Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 06:47 AM

1,906 posts, read 1,615,810 times

Advertisements

Mornin' all!

My computer has been giving me some trouble lately. Gotta get that looked at.

Today's Question(s):
Today's technological devices come with a vast array of additional software and apps. Are you one to use many, most, or all of the available features, or do you have just a few that you use, and ignore the rest?

Have you downloaded additional programs?

What's your favorite app on your most frequently used device?

Bonus Question(s):
What has been a time in your life that has made you pause and just live in that very moment, taking in the awe and wonder?

Just for Fun:
Keep it family friendly.
I would rather ___________ than _____________.
I cherish ___________ above anything/anyone else.
I still have ___________ from my childhood.
I can recite ___________ from memory.

Today in History:
Arts/Entertainment: 1978 "Grease" starring John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John opens
Birthday: 1933 Gene Wilder, American actor
Politics/Public Affairs: 1987 Margaret Thatcher is 1st British Prime Minister in 160 years to win 3rd term
Pop Culture: 1977 Main Street Electrical Parade premieres at Disney
Science/Technology: 2012 Construction of The European Extremely Large Telescope (E-ELT), the world's biggest optical telescope is approved
Sports: 1978 Bjorn Borg wins French Open Title
World: 2012 Winds in southwestern Western Australia of up to 140km/h batter the area and leave more than 170,000 homes without power

Today’s Word:
plutarchy
Pronunciation: (PLOO-tahr-kee)
Meaning: noun:
1. Rule by the wealthy.
2. A wealthy ruling class.
Etymology: The Greek biographer Plutarch (c. 46-120 CE) has no connection with this word. Rather, it's Ploutos, the god of riches in Greek mythology. The word (and its synonym plutocracy and the word plutolatry) are derived from Greek pluto- (wealth) + archos (ruler), from arkhein (to rule).
Earliest documented use: 1643.

Today is:
Corn on the Cob Day
National (US) German Chocolate Cake Day
...Slow day today

Quote of the Day:
"So my idea of neurotic is spending too much time trying to correct a wrong. When I feel that I'm doing that, then I snap out of it." ~ Gene Wilder ~

Have a good day everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 06:56 AM

4,699 posts, read 3,279,018 times
Today's Question(s):
Today's technological devices come with a vast array of additional software and apps. Are you one to use many, most, or all of the available features, or do you have just a few that you use, and ignore the rest? I just use a few.

Have you downloaded additional programs? Yes

What's your favorite app on your most frequently used device? A local news app that I have on my IPad.

Bonus Question(s):
What has been a time in your life that has made you pause and just live in that very moment, taking in the awe and wonder? When I'm at the ocean nothing exists but water, sunshine and sand.

Just for Fun:
Keep it family friendly.
I would rather __health_________ than __wealth___________.
I cherish _family & friends__________ above anything/anyone else.
I still have ___good memories________ from my childhood.
I can recite __quotes from my Mom_________ from memory.

Today in History:
Arts/Entertainment: 1978 "Grease" starring John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John opens
Politics/Public Affairs: 1987 Margaret Thatcher is 1st British Prime Minister in 160 years to win 3rd term
Science/Technology: 2012 Construction of The European Extremely Large Telescope (E-ELT), the world's biggest optical telescope is approved
World: 2012 Winds in southwestern Western Australia of up to 140km/h batter the area and leave more than 170,000 homes without power

Today’s Word:
plutarchy
1. Rule by the wealthy.
Etymology: The Greek biographer Plutarch (c. 46-120 CE) has no connection with this word. Rather, it's Ploutos, the god of riches in Greek mythology. The word (and its synonym plutocracy and the word plutolatry) are derived from Greek pluto- (wealth) + archos (ruler), from arkhein (to rule).

Today is:
Corn on the Cob Day
...Slow day today

Quote of the Day:
"So my idea of neurotic is spending too much time trying to correct a wrong. When I feel that I'm doing that, then I snap out of it." ~ Gene Wilder ~

Old 06-11-2014, 07:09 AM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Mornin' all!

Today's Question(s):
Today's technological devices come with a vast array of additional software and apps. Are you one to use many, most, or all of the available features, or do you have just a few that you use, and ignore the rest?
I try to research all the features available on my gadgets, then utilize whatever I need.

Yes, I did.

On my computer I have many photography, travel, maps, office/work and news related apps.
On my phone I have additional weather, news, maps & navigation, office & productivity, finance and business related apps.

Bonus Question(s):
What has been a time in your life that has made you pause and just live in that very moment, taking in the awe and wonder?
Raising my son, and travel times

Just for Fun:
Keep it family friendly.
I would rather travel than work.
I cherish my family above anything/anyone else.
I still have lots of fond memories from my childhood.
I can recite many poems learned at school from memory.

Today in History:

Today’s Word:
plutarchy
1. Rule by the wealthy.

Today is:
Corn on the Cob Day
...Slow day today

Quote of the Day:

Thank you, PatCats!!

Last edited by elnina; 06-11-2014 at 07:29 AM..

Old 06-11-2014, 07:19 AM

11,369 posts, read 9,284,230 times
I can only answer this part so here goes:

I would rather be dead than face unemployment on October 1.
I cherish music above anything/anyone else. - (nothing else going for me right now and I am not close to anyone.)
I still have very bad memories from my childhood.
I can recite many songs from memory.

Happy Wednesday!

Old 06-11-2014, 07:46 AM

6,848 posts, read 11,802,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsCats View Post
Mornin' all!

Today's Question(s):
Today's technological devices come with a vast array of additional software and apps. Are you one to use many, most, or all of the available features, or
do you have just a few that you use, and ignore the rest?

I'm just happy when everything works w/o issues!

Bonus Question(s):
Most all of my life - there's a lot to take in each day w/awe & wonder if one pays attention.

Just for Fun:
Keep it family friendly.
I would rather _shop_ than _drop_.
I cherish _peace_ above anything/anyone else.
I still have _photos_ from my childhood.
I can recite _many things_ from memory.

Today in History:

Today’s Word:
plutarchy
1. Rule by the wealthy.

Today is:
Corn on the Cob Day
...Slow day today Yes, but enjoyable food day, yum!

Quote of the Day:

Thanks PatsCats for the QotD... hope all of you enjoy a great Wednesday!

Old 06-11-2014, 07:47 AM

4,041 posts, read 2,908,738 times
Today's Question(s):
Today's technological devices come with a vast array of additional software and apps. Are you one to use many, most, or all of the available features, or do you have just a few that you use, and ignore the rest? Just a few.

Have you downloaded additional programs? Yes, but not many.

What's your favorite app on your most frequently used device? Probably Words with Friends .

What has been a time in your life that has made you pause and just live in that very moment, taking in the awe and wonder? When I lost both my sister and brother within 18 months of each other, it made me focus on retiring while I could still enjoy traveling and experiencing new and interesting things. It has been great so far!

I would rather clean my car than my house.
I cherish my children above anything/anyone else.
I still have books from my childhood.
I can recite nursery rhymes from memory.

Thanks for the questions PC and happy Wednesday everyone!

Old 06-11-2014, 07:49 AM

51,691 posts, read 15,694,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsCats View Post
[b]Mornin' all!

Today's Question(s):
Today's technological devices come with a vast array of additional software and apps. Are you one to use many, most, or all of the available features, or do you have just a few that you use, and ignore the rest? I just use a few. I am not very tech smart.

Have you downloaded additional programs? Not lately.

What's your favorite app on your most frequently used device? Don't have one.

Bonus Question(s):
What has been a time in your life that has made you pause and just live in that very moment, taking in the awe and wonder? When I gave birth to my kids.

Just for Fun:
Keep it family friendly.
I would rather drive than fly.
I cherish life above anything/anyone else.
I still have some report cards from my childhood.
I can recite The Pledge of Allegiance from memory.

Today in History :

Today’s Word:
plutarchy
1. Rule by the wealthy.
2.A wealthy ruling class.

Today is:
Corn on the Cob Day
Slow day today - Yes, it will be. .

Quote of the Day:

Happy Hump Day!

Old 06-11-2014, 07:50 AM

126,277 posts, read 19,048,524 times
Mornin' all!

Today's Question(s):
Today's technological devices come with a vast array of additional software and apps. Are you one to use many, most, or all of the available features, or do you have just a few that you use, and ignore the rest? This is a subject I have no clue in,everything was installed by my son,he checks it regularily,I know I have now Window 8 and on our phone we have quite a few apps

What's your favorite app on your most frequently used device? at this moment FIFA World Cup App,Sports App to keep score of NHL Ice Hockey,Music among others...not installed by me

Bonus Question(s):
What has been a time in your life that has made you pause and just live in that very moment, taking in the awe and wonder? there have been many moments in my life,I live every day to the fullest and enjoy each day the way it comes.I definitely say raising my 4 children and traveling to India recently .

Just for Fun:
Keep it family friendly.
I would rather give than receive.
I cherish my children above anything/anyone else.
I still have children books and children records from my childhood.
I can recite several poems and the first verse of a Punjabi prayer from memory.

Today in History:

Today’s Word:
plutarchy
1. Rule by the wealthy.

Today is:
Corn on the Cob Day
National (US) German Chocolate Cake Day better bake a German chocolate cake today
...Slow day today that is great,I thought I am the only one here who is slow like a snail today

Quote of the Day:

Thank you PatsCats for the great questions...it is raining buckets here,everything looks luscious green and my vegetable is growing ...have a good one !

Old 06-11-2014, 08:09 AM

7,368 posts, read 5,482,511 times
Happy Hump Day!!

Today's Question(s):
Today's technological devices come with a vast array of additional software and apps. Are you one to use many, most, or all of the available features, or do you have just a few that you use, and ignore the rest? just a few

Have you downloaded additional programs? yes

What's your favorite app on your most frequently used device? I recently downloaded an app so I can get ebooks from my local library

Bonus Question(s):
What has been a time in your life that has made you pause and just live in that very moment, taking in the awe and wonder? on vacation, on a beach watching the sun rise.

Just for Fun:
Keep it family friendly.
I would rather do something I like_ than something I don't like_.
I cherish family and friends above anything/anyone else.
I still have _good memories from my childhood.
I can recite _childhood prayers from memory.

Old 06-11-2014, 08:14 AM

38,892 posts, read 22,875,846 times
Today's Question(s):
Today's technological devices come with a vast array of additional software and apps. Are you one to use many, most, or all of the available features, or do you have just a few that you use, and ignore the rest? I don't have a smartphone or iPad, so I'll use my PC as my device here. I use a few of the available features.

Have you downloaded additional programs? Yes and installed Microsoft Office.

What's your favorite app on your most frequently used device? A weather app that updates constantly.

Bonus Question(s):
What has been a time in your life that has made you pause and just live in that very moment, taking in the awe and wonder? Taking a trip to Monterey, CA and looking out at the spectacular view of the ocean.

Just for Fun:
Keep it family friendly.
I would rather stay home than go to work.
I cherish family and friends above anything/anyone else.
I still have nostalgic memories from my childhood.
I can recite many childhood nursery rhymes from memory.

Happy Hump Day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics