U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 05:58 AM

17,835 posts, read 28,087,340 times

Advertisements

Wake up !!!!!!
rofl haven't you ever just wanted to shout that in your house when you were up and no one else was

ok that is not todays question

Good morning everyone
Todays question :

Are you gullible ?

and because "inquiring minds need to know" a yes or no will just not cut it

Tell us the funniest thing you fell for.
Again we will not laugh at you but with you

If you are really bored you can take this little gullibility test
The Gullibility Factor test at NewsTarget.com
I am a free thinker lol

Today in history :
December 8, 1952 1st TV acknowledgment of pregnancy (I Love Lucy)

Word of the day :
mendicant \MEN-dih-kunt\, noun:
1. A beggar; especially, one who makes a business of begging.
2. A member of an order of friars forbidden to acquire landed property and required to be supported by alms.

Today is National Chocolate Brownie Day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2007, 06:06 AM

5,298 posts, read 5,455,244 times
Not so much,I can't think of anything off the top of my head Karla,but I know I've fallen prey to being gulliable a time or two...lol

Old 12-08-2007, 06:24 AM

3,413 posts, read 7,483,722 times
Gullible- yes. When I was in my early 20s I moved from NJ to Florida. And anyone who lives in Florida knows there are lots of animals here that are different from those of the northeast.

I was visiting the Everglades with the man that would become my husband and we had lunch at a neat little rustic place- log cabin type building- cracker shack decor with lots of alligator heads and stuffed dead things.......

I noticed that one of the stuffed creatures was a rabbit with antlers. I had never seen one of these and my future husband (and future ex husband) was telling me about these creatures known as jackalopes that roam around the prairies of texas. And they were, essentially, jackrabbits with antlers.

The story was believeable- after all, who wouldn't believe that a rabbit could grow antlers, especially in Texas. And it was further endorsed when he showed me a can of something called Jackalope Stew in the gift shop of that restaurant. It even had a drawing of one of those Lone Star State Creatures.

So the next week we were having dinner with friends. I mentioned that I wanted to find out if our local zoo had a jackalope because I'd really like to see a live one. They looked at me like I was crazy but must have gotten the wink from the soon to be husband, because Gina (one of the friends) told me she had seen them when she went to Texas.

After some drinks and lots of references to Jackalope, they finally came clean and told me that they don't exist.

And that should have been my first sign that the soon to be hubby wasn't the right guy- after about 7 years of putting up with his crap including excessive drinking, I have him the boot and he is now a mendicant living with his mom and dad.

Old 12-08-2007, 06:27 AM

No matter what the little test I posted shows when it comes to certain things I can be very gullible.

Some times even though your brains is saying "nuh uh" I tend to believe it, especially if the person is pretty trustworthy an example :

When I lived in NJ I went out to the clubs a lot I was single and enjoyed life. Once a friend of mine from Phila was visiting and said "lets go into the city(NY) for the night( a friend of his lived there). lol well 3 days later I came home. We had a great time went to all the clubs out all night type of fun. Now any of you familiar with NYC knows you have to move your car from one side of the street to the other by 8 am.
Well lol considering we didn't get home till 5 or 6 this didn't happen. So I sotra "acquired" a few parking tickets.

Fast forward 6 months later I was at a friends house for dinner and his dad said something about going in to the city. I mentioned that I was kind of avoiding driving into the city because of the above mentioned tickets. (I didn't explain how I got them because well you know "the less parents know thing")

His dad said "Thats a good idea because they have cameras at the entrance to the tunnels that take a picture of your tag and if you have outstanding tickets they will be waiting for you at the end of the tunnel"

Well not only did I believe him but heres the worst part I told folks "be careful of those ticket cameras at the tunnel entrance"
lol I guess my friend finally felt bad (but i guess not bad enough because he waited 2 months) because he finally told me "lol my dad was messing with you, think about it how could they possibly do that"

rofl I turned red thinking "how dumb did I make myself look" when I was sharing my "ticket camera info"

Old 12-08-2007, 06:28 AM

pirate girl
we were posting at the same time

rofl I had to think twice the first time I saw one of those

and
YAY reps for using the word of the day

Old 12-08-2007, 07:16 AM

20,798 posts, read 8,127,491 times
Since it is just my hubbie and me no.................but
today my sister in law the mendicant will be coming over..............LOL

Old 12-08-2007, 07:28 AM

Location: Boonies of Georgia ~~~~ nuttier than a squirrel turd !
1,950 posts, read 4,500,092 times
gullible ???????
To a point.
My husband is currently working out of town. The past 3 weekends, he has told me he was not coming home. Well, low and behold, while we are sitting around the fire, guess who pulls up.
Yes, its a nice surprise BUT, I like for him to come home to a hot meal and a cold beer after working a full day and driving 6 hours. And when he "pops in", it kind of makes me feel inferior. (I'm a sap)

In the past, my first instinct was to give people "the benefit of the doubt". Family members that I thought were sincere and only to find out that in the long run, they were out to do harm. This isn't only with family members. We both tend to think the best of a person until proven otherwise. Unfortunately, it has been proven too frequently in the past 3 years. I have become sceptical , and have to remind my husband of the times "We were so very wrong" .
A form of self preservation, I guess. I got tired of going out of my way and bending over backwards to help someone, who eventually was going to stab me in the back.

Gullible or Niave ????????????????

Old 12-08-2007, 07:28 AM

3,413 posts, read 7,483,722 times
We all have them, Crazy.......

Old 12-08-2007, 07:50 AM

2,296 posts, read 5,056,974 times
As an apprentice, one of the old timers convinced a bunch of us young "gullible" newbies to walk to the superintendents office and ask him for our "Christmas turkey."
Needless to say the topic of the following mornings' safety meeting was, "Don't you dare send anymore kids to my damn office for their turkey!"

Old 12-08-2007, 09:20 AM

2,355 posts, read 1,869,352 times
Back when I was about 8 or 9, Nintendo was just coming out. My sister, Dalia, and I would play with our uncles, who are 9 years older than us. Well, they learned how to play before us so when they were teaching us how to play, Dalia and I were gullible enough to listen to them instead of learning on our own...we would ask what the fire button meant...they were not honest when answering. LOL...it wasn't until Dalia and I played WITHOUT them that we realized we were young and gullible...ah...youth!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics