Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 07:43 AM

44,346 posts, read 20,047,057 times

Advertisements

~ What places that are located in mountainous areas do you love? I haven't seen many mountains, but in 1991 I visited the state of Washington. I hiked on Mt. Rainier, and it was one of the biggest thrills of my life. It was an 80-degree day and I was walking in snow! Totally cool (pun intended!).

~ Have you ever had a good breakfast somewhere in a little rural town? Yes. Those are the best!

~ Have you ever had trout, pork chop or biscuits with sausage gravy for breakfast? Yes, yes and yes. This brings back a great memory of my younger days. When my dad and I fished in the Canoe Boundary Waters in northern Minnesota, we'd catch lots of lake trout. My mom's great-aunt sometimes prepared them for us for breakfast. She'd sauté them in a black iron skillet and would serve them with chopped hard-boiled eggs on top and melted butter. It was fabulous!

~ Do you prefer a big fork or a smaller fork? Something in between for entrees; a small fork for desserts.

~ What waterfalls have you seen - where were they? I've seen lots of little falls in Indiana state parks such as Clifty Falls park and Turkey Run park, as well as other little falls here and there. The biggest waterfall I've ever seen was Kakabeka Falls in Ontario, Canada. Beautiful! Welcome to Kakabeka Falls Provincial Park I'd love to see Niagara sometime, as well as some of the breathtaking falls in Hawaii.

~ Any roadside stops that you have made that you remember with good thoughts? I have happy memories of stopping at various little roadside diners and attractions when my boyfriend and I went on road trips on his motorcycle. That was a few years ago - in the 1970s!

~ Did you ever eat 'sliders', or those mini burgers? Yes. I used to eat White Castle burgers on rare occasions. The last time was in August of 1986.

~ Have you ever helped a creature get across the road? Yes, many times. I've helped turtles and snakes across the road. I also recall nudging baby robins across the road a few times when I was a little kid. We had a lot of robins in our neighborhood, and in the springtime there were babies all over the place!

~ Would you enjoy taking a little hike, camera in hand, in the Blue Ridge/Smoky mountains? I sure would. That sounds heavenly. Hiking and photographing nature is my favorite thing to do.

~ Have you ever visited a field near the woods? Yes, many times.

~ The steepest road you have ever traveled on? Either the streets in San Francisco or a street in Galena, Illinois. In both cases, I was really glad I wasn't the driver.

~ Please list some of the mammals that you have seen while driving: Deer, raccoons, coyotes, squirrels, chipmunks, opossums, dogs, cats, beavers, woodchucks, rabbits.

***** Happy Fryday, good folks of our group! May it bring you an increase in happiness and well being! Yes, happy happy Fryday, everybody!
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 05-30-2014 at 08:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 07:48 AM

1,906 posts, read 1,615,200 times
Mornin' all!

~ What places that are located in mountainous areas do you love?
I love any mountainous areas as long as they're capped with snow, and lined with pine trees. It's especially beautiful in Newfoundland and Alaska.

~ Have you ever had a good breakfast somewhere in a little rural town?
Sure! Whitsha Inn, Twillingate Newfoundland. Queenie made us some wonderful blueberry pancakes.

~ Have you ever had trout, pork chop or biscuits with sausage gravy for breakfast?
I make a mean soy sausage biscuits and gravy. Even my meat-eating friends like it!

~ Do you prefer a big fork or a smaller fork?
A shovel.

~ What waterfalls have you seen - where were they?
Just some relatively small ones, like in state parks.

~ Any roadside stops that you have made that you remember with good thoughts?
Too many to mention! Hubby and I love to go for little jaunts and just see where we end up. Then we do a little shopping and go home.

~ Did you ever eat 'sliders', or those mini burgers?
Yes sir! Loved them back in the day.

~ Have you ever helped a creature get across the road?
Many, many times. Mostly turtles in my area.

~ Would you enjoy taking a little hike, camera in hand, in the Blue Ridge/Smoky mountains?
Been there, came too close to a bear for comfort. Not again, no thanx.

~ Have you ever visited a field near the woods?
My sister's back yard is mostly a field near the woods.

~ The steepest road you have ever traveled on?
Somewhere we weren't expecting it. Can't remember where, but the road just before it was relatively flat. We came around a corner and dropped down to a 4-way stop sign at the bottom of a short hill. Wow!

~ Please list some of the mammals that you have seen while driving:
Around here it's mostly dogs, cats, possum, rabbits, raccoons, deer, red or grey squirrels, chipmunks, skunk, groundhogs, and occasionally fox, and coyote.

***** Happy Fryday, good folks of our group! May it bring you an increase in happiness and well being!

Wow! My Fridays have been so hectic I almost forgot how much fun it is to answer rainroosty's Qs!

The pics are from Newfoundland and Alaska.

Thanx rainroosty.
Have a great weekend everyone!
Attached Thumbnails
Fryday Questions ~ Mott the Hoople ~ 5/30/'14-mountains_and_pines_opt.jpg   Fryday Questions ~ Mott the Hoople ~ 5/30/'14-somewhere_in_alaska-_maybe_near_mendenhal_glacier_opt.jpg  

Old 05-30-2014, 07:50 AM

7,363 posts, read 5,478,151 times

~ Have you ever had a good breakfast somewhere in a little rural town? I live in a little rural town and yes, we have great breakfast places

~ Have you ever had trout, pork chop or biscuits with sausage gravy for breakfast? biscuits and sausage gravy, although not my favorite thing to eat.

~ Do you prefer a big fork or a smaller fork? big

~ What waterfalls have you seen - where were they? Dunnes River Falls in Jamaica.

~ Did you ever eat 'sliders', or those mini burgers? yes

~ Have you ever helped a creature get across the road? no

~ Would you enjoy taking a little hike, camera in hand, in the Blue Ridge/Smoky mountains? yes

~ Have you ever visited a field near the woods? yes

~ The steepest road you have ever traveled on? there is one by where I live that's pretty steep

~ Please list some of the mammals that you have seen while driving: I saw Santa Claus driving a car one time

***** Happy Fryday, good folks of our group! May it bring you an increase in happiness and well being!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvFp...5JGt5cF5lXEZc9

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjdPRuJN818
[/quote]

Old 05-30-2014, 08:16 AM

38,860 posts, read 22,849,388 times
~ What places that are located in mountainous areas do you love? Lake Arrowhead here in SoCal, Lake Tahoe in NorCal/Northern Nevada.

~ Have you ever had a good breakfast somewhere in a little rural town? Not yet but would love to someday.

~ Have you ever had trout, pork chop or biscuits with sausage gravy for breakfast? Biscuits with sausage gravy. Yum!

~ Do you prefer a big fork or a smaller fork? Standard size.

~ What waterfalls have you seen - where were they? Haven't seen any yet.

~ Any roadside stops that you have made that you remember with good thoughts? None noteworthy.

~ Did you ever eat 'sliders', or those mini burgers? Sure have. I love burgers, no matter what size.

~ Have you ever helped a creature get across the road? Not that I can recall.

~ Would you enjoy taking a little hike, camera in hand, in the Blue Ridge/Smoky mountains? Yes, in the autumn when the color of the trees are at their peak.

~ Have you ever visited a field near the woods? Yes.

~ The steepest road you have ever traveled on? In San Francisco, but I don't remember the names.

~ Please list some of the mammals that you have seen while driving: Dogs, cats, cows, deer, squirrels and opossums are the ones I can think of offhand.

HAPPY FRIDAY, EVERYONE!!!

Old 05-30-2014, 08:48 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,906,913 times
~ What places that are located in mountainous areas do you love? I love Red Rock Canyon in the Spring Mountains to the west of Las Vegas.

~ Have you ever had a good breakfast somewhere in a little rural town? Not that I can remember.

~ Have you ever had trout, pork chop or biscuits with sausage gravy for breakfast? Biscuits and gravy.

~ Do you prefer a big fork or a smaller fork? Big for the main meal and small for dessert.

~ What waterfalls have you seen - where were they? Many, many in New Zealand including the mighty Huka Falls. Others throughout the US, Europe and Ireland.

~ Any roadside stops that you have made that you remember with good thoughts? Parts of Route 66 in AZ.

~ Did you ever eat 'sliders', or those mini burgers? Think I've only had sliders once. They were yummy but more bread than I usually eat.

~ Have you ever helped a creature get across the road? No, but I stopped for a California quail family crossing the road just last week. Also stopped while others were trying to coax a large turtle off the road in Red Rock Canyon last month.

~ Would you enjoy taking a little hike, camera in hand, in the Blue Ridge/Smoky mountains? I would.

~ Have you ever visited a field near the woods? We have a lovely meadow that runs out of the woods and along the river at my WI home. It's very beautiful in the spring with wildflowers and tall grasses.

~ The steepest road you have ever traveled on? Through the Manawatu Gorge in New Zealand.

~ Please list some of the mammals that you have seen while driving: Cattle, sheep, dogs, cats, llamas.

Thanks for the questions Mr. Roosty and happy Fryday everyone!

Old 05-30-2014, 08:58 AM

24,445 posts, read 25,978,821 times
Fryday Questions ~ Mott the Hoople ~ 5/30/'14
The San Jacinto area above Palm Springs CA. Take the tram to the top, it's spectacular.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palm_S...Aerial_Tramway

We have had several in AZ and UT.

~ Have you ever had trout, pork chop or biscuits with sausage gravy for breakfast?
Only biscuits with sausage gravy.

Big

Lots of unnamed falls in the Grand Canyon, lots of them in Zion Natl Park, Hawaii and in WA state.

Zion Canyon Waterfalls (Zion National Park, Utah, USA)

Olympic Peninsula Waterfall Trail

Hawaii Waterfalls Top 10 - our list of the best that we've visited

Yep, Jacobs Lake and along old US 66 in AZ and many along AZ 89A.

Never had them.

Yep.

~ Would you enjoy taking a little hike, camera in hand, in the Blue Ridge/Smoky mountains?
Sure

Lots of times in my youth.

Hmm, a few in San Francisco, several back dirt roads in the CA and AZ desert mountains and a unnamed road around the north side of Maui, HI where we took a rental car that was a no, no.

Antelope, deer, whales, porpoises, farm animals buffalo, cats and dogs.

Thanks Roosty.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:39 AM

9,086 posts, read 1,459,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
Banff...haven't really been to any other mountainous place...Mountains are beautiful!

ummmm...maybe? Nothing stands out

none of the above

small

Niagara falls, balls falls, and others that I have no idea what they are called, but I love waterfalls too

not really

maybe long long time ago

Probably

several times

goats, horses, cows, bears, mountain goats, people, dogs, cats, deer, coyotes, buffalo, moose...and who knows what else

HOPE EVERYONE HAS A WONDERFUL WEEKEND!!!

Old 05-30-2014, 09:56 AM

24,766 posts, read 28,507,453 times
What places that are located in mountainous areas do you love? Here in my backyard on the Plateau of Tennessee

~ Have you ever had a good breakfast somewhere in a little rural town? Here at a local place best SOS around..

~ Have you ever had trout, pork chop or biscuits with sausage gravy for breakfast? Biscuit's and gravy enough for 2 hand size biscuits with a big bowl of gravy

~ Do you prefer a big fork or a smaller fork? Any size fork will do..

~ What waterfalls have you seen - where were they? Just down the road at Falls Creek Falls. The plateau is the land of cascades and water falls..

~ Any roadside stops that you have made that you remember with good thoughts? Many just drop dead gorgeous place here little babbling brook with a little 1-2 foot water falls..

~ Did you ever eat 'sliders', or those mini burgers? You say spiders.. Don't eat spiders.. Love big beefy burgers..

~ Have you ever helped a creature get across the road? Yes many times and I have gotten in trouble for stopping traffic while I carry turtles across the road..

~ Would you enjoy taking a little hike, camera in hand, in the Blue Ridge/Smoky mountains? Smoky Mountains are beautiful but the Plateau area has better scenery I think and less people and more hiking spots

~ Have you ever visited a field near the woods? Walk across my country lane

~ The steepest road you have ever traveled on? Newfound Gap road in the Smoky Mountains

~ Please list some of the mammals that you have seen while driving: - Humans -- Bears -- Skunks -- Raccoons - Cattle - cats & dogs ... occasional " Big Foot" they are here on the Plateau

Falls Creek Falls this past winter 235 feet in height..

Old 05-30-2014, 10:37 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,341,511 times
Fryday Questions ~ Mott the Hoople ~ 5/30/'14 ~ What places that are located in mountainous areas do you love?
Wow! Since I love mountains, that's too many places to list. However, it would include places in the Appalachians, the southern Rockies and the Andes.

I suppose the last time was in Mexia, Texas. BTW, that's pronounced Mah-hee-ah because I asked a local.

I don't ever recall having trout for breakfast but I have had crappie and perch in the morning. As to biscuits and sausage gravy in the mornings, I've had that three times this week.

A big fork that can hold a lot of peas.

The one's I recall that have names would be; Niagra Falls (NY/Canada), Sitting Bull Falls (NM) and Yosemite and Bridalveil Falls (CA).

MANY years ago, I swam in the pools above Sitting Bull Falls. Shhh! Don't tell the Forest Service.

Lots of those as well. I suppose the one at Mayhill, NM where we used to camp while deer hunting returns the most good memories at the moment.

Not that I recall unless those $0.25 hamburgers in the 1950s could be considered sliders.

Only by "shooing" them on across at a safe distance.

Never try to manhandle an injured wild animal. Last week I saw a large doe deer get struck by a family in a Toyota Tundra. Although obviously dying, the deer was attempting to get up but no doubt could have still killed a person with her flailing hooves.

I have done that while camping in Virginia. It's one of most beautiful areas in America.

I grew up in a farmhouse across the road from a very large pine wood forest.

Walking that would be a logging road with switchbacks in northern New Mexico while elk hunting.
While driving that may be Lombard Street in San Francisco.

Hmmm. I've been a licensed driver for over 50 years. I suppose I've encountered individuals in every scientific mammalian family of wild and domesticated species in North America, as well as many exotic domesticated species. It perhaps would be easier to name individuals I know I have not seen (but would love to see), i.e., a jaguar.
BTW, in regard to my "clutch petal" in yesterday's questions, I was of course referring to the petals of a wildflower species in the family called Clutchaceae!
I hope everyone gets to take off early today and especially wish everyone a safe weekend.

Old 05-30-2014, 11:16 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,869,458 times
Grand Teton National Park

Yes,,, years ago in a small Nebr town early in the morning while I was traveling on the road. Nothing ever has topped it yet.

~ Have you ever had trout, pork chop or biscuits with sausage gravy for breakfast? Love biscuits & gravy.

~ Do you prefer a big fork or a smaller fork? big fork

~ What waterfalls have you seen - where were they? Yosemite National Park, also Yellowstone.

~ Did you ever eat 'sliders', or those mini burgers? yes, I like the Chicago sliders best.

~ Have you ever helped a creature get across the road? Quail seem to always be a problem here.

~ Would you enjoy taking a little hike, camera in hand, in the Blue Ridge/Smoky mountains? I was there many years ago but didn't have the camera or the time to hike.

~ Have you ever visited a field near the woods? yes

~ The steepest road you have ever traveled on? Mt. Evens in Colorado

~ Please list some of the mammals that you have seen while driving: Buffalo, Deer, Elk, Fox, Coyote, skunk,

[/quote]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics