Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 10:05 AM

18,748 posts, read 11,707,041 times

Advertisements

Beautiful pictures as usual Jezer. What a shame the castle was destroyed. It must have been magnificent. Our home owners insurance policies are now over a thousand dollars a year for each property. Sometimes I wish life was a lot simpler.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 10:20 AM

44,245 posts, read 19,902,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
The POTD is;

Cost of insurance policies.
Don't get me started! I paid my homeowner's insurance premium this week and it just about killed me. I'm still dealing with paying medical bills not covered by my insurer, and this month had to also pay car and homeowner's insurance. Good grief!

The insurance company calculated the replacement value of my home at more than 5 times the amount it would actually cost to rebuild if it were a total loss. They told me the reason is because my old house has plaster walls and ceilings and the cost to build a new house with plaster would be extremely expensive. In actuality, my house is a small, 2-bedroom frame that will be 100 years old in 2015. It's kind of a crappy little house, though it has a certain they-don't-make-'em-like-they-used-to charm. The insurer values it at more than my sister's house, which is twice the size and in a fancy schmancy gated community.

The insurer also calculated the replacement value of my "out building" at almost $30K. IT'S A 6 X 8' WOOD TOOL SHED! The insurer says any out building, regardless of its size or style, is valued at 10% of the house value. Same thing with contents. I own nothing of great value, yet the insurance value of the contents is estimated at 30% of the value of the house value. How stupid it that? With a couple of phone calls and begging, I got them to lower my premium a little.

I've gotten estimates from two other insurers and, believe it or not, the price I'm getting from my current insurer is quite a bit lower than the others. Go figure. No wonder some people try to get away with torching their own houses for the insurance money.

Ha - I'll stop ranting now!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics