Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 07:57 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

59,781 posts, read 30,205,270 times

Advertisements

Hello, everyone!

Let's get going with . . .

Today's Moving Questions:
Have you ever slid down a hill for fun? If so, where or when?

Do you like riding a motorcycle or do you think you would? Why or why not?

What's the greatest distance you've traveled in a single journey? From where to where?

What's a recent or memorable delivery to your home?

Bonus Park-It Questions:
Where's a place you paid to park?

Where have you received a parking ticket? Did you have to pay it?

Has your vehicle or that of someone you know been towed due to parking?

Any other parking experiences or thoughts to share?

Foodie On-the-Go Questions:
What are your favorite hand-held or eat-on-the-go foods?

What's the last food you ate in a car or other transportation?

If we looked in your usual vehicle would we find any food there? Any kind at all. If so, what kind?

You get to (or have to
) go to a restaurant drive-through lane. Which restaurant will it be and what food or drinks will you get?

Just for fun:
Never stand too close to __________________.

I sometimes feel like everyone __________________ but me.

I didn't ask for __________________, but I'm glad

Today in History:
1679 Ship called "Le Griffon," towed above Niagara Falls to become 1st to sail the upper Great Lakes of North America
1858 Australian rules football founded & 1st match played between Melbourne Football Club and Scotch Grammar
1909 Alice Huyler Ramsey & 3 friends became 1st women to complete a transcontinental auto trip, driving 59 days from New York, NY to San Francisco, CA
1942 Garrison Keillor, author of Lake Wobegon Days & host of A Prairie Home Companion, born in Minnesota (Where else?)
1947 Thor Heyerdahl's balsa raft the Kon-Tiki, landed at Tuamotu, French Polynesia after a 101-day, 7,000 KM/ 4,300 mi journey across the Pacific Ocean
1955 Tokyo Telecommunications Engineering, precursor to Sony, sells its first transistor radios in Japan
1959 Replacing "wheat" design, Lincoln Memorial goes on US penny back through 2008. (In 2009 the penny featured four themes of Lincoln's life.
Since 2010 the penny has a union shield. ---> The United States Mint Coins and Medals Program )
1981 The Washington Star newspaper ceased all operations after 128 years of publication
1987 Lynne Cox became 1st to swim from US to USSR, crossing 2 miles of the Bering Strait from Little Diomede Island in Alaska to Big Diomede Island, then USSR

Today's Quote:
"Let us not forget that the cultivation of the earth is the most important labor of man. When tillage begins, other arts will follow. The farmers, therefore, are the founders of civilization."
~Daniel Webster, American statesman

Today’s Word:
doff [dof, dawf] verb
to remove or tip as in greeting, ex. to doff one's hat
compare don, to put on, ex. "don your glad rags"

Today Is:
Lighthouse Day
Professional Speakers' Day
Purple Heart Day
Raspberries in Cream Day

This Week Is:
Breastfeeding Week
Bargain Hunting
Farmers' Market

Today's Picture:
North pier lighthouse on Lake Michigan in Manitowoc, Wisconsin

Made available on en.wikipedia.org by photographer Bill Chizek.

Have an illuminating Thursday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 08:41 PM

9,086 posts, read 1,455,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Hello, everyone!

Nice pic bjh!

It's been a long time. ..

It's been a long time since I have done that too but I like riding them

What's the greatest distance you've traveled in a single journey? From where to where?
8 hrs I think...from here to a town in Saskatchewan

I have no memorable delivery

Bonus Park-It Questions:
I pay monthly for work...last week I paid for street parking

Haven't had one for awhile amd the ladt one I likely paid

Noooooo

I'm empty

Right now? Bbq peanuts

Bbq peanuts

If we looked in your usual vehicle would we find any food there? Any kind at all. If so, what kind?
Crumbs

You get to (or have to
) go to a restaurant drive-through lane. Which restaurant will it be and what food or drinks will you get?
Awww man...but I want to go for 7 cheese spinach dip at Montana's and that's not drive thru-able. I will go with a bacon cheese burger from Harvey's and inion rings

Just for fun:
Never stand too close to _____a rhino_____________.

I sometimes feel like everyone __sleeps__________ but me.

I didn't ask for _______it___________, but I'm glad

Today in History:
1679 Ship called "Le Griffon," towed above Niagara Falls to become 1st to sail the upper Great Lakes of North America
1858 Australian rules football founded & 1st match played between Melbourne Football Club and Scotch Grammar
1909 Alice Huyler Ramsey & 3 friends became 1st women to complete a transcontinental auto trip, driving 59 days from New York, NY to San Francisco, CA
1942 Garrison Keillor, author of Lake Wobegon Days & host of A Prairie Home Companion, born in Minnesota (Where else?)
1947 Thor Heyerdahl's balsa raft the Kon-Tiki, landed at Tuamotu, French Polynesia after a 101-day, 7,000 KM/ 4,300 mi journey across the Pacific Ocean
1955 Tokyo Telecommunications Engineering, precursor to Sony, sells its first transistor radios in Japan
1959 Replacing "wheat" design, Lincoln Memorial goes on US penny back through 2008. (In 2009 the penny featured four themes of Lincoln's life.
Since 2010 the penny has a union shield. ---> The United States Mint Coins and Medals Program )
1981 The Washington Star newspaper ceased all operations after 128 years of publication
1987 Lynne Cox became 1st to swim from US to USSR, crossing 2 miles of the Bering Strait from Little Diomede Island in Alaska to Big Diomede Island, then USSR

Today's Quote:
"Let us not forget that the cultivation of the earth is the most important labor of man. When tillage begins, other arts will follow. The farmers, therefore, are the founders of civilization."

Today’s Word:
doff [dof, dawf] verb

Today Is:
Lighthouse Day
Purple Heart Day
Raspberries in Cream Day

This Week Is:
Breastfeeding Week
Bargain Hunting
Farmers' Market

Today's Picture:

Happy Thursday all! (When it gets here)

Old 08-06-2014, 08:48 PM

4,045 posts, read 1,865,603 times
Have you ever slid down a hill for fun? If so, where or when? Sure, I especially like sliding down a hill on a toboggan. Where... At our family farm, at the golf course, at my house.
My favorite place to slide when I was young was down Mile Hill. Guess how long it was. We'd go with friends & one adult would stand at the bottom of the hill to stop any car that might come along. So much fun... Can't do that now that people have built houses out there. But then there were a lot of things we used to do that kids can't now.

Do you like riding a motorcycle or do you think you would? Why or why not? Though I haven't been on one in years, I have my motorcycle license. Used to love riding.

What's the greatest distance you've traveled in a single journey? From where to where? Vermont to Florida, nonstop.

What's a recent or memorable delivery to your home? Hmmm..... Well, my son-in-law delivered my grandchildren to my house on Monday.

Bonus Park-It Questions:
Where's a place you paid to park? At the beach in Maine.

Where have you received a parking ticket? Did you have to pay it? At the beach in Maine. We were a couple minutes late going back to put more money in the meter and had to pay a $25 fine.

Has your vehicle or that of someone you know been towed due to parking? Ha.... My older daughter and I drove to Burlington for a concert. We parked next to a building, not seeing the No Parking sign. Came out of the concert about 11 pm, it was snowing & there was my car being towed away down the street. My daughter yelled things I'd never heard come out of her mouth. The tow truck driver said he couldn't give us a ride, but then he went around the block, came back and picked us up. By the time we got to the garage we were laughing together.

Any other parking experiences or thoughts to share? Well, I've stalked people at crowded shopping malls, followed people coming out, so I could get their parking spot...
Oh, and once at the grocery store someone backed out right into my car. I got out, upset..... until I saw it was a cute little old man.

What are your favorite hand-held or eat-on-the-go foods? Fruit, gorp...

What's the last food you ate in a car or other transportation? An apple

If we looked in your usual vehicle would we find any food there? Any kind at all. If so, what kind? Would not. No kind at all.

You get to (or have to
) go to a restaurant drive-through lane. Which restaurant will it be and what food or drinks will you get? Well, if I have to, I'll go to Dunkin Donuts for an iced coffee.

Just for fun:
Never stand too close to ...... first thought was fire. But then I remember my mother saying over & over, "Don't stand too close to the tv."

I sometimes feel like everyone __________________ but me. I have nothing for this.

I didn't ask for my son-in-law to mow one of the fields, but I'm glad he did.

Have a good day, all!

Old 08-06-2014, 09:12 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,470,078 times
Have you ever slid down a hill for fun? If so, where or when? Big Bear, CA in the winter in an inner tube.

Do you like riding a motorcycle or do you think you would? Why or why not? Fun, fun! Bugs on my teef!

What's the greatest distance you've traveled in a single journey? From where to where? 1432 miles. Route 66 from L.A. to OK many, many times.

What's a recent or memorable delivery to your home? My new speakers!!!! But the dumb butt UPS man got SKEERT of my german shepherd and left them clear out by the carport!

Bonus Park-It Questions:
Where's a place you paid to park? Oklahoma City.

Where have you received a parking ticket? Did you have to pay it? Just got one for $150 for using our expired handicapped sticker.

Any other parking experiences or thoughts to share? Stupid people cannot park between the lines!

What are your favorite hand-held or eat-on-the-go foods? Fast food hamburgers.

What's the last food you ate in a car or other transportation? McD's this morning.

If we looked in your usual vehicle would we find any food there? Any kind at all. If so, what kind? Never! I have mice in my car.

You get to (or have to
[b] ) go to a restaurant drive-through lane. Which restaurant will it be and what food or drinks will you get? Can't I just have fast food instead? I don't want any fancy restaurant food. Double bacon cheeseburger with mega-size fries and DIET soft drink.

Just for fun:
Never stand too close to ___caged zoo animals that are predators___.

I sometimes feel like everyone __gripes about McD's____ but me.

I didn't ask for ___good looks and charm____, but I'm glad I have them.

Today Is:
Lighthouse Day
Purple Heart Day
Raspberries in Cream Day

This Week Is:
Breastfeeding Week Cream for your coffee, anyone?
Bargain Hunting
Farmers' Market

Last edited by _redbird_; 08-06-2014 at 09:23 PM..

Old 08-06-2014, 09:21 PM

24,769 posts, read 28,381,455 times
Today's Questions: Thursday, 07 August 2014

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello, everyone!

Have you ever slid down a hill for fun? If so, where or when?.... As a kid up north.. My red radio flyer sled the fastest sled on the hill...

Do you like riding a motorcycle or do you think you would? Why or why not? Rode for a couple years.. till I had a accident..

What's the greatest distance you've traveled in a single journey? From where to where?Left Da nang South Viet Nam >> Bangkok Thailand >> Seoul South Korea >> Clark Air Force Base Philippines 12--14 hour lay over >> some were near Tokyo Japan another lay over of 10--12 hours >>> Anchorage Alaska ... another 10-12 hour lay over >> Travis Air Force Base California ... around 2am. They had to sneak us in due to protestors.. Bused into Treasure Island. San Francisco
I should also add these are military transport aircraft and your seat is a cargo net along the wall you swing and sway.. very little heat and very noisy and no food or refreshments unless you grab a cold one before leaving bathroom maybe.. the cargo is in front of you.. mail- ammo -- food -- jeeps -- caskets going home.

What's a recent or memorable delivery to your home? I have a little 4 foot Blue Spruce Tree. It's my Charlie Brown Christmas Tree

Bonus Park-It Questions:
Where's a place you paid to park?..... Disney

Where have you received a parking ticket? Did you have to pay it? Long story...

Has your vehicle or that of someone you know been towed due to parking? Nope

Any other parking experiences or thoughts to share? Can't share.. MIB will come and get me.

What are your favorite hand-held or eat-on-the-go foods? BBQ Beef Brisket

What's the last food you ate in a car or other transportation? Beef Brisket .. that was breakfast.. Pizza was lunch..

If we looked in your usual vehicle would we find any food there? Any kind at all. If so, what kind? BBQ Stains on the side of the seat...

You get to (or have to ) go to a restaurant drive-through lane. Which restaurant will it be and what food or drinks will you get?..... BBQ Hardies

Just for fun:
Never stand too close to _a elephant with diarrhea.

I sometimes feel like everyone has cloths on__ but me...

I didn't ask for it but I'm glad I did.....

Last edited by TN Tin Man; 08-06-2014 at 10:19 PM..

Old 08-06-2014, 10:14 PM

114,841 posts, read 65,523,285 times
Lightbulb Today's Questions: Thursday, 07 August 2014
Hello, everyone!

Used to! Just let my motorcycle also license drop a few years ago.

Bonus Park-It Questions:
Downtown SA tonight.
Never had one.
Not mine!

Burgers or tacos.

You get to (or have to ) go to a restaurant drive-through lane. Which restaurant will it be and what food or drinks will you get?

Just for fun:
Never stand too close to ____the flame______________.

I sometimes feel like everyone __is nuts________________ but me.

I didn't ask for __________________, but I'm glad

Today in History:

Today's Quote:

Today’s Word:
doff [dof, dawf] verb

Today Is:
Lighthouse Day
Purple Heart Day
Raspberries in Cream Day

This Week Is:
Breastfeeding Week
Bargain Hunting
Farmers' Market

Today's Picture:
Nice pic!

Thanks BJH!

Last edited by SATX56; 08-06-2014 at 10:24 PM..

Old 08-06-2014, 10:31 PM

11,326 posts, read 9,212,628 times
Hello all,

Hello, everyone!

Have you ever slid down a hill for fun? If so, where or when? - Sledding down the street I lived on when I was a kid. Not since.

Do you like riding a motorcycle or do you think you would? Why or why not? - Only once for 2 miles when I was 17. It was okay but no desire to do it again.

What's the greatest distance you've traveled in a single journey? From where to where? I've been to San Francisco 3 times from where I live in Maryland. I have a good friend that lives in the city.

What's a recent or memorable delivery to your home? drugstore.com is super, super fast.

Bonus Park-It Questions:
Where's a place you paid to park? Parking meters and garages. Various places. I think the last time was in late May.

Where have you received a parking ticket? Did you have to pay it? - I think I did get a parking ticket but I don't remember. It's been a very long time.

Has your vehicle or that of someone you know been towed due to parking? - Never.

Any other parking experiences or thoughts to share? - I can out parallel park anyone.

What are your favorite hand-held or eat-on-the-go foods? - I was in a hurry on Saturday so I finished up my pizza while driving. I took a nap before I went out and didn't allow enough time.

Sometimes I have an ice cream cone.

What's the last food you ate in a car or other transportation? The pizza on Saturday.

If we looked in your usual vehicle would we find any food there? Any kind at all. If so, what kind? - Two small packages of crackers.

You get to (or have to ) go to a restaurant drive-through lane. Which restaurant will it be and what food or drinks will you get? - I'll pass. If I have to I'll take a bottle of water.

Just for fun:
Never stand too close to a woman who is married/taken, if they are hitting on you.

I sometimes feel like everyone is in a relationship but me.

I didn't ask for a divorce but (in the end) I'm glad

Thanks, bjh.
Happy Thursday to all!

Last edited by John13; 08-06-2014 at 10:47 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-06-2014, 10:37 PM

51,696 posts, read 15,639,741 times
Quote:
hello, everyone!

Today's moving questions:
Have you ever slid down a hill for fun? Yes..if so, where or when? When i was a kid.

Do you like riding a motorcycle or do you think you would? I have ridden one as a passenger years ago.why or why not? Wouldn't ride now because it's too congested and dangerous now with all the traffic on the roads, especially where i live.

What's the greatest distance you've traveled in a single journey? From where to where? From nj to california and back.

What's a recent or memorable delivery to your home? Can't think of anything memorable.

Bonus park-it questions:
Where's a place you paid to park? The hospital

where have you received a parking ticket? I haven't.did you have to pay it?

Has your vehicle or that of someone you know been towed due to parking? No.

Any other parking experiences or thoughts to share? Nope.

Foodie on-the-go questions:
What are your favorite hand-held or eat-on-the-go foods?bananas, cherries, french fries...

If we looked in your usual vehicle would we find any food there? Any kind at all. If so, what kind? I don't eat in my car.

You get to (or have to go to a restaurant drive-through lane. Which restaurant will it be and what food or drinks will you get? If i have to go to a drive- through for food or drink then i will say kfc for some chicken breasts, mashed potatoes and ice tea.

Just for fun:
Never stand too close to a dog that has to pee.:d

i sometimes feel like everyone _sleeps__ but me.

I didn't ask for _my rescue dog__, but i'm glad i got her.

today in history:
1679 ship called "le griffon," towed above niagara falls to become 1st to sail the upper great lakes of north america
1858 australian rules football founded & 1st match played between melbourne football club and scotch grammar
1909 alice huyler ramsey & 3 friends became 1st women to complete a transcontinental auto trip, driving 59 days from new york, ny to san francisco, ca
1942 garrison keillor, author of lake wobegon days & host of a prairie home companion, born in minnesota (where else?)
1947 thor heyerdahl's balsa raft the kon-tiki, landed at tuamotu, french polynesia after a 101-day, 7,000 km/ 4,300 mi journey across the pacific ocean
1955 tokyo telecommunications engineering, precursor to sony, sells its first transistor radios in japan
1959 replacing "wheat" design, lincoln memorial goes on us penny back through 2008. (in 2009 the penny featured four themes of lincoln's life.
Since 2010 the penny has a union shield. ---> the united states mint coins and medals program )
1981 the washington star newspaper ceased all operations after 128 years of publication
1987 lynne cox became 1st to swim from us to ussr, crossing 2 miles of the bering strait from little diomede island in alaska to big diomede island, then ussr

Today's quote:
"let us not forget that the cultivation of the earth is the most important labor of man. When tillage begins, other arts will follow. The farmers, therefore, are the founders of civilization."
~daniel webster, american statesman

today’s word:
Doff [dof, dawf] verb
to remove or tip as in greeting, ex. To doff one's hat

today is:
Lighthouse day
Professional speakers' day
purple heart day
raspberries in cream day

this week is:
Breastfeeding week
bargain hunting
farmers' market

Today's picture:
North pier lighthouse on lake michigan in manitowoc, wisconsin

Made available on en.wikipedia.org by photographer bill chizek.

Have an illuminating thursday.
:d

Old 08-06-2014, 11:25 PM

44,553 posts, read 61,271,608 times
Today's Moving Questions: I'm moved...

Have you ever slid down a hill for fun? Yes. If so, where or when? Up in the mountains, in the snow, sliding down the hills on a waxy piece of cardboard years ago with the kids.

Do you like riding a motorcycle or do you think you would? Yes. Why or why not? Did years ago and it was fun. To old today and too dangerous for me.

What's the greatest distance you've traveled in a single journey? 22 hours. From where to where? Flying from Los Angeles to Sydney Australia, and boy were my arms tired.

What's a recent or memorable delivery to your home? Publisher's Clearing House notice that I was a possible winner of $10 million dollars. So exciting.

Bonus Park-It Questions:
Where's a place you paid to park? Airport.

Has your vehicle or that of someone you know been towed due to parking? Not that I'm aware of.

Any other parking experiences or thoughts to share? Dislike people who park taking up 2 spaces. That's why I park way out in the lot.

What are your favorite hand-held or eat-on-the-go foods? BBQ ribs, nothing on the go.

What's the last food you ate in a car or other transportation? Granola bar while traveling in the boonies.

If we looked in your usual vehicle would we find any food there? Nada. Any kind at all. If so, what kind? Zilch.

You get to (or have to) go to a restaurant drive-through lane. Which restaurant will it be and what food or drinks will you get? Probably Arby's and get a Super Roast Beef and a Coke.

Just for fun:
Never stand too close to a street sweeper or you might get brushed away.

I sometimes feel like everyone is high but me.

I didn't ask for it yet I got it , and I'm glad I did.

Nice sunset, we were just in Manitowoc a few weeks ago, nice place to visit.

Old 08-06-2014, 11:32 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,760,342 times
Quote:
Hello, everyone!

Have you ever slid down a hill for fun?
If so, where or when?
Nope, but my cousins & I once thought it'd be a great idea to ride their wagon down the steep hill on the street beside their house... did not end up well for any of us, concrete is not a very friendly surface to go sliding on!

Do you like riding a motorcycle or do you think you would?
Why or why not?
Tried that & it was fun, once was enough though.
Have no desire to go sliding on concrete again

What's the greatest distance you've traveled in a single journey?

From where to where?

DD's & GD's

Bonus Park-It Questions:
Parking garages at DFW, downtown Dallas, Houston & New Orleans.

Where have you received a parking ticket?
Did you have to pay it?

I often take a lunch of sandwich, chips & tea to eat in the car on my way to the big city to save time.

McD's ice cream cone yesterday

Maybe a stray chip or two

You get to (or have to
Probably just a drink - any one of them will do.

Just for fun:
Never stand too close to
_anything that bites_.

I sometimes feel like everyone _
declared it a slow-motion day_ but me.

I didn't ask for _
a lot of things that's happened in my life_, but I'm glad _for most of them_ !

Today in History:

Today's Quote:

Today’s Word:
doff [dof, dawf] verb

Today Is:
Lighthouse Day
Purple Heart Day
Raspberries in Cream Day

This Week Is:
Breastfeeding Week
Bargain Hunting
Farmers' Market

Today's Picture: Great photo, thanks for sharing!North pier lighthouse on Lake Michigan in Manitowoc, Wisconsin

Thanks, bjh, for Thursday's QotD! Happy Day All!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics