Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 10:32 AM

8,002 posts, read 18,606,137 times

Advertisements

My parents 50th wedding anniversary is a year and a half away. I've been tossing around several different ideas. Maybe a surprise family trip with just the adults (my parents and my siblings). A big trip with the grandkids included. A party at a hall. A picnic at a park. Something affordable.

Also tossing around ideas about a videotape of all of our lives from the time they met up until the current.

Please give me and ideas or things you have done. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2007, 10:54 AM

3,401 posts, read 13,372,020 times
MJB! The 50th wedding anniversary, is GOLD! bling bling!

Here are some ideas I found online.

Ways to Celebrate Your 50th Anniversary: 50th Anniversary Celebration Suggestions - Ideas and Symbols

I'm gonna keep looking! A picinic sounds like a beautiful idea... but the weather is turning colder, and less predictable, unless they live somewhere that this could be a valid suggestion?

Old 12-03-2007, 10:57 AM

Their anniversary is in June ~ Michigan ~ beautiful time of the year

My dad is from Brooklyn, I was thinking maybe a weekend in New York with all our family and his old buddies from high school joining in.....

Old 12-03-2007, 11:21 AM

13,791 posts, read 8,155,037 times
Hey mjb...my parent's 50th is this April...I've been tossing around ideas including setting up a few huge open-air tents on their acreage and having it catered, etc...that way, no one is stuck cooking or having to clean up afterward and can concentrate on the party....having old friends and family come of course...old pics of them scattered all around or blown up to large sizes and set up on easels.

My parents are also BIG Republicans and so I have looked into getting a personalized congratulatory letter from Pres and Mrs Bush to them on their anniversary...they'll sign it and everything and they'll only do it for very special occasions like a 50th anniversary. I researched it online at their website and found all this out. I may also get the Gov of Texas (Republican also) to send a personalized letter that is signed along with the Repub. Senators from this state. Also, if you put in a request early enough, you can have your Senator get the US flag that was flown over the Capitol sent to them...they fly a lot of flags so there's quite a few to send out for special occasions...

Hope this helps give you some ideas...

Old 12-03-2007, 11:46 AM

4,610 posts, read 11,102,010 times
940, That sounds nice.

Mjb68, what about doing something up in Ann Arbor? Maybe a long weekend with family and friends to celebrate their anniversary.

Old 12-03-2007, 03:51 PM

2,355 posts, read 2,182,644 times
When my grandparents celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary, we gathered up them their children and grandchildren together for a lovely session at a professional photographer then bought lovely frames for a very large picture of my grandparents.

Old 12-04-2007, 05:55 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
Try a carved Lovespoon a Welsh tradition . They are a wonderful and more personal gifts and everyone I know loves them. They started out as a present carved by a man for his beloved but are now for all occasions. It is unusual and they do lots of different designs, in fact some carvers will make your own design if you have anything special in mind and more meaningful.

They will ship to the US and you can have the spoon carved with the names and relevant date .
Lovespoons @ THE LOVESPOON GALLERY MUMBLES SWANSEA WALES. ( my favourite)
Welsh love spoons
Welsh Lovespoons Online Shop
Mike Davies Welsh Lovespoons
Hand Carved Welsh Lovespoons Make Unique Celtic Gifts
Welsh Love Spoons - Celtic Lovespoons from Wales
index.html
THE LOVESPOON WORKSHOP

Otherwise how about something like a Hot air ballooning trip with champagne breakfast watched by the whole family ( we did this for my father in law' 70th birthday and he loved it) and then a nice lunch somewhere afterwards ?

Old 12-04-2007, 08:09 AM

Hey 940, DM me that website, they are big Republicans too, they would love that!!

Roma, what's there to do in Ann Arbor?? I don't think I've ever been there. I was thinking Frankenmuth, my mom's favorite place, but NOT my dad's favorite!! LOL

eyhossenlopp ~ that's a great idea, getting everyone together in one day will be tough though! I think we will try that

Moose - another great idea, maybe I can do some searching for something with their heritage. The hot air baloon is a great idea, I can't get my mother on a plane though, don't know if she'd go for that!! LOL

Keep em coming

Old 12-04-2007, 08:36 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,351,670 times
When my parents reached thier 50th we were on our 25th, we were all going to go to Vegas and renew our vows, I thought that was cool. Unfortunatly I got into a motorcycle accident and spent a year healing instead.

Old 12-04-2007, 05:11 PM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
How about a sort of "this is your life" kind of thing with lots of memories from family and friends and maybe a big scrapbook with photos and other special mementoes of their life together ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics