Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 12:27 AM

2,493 posts, read 4,368,999 times

Advertisements

Hello. My name is GreenMachine, and I am an Internet Addict.

I spend 15-18 hours a day on my computer and the Internet.

When I am not staring into my computer screen, I am either taking a bath, eating, or sleeping.

I only talk to people online. All my friends are virtual.

When I go out into the real world, I wear a sweatshirt with a hood over my head. I don't speak to people unless I have to.

Does anybody else have this problem? What can I do? Is there hope?

Greenie

Old 11-30-2007, 06:14 AM

38 posts, read 153,920 times
Default Accepting Who You Are

Being sociable isn't for everyone. Some people are more introverted, and some are more extroverted. There's no real right or wrong, I don't feel that people should feel compelled to try to adjust their personality simply to be more like others.

It's commonly viewed that going out is healthy, and staying inside is not. But look at what people generally do when they go out -- bars, night clubs, gambling, etc. And when you compare these activities with staying home on your computer, being on the computer is actually much more constructive. You learn all kinds on new things. If you're on message boards, you're developing your writing skills. The latest developments in the news is just a click away, etc. So the common view of going out as healthy and staying in as unhealthy, isn't terribly accurate.

I feel that the best thing a person can do for themself is to go with the grain of their personality. If you're on the introverted side, learn to accept and appreciate it and don't succumb to group pressure to make yourself like the majority. It's ok not to go out bar hopping and getting DUIs like everyone else. Learn, grow, explore; the internet can be very positive if approached properly.

Old 11-30-2007, 06:24 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,304,140 times
You are so social GreenMachine, and I have always loved your posts, so it is hard to believe that you are inside all day long and only have Internet friends. I think that YumYum has offered you some good advice. If it really bothers you then I would suggest getting counseling.

I had an Internet addiction at one time, but then I began only allowing myself to be on the computer for a certain length of time. You could cut back your hours slowly, but then you would have to fill in your time other ways, like reading, TV, taking walks. Walking is very important. What clued me in to what happens when you sit for hours was the fact that my legs began swelling up. My sister ended up with blood clots in her legs due to her Internet addiction, and my husband got the same from sitting around all day long. They traveled to his lungs, but he is okay now, as is my sister. And then you can get diabetes from sitting around or so I think.

Old 11-30-2007, 06:32 AM

38 posts, read 153,920 times
Default Exercise

Good point, I didn't think about that. Aside from the issue of being introverted or not, that amount of hours every day you're spending in front of the computer isn't doing your body good. You definitely should try to get some exercise in.

Old 11-30-2007, 11:56 AM

Well, looks like I am not alone. I really do enjoy being on the computer. I like talking to people on this forum, and I love researching and reading. Sometimes I'll read about a topic on the forum, and then I'll go and spend hours researching it online. I just worry sometimes that I loose myself on the computer. Suddenly, I'll look up and it's nearly midnight. I'll go into the bathroom to brush my teeth, and I don't even recognize that stranger staring back at me in the mirror. My eyes are swollen and I look sloppy and unkempt. And I realize I've been wearing nothing but sweatpants for days. I get the feeling that somewhere beneath it all, is a silent pool of unhappiness. I go to bed, wake up, and the first thing I do in the morning is make coffee and check email.

Old 11-30-2007, 12:07 PM

610 posts, read 3,308,904 times
Drug of choice.
Substitute for life.
Gotta go - have other sites.

Old 11-30-2007, 12:20 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,338,114 times
What do you do for a living? Admittedly, I am on the computer a lot, too - but not on the forum. My work requires me to be in front of a screen but I do have a life, exercise, enjoy nature, swim, go out to restaurants - and this is after sitting in front of a screen for 10 or so hrs. a day.

My advice to you is to get out, take a walk, take a shower, take a health day and get renewed.

Old 11-30-2007, 12:53 PM

I'm on the computer for work too. My work involves writing and research, so I'm totally sucked in and glued to monitor.

Guess, I'm not the only one. Must be a lot of internet addicts on this site. Maybe I should write an article about it.... hmmmm

Greenie

Old 11-30-2007, 03:07 PM

21,873 posts, read 19,028,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post

Does anybody else have this problem? What can I do? Is there hope?
I had to go cold turkey and not by choice. I moved to a remote wilderness area. My laptop broke. The computers at work got blocked. I didn't know what I would do. So I started checking out books (real books at the tiny community library). I remembered that I used to love to read, discovered I still do. I felt better. My health improved. Now I am back in the city and chose not to get internet at home or replace my laptop. I only get on a few hours a week. Otherwise I get sucked into lots of unhealthy (for me; you have to be the judge for yourself) extremes, ie no exercise, no peace of mind, meeting weird guys online and then wondering why I don't have any real in-person dates...

As a mom I was worried that my 3 sons growing up spent all their time on the computer. I thought they would turn into violent zombies. Now they are in their 20s and getting great jobs because they have computer skills, my eldest is making a ton of money (more than me, and I am 49) yes at computers. I have seen him develop and exhibit leadership skills, teamwork skills that employers prize, job skills that translate to lots of money. Now I am glad they have those skills.

But any extreme of anything that shows up in ill health, unkemptness, or a lack of balance, you know if you feel calm and in balance, is good to address.

A good rule of thumb regarding addictions versus healthy passions is....taken to its end point, its extreme, an addiction leads to a decline in life, it takes away life. A healthy passion taken to its extreme is life giving, enhances quality of life.

Old 11-30-2007, 03:11 PM

21,873 posts, read 19,028,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnr View Post
Drug of choice.
Substitute for life.
Gotta go - have other sites.
this is great.
p.s. 12-step programs are great too and they really work
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics