Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 08:05 AM

54,494 posts, read 33,866,725 times

Advertisements

TODAY IS:
  • Independence Day (U.S.)
  • Independence From Meat Day - Hmm.. I guess that.. Depends on who you ask... Of course some vegetables, like squash, grilled on BBQ, go very well with a rib-eye steak..
  • Invisible Day - I'm sure today will disappear quickly..
  • National Barbecue Day - I'll have my steak grilled medium... but rain is in the forecast here.. so I might have to wait..
  • Sidewalk Egg Frying Day - That's Phoenix in July...
Have a safe and happy day, whatever you do! - Thanks Pamela.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2014, 08:18 AM

591 posts, read 664,013 times
TODAY'S QUESTIONS!

Happy 4th everyone. What beautiful weather in Ca. to spend the day on.

How do you traditionally celebrate Independence Day?

Today will be quiet for us. Fireworks tonight. Sunday we are celebrating the 4th with family at our house. Hot dog, Hamberger's and trimmings. I almost forgot, Strawberry short cake. Children, grandkids and family.

If you live outside the U.S., on which day do you celebrate your country's Independence?

For those in the U.S., do you know the first 7 words of the Declaration of Independence? Yes I do.

In fact I know all of it.

Old 07-04-2014, 08:33 AM

5,903 posts, read 3,795,328 times
Hello, all! I'm totally jazzed that this year Independence Day has fallen on a Friday. I'll enjoy a 3-day respite from work. Yay! Before I get too giddy, let's get busy with

TODAY'S QUESTIONS!

We enjoy a diversity of members here from many parts of the world. Today is Independence Day in the U.S. Let's hear a little about everyone's traditions for celebrating Independence day in their respective countries.

It's usually just another day for me but this year I think I'll go downtown and watch the fireworks

If you live outside the U.S., on which day do you celebrate your country's Independence?

For those in the U.S., do you know the first 7 words of the Declaration of Independence?Didn't know that
Spoiler
"When in the course of human events . . ."

Declaration of Independence - Text Transcript

Do you know all of the words to your country's national anthem? Can you sing the anthem?
Most all the words and yes I could hum a few bars

BONUS QUESTIONS

Have you ever attended an orchestral concert?
Yes it was very nice

If you could play any instrument in an orchestra, which would you choose? Explain your choice.
A violin or something non-blowing, I don't have as much hot air as I used to

When was the last time you saw a live band performance? Details, please.
Not for a while but I did drive by a house where there was a garage band playing, they were rocking

If you've ever attended an outdoor concert of any music genre, tell us about it!
It's been years but used to every 4th of July they had a balloon festival and always had very good bands like Cheap Trick playing, it was fun even in the rain. Unfortunately they moved the balloon festival to May instead of July so it's never been the same

EXTRA SPECIAL BONUS QUESTIONS

Tell us about your favorite pizza. What type of crust, sauce, cheese and toppings do you like best?
My favorite is probably the meat lover's with a thin crust and lots of cheese

Do you like to sprinkle grated cheese, pepper flakes or anything else on your pizza just before you eat it?
Yes I sprinkle cheese and sometimes I dip the pizza in ranch dressing, yum

What's your favorite beverage to have with pizza?
Beer!!

NATURE QUESTIONS

I recently saw the episode of The Andy Griffith Show in which Aunt Bea made Opie plant some spinach seeds because she thought it would be educational.

Did you ever plant something from seed when you were a little kid? Did it grow?
Yes we had a garden growing up and I planted a lot of things that I saw grow, it's very satisfying

Have you ever planted a vegetable or flower garden?
Just vegetable, but I would love to have a flower garden

If you live in a home with a yard, how many and what species of trees do you have in your yard?
I have zero trees in my yard, it's a rental lot so I don't want to put a lot of money into someone else's property

Have you ever planted a tree?
Yes I have, several

TODAY IS:
  • Independence From Meat Day
  • Invisible Day
  • National Barbecue Day
  • Sidewalk Egg Frying Day it's hot enough that's for sure
Have a safe and happy day, whatever you do!

. thanks Pam!

Old 07-04-2014, 08:37 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,250,361 times
TODAY'S QUESTIONS!

We enjoy a diversity of members here from many parts of the world. Today is Independence Day in the U.S. Let's hear a little about everyone's traditions for celebrating Independence day in their respective countries.

If you live outside the U.S., on which day do you celebrate your country's Independence? We celebrate on the 6th of December. Traditionally people light two candles in each window (blue and white usually) and the usual way to celebrate is to watch the film based on the book The Unknown Soldier and watch on telly the guests entering the Castle Ball thrown by the President each year at the Palace (although last year it took place in Tampere and there were some violent riots which I somehow avoided, slightly disappointed about that) to see who has been invited and what they are wearing (oh the drama when one woman didn't wear a dress!)

For those in the U.S., do you know the first 7 words of the Declaration of Independence?
Spoiler

Do you know all of the words to your country's national anthem? Can you sing the anthem? I don't know all the words to Oi Maamme but I can usually to sing along. I also don't know all the words to God Save The Queen but really you only need to know the first verse for that one.

BONUS QUESTIONS

Have you ever attended an orchestral concert? Yes

If you could play any instrument in an orchestra, which would you choose? Explain your choice. I suppose I'd play a percussion instrument as that's what I'm used to playing

When was the last time you saw a live band performance? Details, please. Probably my friend's band, last autumn I suppose. Was in a small bar and there were a couple of interesting people dancing...

If you've ever attended an outdoor concert of any music genre, tell us about it! Been to a few but one that stands out in my mind was a Motown concert held in the Castle grounds in Rochester. It was really nice, everyone had picnic stuff and wine and it was just a really nice atmosphere with lovely music

Tell us about your favorite pizza. What type of crust, sauce, cheese and toppings do you like best? Normal thin crust, home-made tomato sauce, some pizza mix of cheese and the toppings are chicken, bacon, red onion and avocado, with garlic oil dripped on top after cooking

Do you like to sprinkle grated cheese, pepper flakes or anything else on your pizza just before you eat it? Garlic oil

What's your favorite beverage to have with pizza? A beer!

NATURE QUESTIONS

I recently saw the episode of The Andy Griffith Show in which Aunt Bea made Opie plant some spinach seeds because she thought it would be educational.

Did you ever plant something from seed when you were a little kid? Did it grow? Yes, me and my brother planted baby carrots and sugar snap peas. They grew really well and we enjoyed eating them

Have you ever planted a vegetable or flower garden? See above

If you live in a home with a yard, how many and what species of trees do you have in your yard? No trees in my garden but lots of birch and other trees that I can't think of the name of grow in the communal garden

Have you ever planted a tree? Not that I recall

Old 07-04-2014, 09:17 AM

24,468 posts, read 26,003,936 times
TODAY'S QUESTIONS!

The family that lives local will be here along with a few friends for a BBQ, then we will enjoy the fireworks from the driveway from the park that is at the end of the block.

For those in the U.S., do you know the first 7 words of the Declaration of Independence?
Yep

Do you know all of the words to your country's national anthem? Can you sing the anthem?
Yep, but singing it is debatable.

BONUS QUESTIONS

Yep

If you could play any instrument in an orchestra, which would you choose? Explain your choice.
The kettle drum cuz I like to make alotta noise like thunder.

Last year, it was just a local band that played to damn loud.

If you've ever attended an outdoor concert of any music genre, tell us about it!
No

Tell us about your favorite pizza. What type of crust, sauce, cheese and toppings do you like best?
Italian sausage, pork sausage, ground beef, pepperoni, bacon, ham, bell pepper, onion, mozzarella cheese and jalapeños.

Do you like to sprinkle grated cheese, pepper flakes or anything else on your pizza just before you eat it?
Pepper flakes for me.

Beer

NATURE QUESTIONS

I did, and it did grow.

Yes on the veggies.

If you live in a home with a yard, how many and what species of trees do you have in your yard?
Just 1 tree and I have no idea what it is.

Yep, the one above.

Old 07-04-2014, 09:18 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
[quote=PJSinger;35507482]Hello, all! I'm totally jazzed that this year Independence Day has fallen on a Friday. I'll enjoy a 3-day respite from work. Yay! Before I get too giddy, let's get busy with

TODAY'S QUESTIONS!

With shorties, silly 4th parade the village does every year, swimming, eating, fireworks, fireworks display, sparklers, walk stressed out Howie because he's too afraid to go out and pee, shower and bed.

Spoiler

Sure

BONUS QUESTIONS

Yes, it was in an antique house played with antique instruments.
Probably a violin, but I would rather learn how to play the organ so I could play some spooky music for Halloween.
In May at the beautiful Chicago theater. I swear I could stay there all day and just look at it.
Sure, our town has concerts in the park with different musicians. The last one I saw was a band doing ABBA with Lucille in her town. They were really good.

I'm craving a stuffed pizza now.
Sometimes but I've been passing on the hot stuff lately.
Just a soda or a glass of red wine.

NATURE QUESTIONS

I'm watching Andy Griffith now.
Yes and yes. Gardening as a child sparked a seed in my brain. It's grown over the years into a giant tree. Purple gloves make me go insane.
Yes, there is no grass in my yard. It was like pulling teeth trying to convince John to let me rip out the grass and plant a garden.
Tons of pine trees that shed millions and millions of pine needles. One is at least 5 stories tall and I think it's a Spruce. We have a deck around it and it's like sitting under a large green umbrella.

No not yet.

TODAY IS:
  • Invisible Day
  • National Barbecue Day
  • Sidewalk Egg Frying Day

Thanks Pam. Everyone have a great day. I'm heading out for a 12 mile bike ride in a few minutes. Then I think I'll be driving 45 minutes to pick up the shorties only to drive another 45 minutes in their direction for the fireworks later tonight. Poor Howie. This is a terrible day for him.

Old 07-04-2014, 09:28 AM

4,041 posts, read 2,908,738 times
TODAY'S QUESTIONS!

How do you traditionally celebrate Independence Day? I don't have any July 4th traditions any more. We used to go to the local park to watch fireworks when my kids were youngsters.

If you live outside the U.S., on which day do you celebrate your country's Independence? New Zealand celebrates Waitangi Day on February 6 every year. The traditional fireworks day however was Nov 5, Guy Fawkes Day.

Yes.

Do you know all of the words to your country's national anthem? Can you sing the anthem? Yes -- US and New Zealand.

Have you ever attended an orchestral concert? Yes -- Chicago and Milwaukee Symphony Orchestras, Vienna Symphony, Las Vegas Philharmonic.

If you could play any instrument in an orchestra, which would you choose? Explain your choice. Viola -- love their mellow tone.

When was the last time you saw a live band performance? Details, please. Some country singer and his band last year -- Neal someone. I was dragged there by a friend who loves country music (sorry folks, I don't).

If you've ever attended an outdoor concert of any music genre, tell us about it! Funnily enough, the last outdoor concert I went to was Willie Nelson at the Wisconsin State Fair. Now that's a country singer I enjoy!

Tell us about your favorite pizza. What type of crust, sauce, cheese and toppings do you like best? Thin crust with cheese, olives, onions, pepperoni and hold the green peppers please.

Do you like to sprinkle grated cheese, pepper flakes or anything else on your pizza just before you eat it? Nope.

What's your favorite beverage to have with pizza? Water, coffee or a glass of pinot grigio, depending on the time of day and where I'm eating.

Did you ever plant something from seed when you were a little kid? Did it grow? I often used to help my mother in the garden, so I'm sure I planted a seed and had it grow.

Have you ever planted a vegetable or flower garden? Yes, at almost every house I've owned. Not however in my current home. The ground is so hard that it takes a jackhammer to plant anything new! Fortunately, the former owner of my home planted lots of shrubs and trees for me to maintain and enjoy.

If you live in a home with a yard, how many and what species of trees do you have in your yard? I have crate myrtles and desert willows with lots of shrubs.

Have you ever planted a tree? Many years ago in New Zealand we planted a whole windbreak of pine trees upwind of our house.

Thanks for the questions Pam -- enjoy your long weekend. Happy 4th everyone.

Old 07-04-2014, 09:41 AM

54,494 posts, read 33,866,725 times
TODAY'S QUESTIONS!

How do you traditionally celebrate Independence Day? - By being.. Independent?

Do you know all of the words to your country's national anthem? Can you sing the anthem? - I never tried, but I'm sure I can do a better job than Rosanne Barr's most awful performance at the start of a San Diego Padres baseball game in 1990... I could post a video from Youtube.com but I'll refrain from it because it's very dishonoring and disrespectable to our nation...

BONUS QUESTIONS

Have you ever attended an orchestral concert? - Just rock concerts...

If you could play any instrument in an orchestra, which would you choose? Explain your choice. - Hmm.. I'm not sure if heavy metal guitar would fit in very well in an orchestra...

When was the last time you saw a live band performance? Details, please. - A live band.. as opposed to a Dead Band performance? It's been a while..

If you've ever attended an outdoor concert of any music genre, tell us about it! - It was loud....

NATURE QUESTIONS

Have you ever planted a vegetable or flower garden? - Hmm.. I planted vegetables... like green beans, zucchini, and parsley in the backyard... but nothing happened for some reason... I think I did something wrong...

If you live in a home with a yard, how many and what species of trees do you have in your yard? - They're called Messy Trees...

Have you ever planted a tree? - None that I know of.. However, I watered a few trees in a forest... when nature called... but I won't talk about that...

Everyone Have a fun and safe Independence Day and weekend.

Old 07-04-2014, 11:35 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Hello, all! I'm totally jazzed that this year Independence Day has fallen on a Friday. I'll enjoy a 3-day respite from work. Yay! Before I get too giddy, let's get busy with[/color][/b]

TODAY'S QUESTIONS!

We start the day with a neighborhood bike parade followed by popsicles in the park. It's a neighborhood tradition, and the kids all decorate their bikes in red, white & blue. The local fire station usually sends over a truck or squad to kick off the event. Very fun! In the afternoon, the kids will head to the pool with friends, where the community sponsors a lot of holiday activities. In the late afternoon, we'll all pile in the car and head to a cookout at my in-laws' house. Then it's off to enjoy the community fireworks before collapsing into bed.

July 4th

Spoiler

Yes. This year, we had a family dinner Independence Day trivia challenge, and since some things had slipped my mind over the years, it's been a great refresher course. And it's fun! We've enjoyed trying to come up with obscure facts to trip each other up.

Yes.

BONUS QUESTIONS

Many, and I've played in them, too.

I play a woodwind instrument, a couple actually.

As in a rock concert? Many years ago. Not really my thing.

One of my favorites was an Independence Day concert given by the Air Force Band of Flight.

Vegetarian on a thin crust. I like lots of different combinations of sauce and cheese, but I tend to go light. I do not enjoy greasy pizza.

Parmesan or hot sauce. Depends on the toppings.

Water, but that's pretty much all I drink.

NATURE QUESTIONS

Oh gosh, yes! Lots of stuff. Although I grew up in the 'burbs, many of my relatives were farmers. We always had a huge garden.

Yep. My latest addition was a group of thornless raspberries. They are just starting to bear, and the berries are delicious!

Green Ash, Blue Spruce, & Aspen

Yes, we volunteer to plant trees in our community every Arbor Day. Trees are very precious here in the Front Range.

TODAY IS:
  • Independence From Meat Day Yay for veggies!
  • Invisible Day
  • National Barbecue Day
Have a safe and happy day, whatever you do! Thanks! You, too!

Last edited by randomparent; 07-04-2014 at 11:49 AM..

Old 07-04-2014, 11:41 AM

9,086 posts, read 1,459,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post
Hello, all! I'm totally jazzed that this year Independence Day has fallen on a Friday. I'll enjoy a 3-day respite from work. Yay! Before I get too giddy, let's get busy with

TODAY'S QUESTIONS!

July 1st - Canada Day

Spoiler

I can but I have not done so for quite some time. We had to sing it every morning in elementary school

BONUS QUESTIONS

Only if band in school counts

Is there piano? Because the piano is cool? I likepiano and find it soothing, well some pieces of music can be soothing

It's been a few years...I'm not even sure who it was I seen last

Nope, neva, I live a sheltered life

I'm a very boring pizza person.....my favorite its smothered in cheese. Mozza, cheddar and feta...yum yum

Not usually...but more cheese is always welcome

Pepsi

NATURE QUESTIONS

Nope

My flower gardenbelongs to my mother, she plants it. I am not a gardener, plants do not do well in my care

4 trees - 2 evergreens, one with berries that the birds like and another one in the back that looks really nice when it flowers

Nope

TODAY IS:
  • Invisible Day
  • National Barbecue Day

Have an amazing day all! Happy Independence day to everyone south of the border!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics