future for one day, and live among people of future generations in your family or others, would you do it? If yes, how many years in the future would you go forward and where? No, I'm happy to stay here in the present.

October 20th In History:
1820 - Spain sells part of Florida to the United States for $5 million I wonder if they said, "I have some swampland to sell you."
1864 - President Lincoln formally establishes Thanksgiving Day as a national holiday My favorite holiday!
1944 - U.S. forces under General Douglas MacArthur return to the Philippines They kept their promise! God bless General MacArthur and God bless the USA.

Everyone have a very enjoyable and a very safe Sunday. Thanks, and you do the same!

Old 10-20-2013, 01:03 AM
bjh

20,265 posts, read 11,834,411 times
Questions Of The Day:

- Average or different?
- Very active or laid-back? bit of both
- Mellow or rowdy?
- Cautious or adventerous? also both

How many siblings did you grow up with? 4

What type of music did you listen to while gowing up, and what were the bands that were popular in your pre-teen and teen years? whatever was on the radio.

Did your taste in music change as you got older? I appreciate rock more.

Just For Fun Questions:

I think everyone has. For instance, there was the time I dropped by bread jam side down.

Yes, but just one day?! Tough choice though since I've done a lot of genealogy. Maybe visit one of the relatives who presents a brick wall to further research to find out what they would have known. So that means New York, mid 1800s for the ancestor I'm thinking of.

I don't think I'd want to go there. Know what happens, yes. Go there. No thanks.

Thanks for the Qs, Mike!

Old 10-20-2013, 01:11 AM

4,253 posts, read 3,089,997 times
Questions Of The Day:

- Average or different?

I was average most of the time. Once in a while I would go against the flow

I was fairly curious. However I did not let it get me in trouble

Very well behaved

Because I was sick a lot during early years I think that led to my being some what laid-back.

- Mellow or rowdy?
Very mellow. Did not get rowdy til my college years

Kind of in the middle. I was talkative but knew when to shut up

Both

One sister two years older than me

Did not grow up listening to music. Not because I was not allowed, but because there just was not any playing. For several years I lived in places that did not have any radio or tv stations

I like 70's rock. I also like early jaz. Have no use for the new age jaz

Just For Fun Questions:

Nope. My motto is "It is what it is" If you go back and change something you just might make things worse.

My ancestors never did anything for me. The ones of royality all ended up on the wrong side of whatever uprising was going on and were sent to the guillotine before any of the family money could make it to America to make future generations (me) rich.

I will pass on going to the future. As much as I would try to resist finding out, at some point of time I would find out how and when I died. The rest of my life would not be fun knowing when I was going to die.

Old 10-20-2013, 01:15 AM

7,652 posts, read 1,449,899 times
Questions Of The Day:

- Average or
different?
-
Curious or indifferent?
- Well-behaved or
unruly - not entirely unruly but not well behaved
Half and half
- Mellow or rowdy?
Half and half
- Very quiet or very
talkative?
Not cautious but not overly adventurous

One

Pre-teen - Elvis, Bobby Vinton, Bobby Vee, Brian Hyland, Brenda Lee, etc. Teen - Beatles, Stones, Hollies, Hermans Hermits, etc.

Not really, but they did broaden substantially.

Just For Fun Questions:

Yes, a few. Nothing dramatic though.

With my current obsession with genealogy, I'd like to go back to the late 1800s in England to solve a couple of mysteries.

I'd go forward about 50 years to see how my daughter and grandson's lives turned out after my demise.

Thanks Mike.

Have a peaceful Sunday everyone.

Last edited by Kobber; 10-20-2013 at 01:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics